Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Final Was an instaget for me.

One of mayim's affectations seems to be that in the Jeopardy round she says "there's a daily double," when there is only one. And in the double jeopardy round she says, "there's the Daily Double," when there are two.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I won't say I NHO Just So, but I have no recollection of it.

I used to watch the Art Fleming version.

I used to watch Tennessee Tuxedo.
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:04 am How do you define "giant" (or "streak," for that matter)? Kevin Marshall went on to be a 6x champion after beating 8xer Tom Kavanaugh.
Grrrrrrr ....
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another twice-told here. Not right even once.

Congrats to Jonathan. We may get a rematch in the TOC now. Moot point because of the way final went but Connie had a chance to catch him late that slipped away.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:54 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:04 am How do you define "giant" (or "streak," for that matter)? Kevin Marshall went on to be a 6x champion after beating 8xer Tom Kavanaugh.
Grrrrrrr ....
I should have brought up Keller/Leach instead, eh?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

lstone19 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper?
Your obvious was a NHO for both my wife and me.
Yep, it's looking like I was fooled by the early returns here on the couch chez Penguin. I'm getting a better picture of the number of boardies who have NHO or only vaguely recall the existence of Just So stories. I'm tempted to make my concession speech to Mark early, but we'll wait for the poll numbers later today to make it official. There's still a chance we're both wrong and Wednesday's clue will poll much lower than expected. Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Mark, it's also looking like the poll might want to include "Twice Told Tales" as a popular alternative response? That one is catching me off guard as well.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:11 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:24 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm I watched a lot of classic cartoons as a kid (and as an adult) but I'd never heard of Tennessee Tuxedo. Connie must have seen it on her grandmother's TV.
At age 52 I watched it as a grade schooler. Seems like it was on after school as opposed to weekends. Was paired with other cartoons such as Underdog, Go Go Gophers, and Commander McBragg.
I understand what you mean by your first sentence, but there are other ways to parse it. :lol:
Coolest guy in 5th grade for 41 years and counting!
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 am One of mayim's affectations seems to be that in the Jeopardy round she says "there's a daily double," when there is only one. And in the double jeopardy round she says, "there's the Daily Double," when there are two.
I recall Alex doing similar on occasion. And me wanting to scream "there are two" at the television.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have heard of the Just So Stories but can’t say I have read them. I didn’t notice the Kipling name in the answer but probably still don’t get it.

I did get Tennessee Tuxedo right. I don’t think I have ever seen a TT cartoon. There was a series called Yogi’s Ark where all the characters from Hanna-Barbara were on some big flying boat and he was on it.

Edit…Looked it up and he isn’t part of the Yogi universe. Never mind.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I'm a fan of the Just so Stories, and I know a family whose dog was called "Taffy" after Taffimai Metallumai.

Also a big Tennessee Tuxedo fan, so my kids had to watch the show on DVD. 🐧 Recently, I was reminded that the character Mr. Whoopee was voiced by Larry Storch.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I did know FJ, but my general rule of thumb (for FJ only) is that if the answer isn't something the vast majority of the audience have heard of, the clue shouldn't have been used.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:19 pm I did know FJ, but my general rule of thumb (for FJ only) is that if the answer isn't something the vast majority of the audience have heard of, the clue shouldn't have been used.
My rule of thumb is that if it polls under 25% here it was either too tough or poorly worded. Above 25 and we're entering tough but fair territory. At the other end, above maybe 80%, definitely above 85%, it was too easy.

I'm already surprised that a classic of children's lit like Just So Stories has proved as much of a curveball as it has. I really thought it was almost as well-known as The Jungle Book and better known than, say, Kim or Captain's Courageous. I'll be further surprised if it polls below 60%. That would put it right at the lower end of the sweet spot (60% to 75%) as a basic good FJ clue. We'll see.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

lstone19 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 am
floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:30 am One of mayim's affectations seems to be that in the Jeopardy round she says "there's a daily double," when there is only one. And in the double jeopardy round she says, "there's the Daily Double," when there are two.
I recall Alex doing similar on occasion. And me wanting to scream "there are two" at the television.
I’m not a fan of how she says “the answer is the daily double” when the DD is selected. No, the answer has not been revealed yet. I’m sure Alex did this on occasion but it seems like Mayim does it a lot.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woppy T wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:02 pm
lstone19 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 am
I’m not a fan of how she says “the answer is the daily double” when the DD is selected. No, the answer has not been revealed yet. I’m sure Alex did this on occasion but it seems like Mayim does it a lot.
Yeah, but if Mayim is The One, we'll get used to these things and we'll either not notice or we'll find them endearing irritants like when Alex said "No harm, no foul" or brogued it up for "Rrrrrrobbbbie Burns!"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:52 pmCaptain's Courageous.
Seriously??? You with an apostrophe that doesn't belong? The world has officially gone to pot.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:27 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:52 pmCaptain's Courageous.
Seriously??? You with an apostrophe that doesn't belong? The world has officially gone to pot.
I blame Howard and Finnegan.
davey

Post by davey »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:36 pm Mayim needs to stop saying that contestants bid. This isn't Price is Right.
She seems oddly clueless sometimes. When Nima told his basketball story and said he would retire, she asked him "what are you doing here?". He meant retiring from basketball of course, but even if he had meant retiring in the usual sense, how would that prevent him from being on Jeopardy?
I found it odd that after Jonathan's story she said "The show must go on!" after he'd just told her he missed 2 shows...Presumably the show went on in his absence but I don't think that's what she meant. That he came back after 2 days doesn't seem so extraordinary....
The clue "I swear by him [Him?}" was weird. I didn't blame the players for the triple stumper or Connie from uttering her disapproval...
I'm assuming that the Just-So Stories are just not read much anymore. Maybe the writers had some inkling of that since they gave so much info in the clue. The only one I remember reading is "How the Camel Got His Hump." Funny that there was a clue about the camel's hump in this game...
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

squarekara wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:20 am Also a big Tennessee Tuxedo fan, so my kids had to watch the show on DVD. 🐧 Recently, I was reminded that the character Mr. Whoopee was voiced by Larry Storch.
And that Tennessee's walrus companion was named Chumley, which appears to have been why the youngest regular on "Pawn Stars" has that for a nickname.
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

1. I see a lot of references to a poll, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone point me to it? Thanks!
  2. Does anyone know how to get the Philadelphia clue?: "Lower Merion Township is one of the main line suburbs of this city." I can't imagine how anyone could get that one unless they grew up in Philadelphia or something.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm
  1. I see a lot of references to a poll, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone point me to it? Thanks!
  2. Does anyone know how to get the Philadelphia clue?: "Lower Merion Township is one of the main line suburbs of this city." I can't imagine how anyone could get that one unless they grew up in Philadelphia or something.
The weekly poll is posted by Mark Barrett every Saturday afternoon/evening. It'll be along presently.

I guess you just have to know where Lower Merion Township is. Some clues are like that. I thought it sounded Welsh and guessed Cardiff. :oops:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm
Welcome to the board, newbie. We have a weekly poll about the final Jeopardy clues for the week past, and this poll appears at 7:30 eastern time on Saturday. Look for it then or try your hand at older ones. I believe you can answer for 6 months.

Knowing that the Main Line refers to suburbs of Philly along u.s. 30 and that Philly's downtown is called Center City are basic geography. It's on the same line as knowing that part of Los Angeles is called the San Fernando Valley or that San Mateo County south of San Francisco is called The Peninsula. Recognizing the names of Central City counties is also basic geography. There is a list of about 20 of them that you should have memorized. Recognizing the names of suburban counties is advanced geography.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.