Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:59 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper? Wow. Mrs. Penguin and I both had our correct response locked in by the time Mayim was done reading the clue. Children's lit. The name Kipling in the clue. A description that can only plausibly refer to one Kipling book among the three or four they ever ask about. At least one of the contestants managed to guess a Kipling work, but how do you reason that far and not go the rest of the way?

On another note, I did not know that this was the supposed reason for the title. I always figured that it was a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that there wasn't any historical backing or authority for the stories. They were "just so".
Poll highest of the week? No chance at all that it is higher than Wednesday. I will also poll NHOI and you will likely find the number surprising as well.
Could be. I'll take the first half of the bet. How do we quantify "no chance at all"? At least 10 percentage points lower? I say this FJ will beat that spread even if it doesn't win outright, and it might very well do that.
W vs. F has two more factors: contestants 3/3 vs. 0/3 yet Hammer is is miss & get

My instincts are W has higher success rate by 20+ and definitely more than 10 points. I'll also pick over 20% for not NHOI for Friday's response.

24 hours from now we'll see how it's going.
Should one of us give an evil laugh and twirl his mustache?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I watched a lot of classic cartoons as a kid (and as an adult) but I'd never heard of Tennessee Tuxedo. Connie must have seen it on her grandmother's TV.

TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Mayim needs to stop saying that contestants bid. This isn't Price is Right.
She seems oddly clueless sometimes. When Nima told his basketball story and said he would retire, she asked him "what are you doing here?". He meant retiring from basketball of course, but even if he had meant retiring in the usual sense, how would that prevent him from being on Jeopardy?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm I watched a lot of classic cartoons as a kid (and as an adult) but I'd never heard of Tennessee Tuxedo. Connie must have seen it on her grandmother's TV.
But Tennessee Tuxedo is easily the world's third favorite cartoon penguin.
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

Would they have accepted just "Blanche" without the character's surname?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought "Holy Bible" should have been acceptable where they were looking for "stack of Bibles".
Last edited by Ironhorse on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Check out the comment a board member got at J5: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3149
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:59 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper? Wow. Mrs. Penguin and I both had our correct response locked in by the time Mayim was done reading the clue. Children's lit. The name Kipling in the clue. A description that can only plausibly refer to one Kipling book among the three or four they ever ask about. At least one of the contestants managed to guess a Kipling work, but how do you reason that far and not go the rest of the way?

On another note, I did not know that this was the supposed reason for the title. I always figured that it was a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement that there wasn't any historical backing or authority for the stories. They were "just so".
Poll highest of the week? No chance at all that it is higher than Wednesday. I will also poll NHOI and you will likely find the number surprising as well.
Could be. I'll take the first half of the bet. How do we quantify "no chance at all"? At least 10 percentage points lower? I say this FJ will beat that spread even if it doesn't win outright, and it might very well do that.
W vs. F has two more factors: contestants 3/3 vs. 0/3 yet Hammer is is miss & get

My instincts are W has higher success rate by 20+ and definitely more than 10 points. I'll also pick over 20% for not NHOI for Friday's response.

24 hours from now we'll see how it's going.
I concur with Mark on this (I have to quit using MB as long as Amy Farrah Fowler is hosting :lol:). I NHO anything from Kipling but the Jungle Book, and I wasn't desperate enough to pluralize it to make it a collective title. It may poll higher here amongst the elite boardie group, but I bet it is unknown to 75% of the unwashed masses.

I kind of associate cartoons like Tennessee Tuxedo, Underdog, Magilla Gorilla, and Mighty Mouse as failed efforts to replace the Loony Toon and Rocky and Bullwinkle classics. The new toons were hardly watchable if you were above 6 years old. I did like Top Cat, but it never went anywhere.

Congrats to Jonathan. He got some good gets.

Thanks, Mark for the link to your 2005 star turn. That was a tough position to be in for that final :shock: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:30 pm I watched a lot of classic cartoons as a kid (and as an adult) but I'd never heard of Tennessee Tuxedo. Connie must have seen it on her grandmother's TV.
At age 52 I watched it as a grade schooler. Seems like it was on after school as opposed to weekends. Was paired with other cartoons such as Underdog, Go Go Gophers, and Commander McBragg.
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

I'm going to pretend that Mayim is saying "bid" to balance out the many, many Price Is Right contestants who have said "bet" over the years.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bravo on catching the Asner and Ang TOMs in the video only clues, Mark!

I'd like to thank the Nintendo DS cartridge '100 Classic Books' for getting me this final. (Just So Stories was DLC for it!)
It was very...unique. A photo doesn't do it justice. Have a video of the... well... gameplay:

(It really was pretty freaking awesome, given I wasn't going to splurge on a Nook or similar at the time and already had a DS. Had its quirks tho: Little Women and Don Quixote were only the first parts, for two examples I can still remember)

I never came close to beating it. Plus the DS is in storage now.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed FJ. Twice-Told Tales, The Jungle Book, and Barrack-Room Ballads immediately came to mind. I picked Twice-Told Tales even though I knew it was written by an American, although didn't quite remember that it was Hawthorne. I'm sure I've heard of Just So Stories but it never stuck before.

Missed God and said Moses. Missed Harvard and said Columbia, missed salmon and said cod. Salmon have more reason to care about dams than cod do.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Mississippi, Elin Hilderbrand, Big Sur, Philadelphia, and Gotterdammerung.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:24 pm
At age 52 I watched it as a grade schooler. Seems like it was on after school as opposed to weekends. Was paired with other cartoons such as Underdog, Go Go Gophers, and Commander McBragg.
I understand what you mean by your first sentence, but there are other ways to parse it. :lol:

I will be 60 very, very soon and I remember those cartoons from Saturday morning--Wikipedia says mid-'60's, which seems right to me. (HR Pufnstuf came a bit later.)

I've heard of Just So Stories, but I wasn't anywhere close to getting FJ!. Went with Twice Told Tales to have something.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

tddeveryday wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 pm Jonathan is the first giant killer to achieve their own streak. Of course, there are only two giant killers now who have won more than one game, but still.
In the "pointless record" department, I think Matt and Jonathan have the most combined wins among ToC qualifiers whose original runs have overlapped. I think the only ones in the same range are Holzhauer and Boettcher, who have 35 compared to the current streak of 43.

Was worried about whether it was "Twice Told Tales" or "Twice Told Stories" for FJ, only to realize afterwards that I was dead wrong and Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote them. Oops. Hopefully I can redeem myself when Children's Lit is the FJ category again in two weeks.

Kobe Bryant attended Lower Merion High School in Philadelphia. No surprise Nima the basketball fan got that one.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

tddeveryday wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 pm Jonathan is the first giant killer to achieve their own streak. Of course, there are only two giant killers now who have won more than one game, but still.
How do you define "giant" (or "streak," for that matter)? Kevin Marshall went on to be a 6x champion after beating 8xer Tom Kavanaugh.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Instaget on FJ for me. I didn't even think about "Twice Told Tales".
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I have Captain Kangaroo (!) to thank for knowing this FJ!, due to a record album that carried me through ages 6-8.

To this day, I still remember How the Camel Got his Hump and one about a Kangaroo (title escapes me---it had a song that I can still hear in my mind's eye today).
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper?
Your obvious was a NHO for both my wife and me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

lstone19 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:47 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm How did an obvious triple get which will poll the highest of any FJ this week become a triple stumper?
Your obvious was a NHO for both my wife and me.
Ditto for my husband and me.