Page 4 of 4

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm
by Leander
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm
  1. I see a lot of references to a poll, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone point me to it? Thanks!
  2. Does anyone know how to get the Philadelphia clue?: "Lower Merion Township is one of the main line suburbs of this city." I can't imagine how anyone could get that one unless they grew up in Philadelphia or something.
Weekly poll will be posted in about an hour.

“Main line” is probably the key. It’s often used to refer to a series of older Philly suburbs, which I assume lie on a railway line. Never seen it in regard to another city.

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:38 pm
by tddeveryday
seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:04 am
tddeveryday wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 pm Jonathan is the first giant killer to achieve their own streak. Of course, there are only two giant killers now who have won more than one game, but still.
How do you define "giant" (or "streak," for that matter)? Kevin Marshall went on to be a 6x champion after beating 8xer Tom Kavanaugh.
By "streak," I'm referring to someone who has won five or more games, which I think is the commonly accepted definition in the J! community. By "giant," I meant ultra-streaker, which I should have specified. At some point, Alex has probably referred to some 5-9 game winners as giants, especially before 2014, when ultra-streaking was a lot rarer than it is now.

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:40 pm
by Rackme32
Leander wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm
  1. I see a lot of references to a poll, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone point me to it? Thanks!
  2. Does anyone know how to get the Philadelphia clue?: "Lower Merion Township is one of the main line suburbs of this city." I can't imagine how anyone could get that one unless they grew up in Philadelphia or something.
Weekly poll will be posted in about an hour.

“Main line” is probably the key. It’s often used to refer to a series of older Philly suburbs, which I assume lie on a railway line. Never seen it in regard to another city.
I've never heard "main line" referring to anything except railroads, but they have those in practically every city of any size.

However, being a big basketball fan, I should have gotten there anyhow because Kobe Bryant went to Lower Merion High School before going directly to the NBA Draft, skipping college altogether. Connection didn't happen for me, though.

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:45 pm
by ldfghjkl
floridagator wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:07 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 pm
  1. I see a lot of references to a poll, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can someone point me to it? Thanks!
  2. Does anyone know how to get the Philadelphia clue?: "Lower Merion Township is one of the main line suburbs of this city." I can't imagine how anyone could get that one unless they grew up in Philadelphia or something.
Knowing that the Main Line refers to suburbs of Philly along u.s. 30 and that Philly's downtown is called Center City are basic geography. It's on the same line as knowing that part of Los Angeles is called the San Fernando Valley or that San Mateo County south of San Francisco is called The Peninsula. Recognizing the names of Central City counties is also basic geography. There is a list of about 20 of them that you should have memorized. Recognizing the names of suburban counties is advanced geography.
It looks like whoever posted the clue on j-archive.com wasn't aware of this, because they didn't capitalize "Main Line".

Also, I'm not sure how one is supposed to learn this "basic geography". I know how to learn all the countries of the world and their capitals and highly-populated cities, and different bodies of water and rivers, etc. But I have no idea where one might have learned about the phrase "The Peninsula" or what "Central City counties" are (much less which of them make the list)—a little googling doesn't help at all. Do you know of a book or website that covers this? It seems like pretty advanced or at least obscure geography to me.

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:11 pm
by MarkBarrett
Main Line is now capitalized, thanks.

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:27 pm
by Ironhorse
Lower Merion = Kobe Bryant's high school = Philly

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:21 pm
by floridagator
ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:45 pm
Also, I'm not sure how one is supposed to learn this "basic geography". I know how to learn all the countries of the world and their capitals and highly-populated cities, and different bodies of water and rivers, etc. But I have no idea where one might have learned about the phrase "The Peninsula" or what "Central City counties" are (much less which of them make the list)—a little googling doesn't help at all. Do you know of a book or website that covers this? It seems like pretty advanced or at least obscure geography to me.
ldfghjkl, I'm glad you're here. I suspect you are on the young side. I don't know where I first encountered the term Main Line or Center City but I do know the first time I heard San Fernando Valley was on a game show. Pay attention and take notice of terms and descriptions that come up repeatedly. I know that when I read articles about people who grew up or went to school in the Philadelphia area, I can expect those two geographic terms to come up frequently. Same deal with a whole bunch of tidbits about geography and history and popular culture and literature. Absorb what is around you. Don't necessarily try to memorize a list or a reference book.

Having said that, I know we have discussed the counties that are key to know for Jeopardy on this board before. I don't want to recite the whole list and I don't even feel like looking for that old discussion right now, but here are some Pavlov counties that you should associate with central cities:

Maricopa - Phoenix
Harris - Houston
Cook - Chicago
Suffolk - Boston
Hennepin - Minneapolis
King - Seattle
Etc., about 20 of them

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:48 pm
by MarkBarrett
For one of the etc. counties I would have Clark County in Nevada (Vegas Strip) above the fold.

Re: Friday, October 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 pm
by davey
floridagator wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:21 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:45 pm
Also, I'm not sure how one is supposed to learn this "basic geography". I know how to learn all the countries of the world and their capitals and highly-populated cities, and different bodies of water and rivers, etc. But I have no idea where one might have learned about the phrase "The Peninsula" or what "Central City counties" are (much less which of them make the list)—a little googling doesn't help at all. Do you know of a book or website that covers this? It seems like pretty advanced or at least obscure geography to me.
ldfghjkl, I'm glad you're here. I suspect you are on the young side. I don't know where I first encountered the term Main Line or Center City but I do know the first time I heard San Fernando Valley was on a game show. Pay attention and take notice of terms and descriptions that come up repeatedly. I know that when I read articles about people who grew up or went to school in the Philadelphia area, I can expect those two geographic terms to come up frequently. Same deal with a whole bunch of tidbits about geography and history and popular culture and literature. Absorb what is around you. Don't necessarily try to memorize a list or a reference book.

Having said that, I know we have discussed the counties that are key to know for Jeopardy on this board before. I don't want to recite the whole list and I don't even feel like looking for that old discussion right now, but here are some Pavlov counties that you should associate with central cities:

Maricopa - Phoenix
Harris - Houston
Cook - Chicago
Suffolk - Boston
Hennepin - Minneapolis
King - Seattle
Etc., about 20 of them
I would never say there's any subject one shouldn't learn about for J!, but it's worth noting that, per the archive, Main Line has been in only a couple of clues and Center City in none over the years... It took me a while to realize that your use of Central City counties refers to the "famous" counties you listed above. That might have been worth mentioning.