Monday, October 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

Being a life-long resident of the Chicago area, I knew enough of the history of Gary to know not to guess that. I considered Wayne, but knew he was long dead by then. Indianapolis was right out, of course. After about 20 seconds the dates finally clicked and I remembered the famous tour of the famous correct response.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I put down Pulaski and stopped thinking. Oopsie!

“I’ll bet two thousand.”

Got Longfellow and John Deere

Corvids - toss-up between crows and ravens?

Ran Theater Co., to no one’s surprise
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had Lafayette off knowledge of the tour; if I'd had to resort to guessing an Indiana city, I never would have gotten it. I was hoping someone would guess Santa Claus.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:53 pm Someone who toured several states, including the Midwest... uh... Johnny Appleseed.

Some days I question why I even bother.
I like that wrong answer. More than my Wayne. (I knew enough to rule out Gary, but couldn't name another Indiana city that reasonably qualified. Herbert South Bend ain't exactly a hero either.)
morbeedo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:47 pm Corvids - toss-up between crows and ravens?
Nope. They spotted you 'American' and 'carrion' in the clue; there's no 'American raven' or 'Carrion raven'. Crows are more stereotypically smart. Also this: https://theconversation.com/never-cross ... -face-2121
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

jev15 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:25 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:27 pm Can anyone explain how to solve this FJ? It seems like starting with Indiana cities is the wrong way to go since it's the 10th most populous Indiana city. The year also looks like a red herring since Lafayette is probably most famous for participating in the American Revolution.

{I guessed "Crockett," just going by the year.)
Well, I caught two lucky breaks in that I have read Sarah Vowell's book about Lafayette's return trip to the States, and I have been to West Lafayette, IN to see my alma mater beat up on Purdue.
I haven't read that book, but I must have read a review, and maybe saw the Sunday Morning piece mentioned above, because I thought this was an obvious clue and I'm surprised so many struggled.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 2/4 on big clues. Said Raven instead of Crow. Wrote Gary for FJ. Thought of Johnny Appleseed first but that didn't work. I thought of Bloomington and tried to think of what city Purdue was in but couldn't pull it.

Missed Mary Poppins and said Snow White. Missed UCLA and said USC.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Tom Ford, legion, Delroy Lindo, The Interpreter, and portage.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

For FJ, I thought it was too late for Wayne, and was trying to think of an Anderson, Muncie, or Evans who could fit the clue. And this comes from someone who almost went to Purdue until my high school sent the wrong transcript and I didn’t get the scholarship I was supposed to.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Another Jackson here. First name that popped in my head, and I couldn't think of anything else, even though:
a. I have never heard of Jackson, Indiana
b. "hero"" didn't seem a good fit for Jackson
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:53 pm Someone who toured several states, including the Midwest... uh... Johnny Appleseed.

Some days I question why I even bother.
I had the same guess at first. I couldn't think of an "Appleseed" in Indiana, though, and my wife asked if he was a hero, and we agreed that he was only the folk type.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:39 pm Crows are more stereotypically smart.
Not according to Ace Ventura:

Also said Gary, was never going to land on Lafayette.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I instantly came up with Lafayette and then instantly predicted that one of the contestants would say Gary. I did not think it would be Jonathan. I knew that Gary was named for a honcho at us steel who did not qualify as a hero.

I said McCormick for the Deere clue.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Mayim brought up Jonathan’s conservative wagering on DD. While it may not make for the most exciting play, it worked today since he found both DD in DJ. But if the person in second catches DD-3 and doubles up, he could have been able to get within 50%.

All that said, Jonathan with another runaway as the season of non-competitive games continues. I am not complaining as I loved Matt’s domination but we could use some closer calls….
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

1824 was all I needed for the solve tonight.

It's still jarring to see someone not hunt for DD3 off DD2.

I join Jonathan in rooting for the rematch with Matt.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan