Tuesday, October 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He has studied Cordon Bleu cooking, but is known for his 1981 creation of a character with unconventional taste in cuisine

Jonathan Fisher: 11600+1600=13200 (7x = $156,100)
Katy Buckner: 4600-2998=1602
Olivia Cammisa-Frost: 900-0=900

Correct response:
Spoiler
Thomas Harris (Katy – Michael Chabon) (Olivia – Ian Fleming)

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 2200-2200
Olivia: 1000+1500
Olivia: 3700-2000

Coryats
Jonathan: 13800
Katy: 4600
Olivia: 2200

Combined: 20600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 5200
Katy: 3400
Olivia: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Double digits for wrongs and a ton and a half TS clues for an ugly 20600 combined Coryat. Jonathan was the best of the three and notched win 7 in not the prettiest fashion.

The FJ! category had me guess it could be Sparks or Green.

The FJ! clue had me just solve it quickly enough to write the last name before the music and I added the first name to leave no doubt I knew who it was.

That kind of clue can get a person to the right author in picking up the hint, but that person then has to also know/recall the name. The poll will ask knowing work(s) of the author and not having his name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A lot faster today: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7169

Only one media clue? I must have missed some as that seems impossible. The writers will load up on 'em tomorrow.

Five TS clues in the $2000 row. Almost enough for 4th podium right there.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Instaget FJ! ...
Spoiler
I never read the books Manhunter or The Silence of the Lambs but I read Hannibal and it struck me, at the time, as a work of sophistication and exquisite research. I think that shines through a bit in the film, despite the several large simplifications and changes made for the film sequel.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A week ago I was going to comment that last Tuesday's game was the first in the Archive without some sort of note on it, since March 4th. The Jonathan's game 5 happened, and that wasn't true any more.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 pm Instaget FJ! ...
Spoiler
I never read the books Manhunter or The Silence of the Lambs but I read Hannibal and it struck me, at the time, as a work of sophistication and exquisite research. I think that shines through a bit in the film, despite the several large simplifications and changes made for the film sequel.
I'd have to respectfully disagree.
Spoiler
Hannibal was a pretty good book, but was ruined by its ending. And Manhunter is only the movie title; the book was Red Dragon.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Yikes that was not pretty, Mama said there will be boards like that.

Olivia obviously didn't care about winning based on both her wagers on DD's in DJ. After answering DJ27 it was obvious Katy needed at least one of the last 3 clues to have a chance. But then she just stood there, not even fashioning a guess at 3 clues that were pretty basic for the $2k row. And then for some inexplicable reason, she let Olivia back into the game for 2nd place.

A very solid Captain Picard face palm day.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Took about 15 seconds, but I did come up with Harris.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Knew it was Hannibal Lechter, but I don't think I've ever encountered the author's name before in my life -- at least not in association with Hannibal. It is a highly generic name that'll never Hawley-Smoot its way into my brain.

Except for the fact that it's also my uncle's name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:55 pm Yikes that was not pretty, Mama said there will be boards like that.

Olivia obviously didn't care about winning based on both her wagers on DD's in DJ. After answering DJ27 it was obvious Katy needed at least one of the last 3 clues to have a chance. But then she just stood there, not even fashioning a guess at 3 clues that were pretty basic for the $2k row. And then for some inexplicable reason, she let Olivia back into the game for 2nd place.

A very solid Captain Picard face palm day.
Guessing “sand” in the F category didn’t help.

I knew the book but not the author.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Speaking of a not particularly stellar performance, I'm truly flummoxed at how three J!-quality players stand and stare when asked what company owns Chevrolet (Spoiler alert: it's G.M.). :shock:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I knew exactly what they were going for but didn't know the author. I thought Anthony Burgess, but realized I just had the name Anthony on the mind for obvious reasons.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:30 pm Took about 15 seconds, but I did come up with Harris.
Took me about 60. We'd seen two wrong responses before it finally clicked who we were talking about
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I figured out FJ! after about 5 seconds of thought.

The guesses were "Ian Fleming," "Michael Chabon," and "Thomas Harris." It seems like the contestants were told the first and last names were required. Here's my request to TPTB, in case they're reading: If players are supposed to write the full name, instead of instructing the contestants during the break, how about printing those instructions with the FJ! clue? The clue should end with something like, "(First and last name required.)"
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
davey

Post by davey »

I can think of at least one other Harris who fits the category, the Englishman Robert Harris who wrote Fatherland among other best-sellers. I only wrote the surname, but I could have added Thomas if instructed it was necessary.
I said the other day that Matt intimidated me at home. That's not been a problem since he left... :roll:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Never got anywhere...the author of 'How to Eat Fried Worms' was never coming (also 7 years too early) and I can't even remember who I wagged now, but I'm sure it was clever! :lol:

I did inadvertently spoil myself on Lowe's (but, not really cause I would've gotten it anyway); I used the first commercial break to find where I could drop off seven pounds of lead for recycling. Home Depot and Lowe's have boxes.
Spoiler
Replacement UPS battery arrived
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:07 pm Speaking of a not particularly stellar performance, I'm truly flummoxed at how three J!-quality players stand and stare when asked what company owns Chevrolet (Spoiler alert: it's G.M.). :shock:
Not that J! would neg you for it, but it's just GM (no periods).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had Thomas Harris right away, then worried myself by thinking that I'd named the author of The Exorcist instead. I was resigned to sticking with it because I couldn't think of another name, and then I found relief in remembering William Peter Blatty's name and knowing that my first thought wasn't in error.

I wouldn't have faulted Katy for venturing Fermi on the last clue. ("F" IN SCIENCE, $2,000: In the 1940s he developed an improved theory of quantum electrodynamics)