Wednesday, October 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY SUPREME COURT DECISIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first "self-evident" truth in the Declaration of Independence was quoted & found not to apply to this plaintiff

Jonathan Fisher: 27200+10500=37700 (8x = $193,800)
Jack Hodges: 2600+2600=5200
Anjolie Chidambaram: 18800-18000=800

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Dred) Scott (Anjolie – Madison)

Daily Doubles
Jonathan: 6600-1600
Jonathan: 13200+3200
Anjolie:

Coryats
Jonathan: 27200
Jack: 2600
Anjolie: 12000

Combined: 41,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 6400
Jack: 600
Anjolie: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Long credits alert.

Shortly before the game aired there was an ad for the Egg Pod and by coincidence I had just used it to hard boil four eggs shortly before J! came on.

Jack is lucky he was not on WB$M early seasons as Ben & Jimmy would have had fun with "polishing off the buzzers".

Jonathan found a different way to get his winning total higher thanks to Anjolie finding and converting DD3 to force Jonathan to bet five figures in the FJ! round.

The FJ! category has a set of standard precalls and the clue was in the predicted range with a twist on previous clues. The gentlemen got there while Anjolie went to another one of the usual names that could have been used.

Jonathan is still inconsistent on Coryats, so he may be back to the lower end of things tomorrow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7170

Jonathan got 7/10 in the TV & Movies categories.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I think if I'd have been watching in real time, I'd have gotten it, but I didn't really notice the category and went with Plessy.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 pm I think if I'd have been watching in real time, I'd have gotten it, but I didn't really notice the category and went with Plessy.
Plessy was a 19th c. decision though (1896). The way to distinguish was the self-evident truth that all men are created equal. Plessy at least facially said "separate BUT EQUAL" whereas the Supreme Court in Scott blatantly painted some people as inferior to others.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:12 pm All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7170

He is a big benificiary of the recent uptick in entertainment clues. Me, not so much.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D :mrgreen: on big clues. Reviewed the Big 3 cases of the 19th C, easy peasy.
Best get:. Cru. Still trying to figure out how I got that. :o
Worst miss:. Thoth. Responded Horus. :(
Trash pickup:. Lord of the Flies, Ohio, Caine, clipper DD, Montserrat, Superior for 6200.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:36 pm Plessy was a 19th c. decision though (1896).
That was the category ...

I don't normally pre-call, but with this category, there's really only 4 cases they might ask about: Marbury, McCulloch, Dred Scott, and Plessy -- and McCulloch is a longshot.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:48 pm Long credits alert.
I will do a transcript for the transcript thread, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were identical to the last long credits, with the exception of the EP credit.

EDIT: I take that back... it looks, at least, like Sarah got a promotion to producer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Started with Plessy but switched to the right guy about halfway through.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I had a little trouble with this FJ because I confused the "self-evident" truths and the "inalienable rights". I figured the case had to be Dred Scott, but I couldn't figure out how a right to "life" was applicable. Fortunately for me, I stuck with Dred Scott despite it not making sense to me.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Wilfred Owen poem just mentions "gas". I take it that in World War I, this referred specifically to "mustard gas"? Otherwise, Jonathan should've been docked for being too specific.

Note to future contestants who didn't already know this: Lord of the Flies is Jeopardy! 101. Read it on the plane. Know the major characters and events. I know this was in the bottom row, but under no circumstances should a clue including "lost on an island," "Simon," and "1954" have stumped ALL THREE contestants.

I was all set to run THE STATE OF THE TV SHOW and then I didn't know where black-ish was set. The first four were interchangeably easy and could have been given in any order. My pre-call of Northern Exposure didn't come off. Nor did my second pre-call of The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
Spoiler
Alaska and Minnesota respectively
DD1 looking for "this type of merchant ship" was a toughie. Mrs P and I both negged with steamship. That didn't sound like a "type of merchant ship" to us but we were stymied.

"The USS Doyle didn't have a mutiny during World War II, but it later played this movie ship that did". That was negbait for Bounty. A moment's thought will make you question whether a WWII ship is a good choice to play an 18th century sailing vessel, but someone's going to ring in before they've thought it through. Jack, in this case. I mentally rang in to say Bounty, but thought it through in time and was able to switch to Caine.

Louisville is on the Ohio River way upstream from where it joins the Mississippi. Maybe I can remember that.

Another Horus for Thoth here. Gotta work on my Egyptian mythology.

Anjolie. Oh dear. At least Jonathan got FJ right so your FJ wager only cost you $1000. I was proud of her for going big on DD3, but I worried that holding back $1200 was going to cost her. If Jonathan had rung in and gotten the final DJ clue, she would've needed that extra $1200 to stay within two-thirds. (Somehow neither he nor the others knew the "largest lake in the Western Hemisphere". That and the Lord of the Flies TS, among others, make it clear that Jonathan is eminently beatable.) But all this talk about two-thirds presupposes that Anjolie knew how to work that scenario. She... um... didn't. Oh well. Still have to give her kudos for a much gutsier bet than most contestants would've made on DD3.

The correct response for FJ came quickly to mind and I was happy with it.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:29 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:36 pm Plessy was a 19th c. decision though (1896).
That was the category ...

I don't normally pre-call, but with this category, there's really only 4 cases they might ask about: Marbury, McCulloch, Dred Scott, and Plessy -- and McCulloch is a longshot.
ms3cf was responding to this:
I didn't really notice the category and went with Plessy.
Yes, it looks to me like J! has never asked contestants to name McCulloch. Closest they came was giving McCulloch once and asking for Maryland.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:57 pm EDIT: I take that back... it looks, at least, like Sarah got a promotion to producer.
She gets more credits than anyone else: Clue Crew, Associate Director, Producer.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"Pro" and "neophyte" are not antonyms.
Foretopman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:25 pm I had a little trouble with this FJ because I confused the "self-evident" truths and the "inalienable rights". I figured the case had to be Dred Scott, but I couldn't figure out how a right to "life" was applicable.
This was me too, but knowing the FJ canon pretty well helped out much.

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:48 pm The FJ! category has a set of standard precalls and the clue was in the predicted range with a twist on previous clues. The gentlemen got there while Anjolie went to another one of the usual names that could have been used.
Yes, but "plaintiff" should have eliminated Madison. The plaintiff's name comes first.
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm
Louisville is on the Ohio River way upstream from where it joins the Mississippi. Maybe I can remember that.
It's pretty well known that Muhammad Ali was from Louisville. I always remember the story of how he threw his Olympic gold medal into the Ohio in protest against racism (later, he admitted that he had simply lost it).
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 4/4 on big clues. Tough game for me.

Missed mustard gas and said love, missed Erikson and said Erik the Red, missed Ohio and said Mississippi (saw Louisville and thought St. Louis), missed Thoth and said Horus, said malaria instead of dengue fever.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are The Caine, Medgar Evers, George Eastman, fra, and cru.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 pm Note to future contestants who didn't already know this: Lord of the Flies is Jeopardy! 101. Read it on the plane. Know the major characters and events. I know this was in the bottom row, but under no circumstances should a clue including "lost on an island," "Simon," and "1954" have stumped ALL THREE contestants.
I got distracted by 'precog' and Minority Report -did- come out in in the 50s. Knew it wasn't right (nowhere near 'book' length) but couldn't shake it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:12 pm All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7170

He is a big benificiary of the recent uptick in entertainment clues. Me, not so much.
I've been meaning to make this same observation, but wondered if it was true that there have (lately) been wheelhouse categories for thespians. It has seemed lately that being in showbiz is the ideal background to be competitive, since it parlays into Shakespeare knowledge, general celebrity familiarity, and of course theater and TV. No knock on Jonathan, he's getting some other obscure stuff right. I do want to see the fun when Science and Sports come up again. Maybe some NFL?

I got Dred Scott as a Pavlov. I didn't know this part about it, or what Mayim said about freedmen and slaves never being citizens. This disgusting stuff makes me want to just cancel all of the founding fathers. I fully expect that our generation(s) will be abhorred in 200 years for eating animals, and I don't blame them preemptively.

Jonathan ought to split his windfall surplus with Anjolie. He will endure until someone matches his buzzer mojo.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.