Thursday, October 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, October 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bkellysky »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:56 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:34 pm I think that Greenland is the only dependency that is larger then the country that owns it.
Pre-1962 independence, Algeria was more than 3 times the size of France. Trying to think of any other recent counterexamples.
Belgian Congo?
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:13 pm
But Pat Summitt should not have been a TS.
She is a giant in womens basketball, and I'm a pretty big sports fan. Yes, I know of her. Kay Yow. I had to look up, and I recalled her once I looked her up. If you've got a person that is not into sports, but is in heavy into trivia. IMO, Pat Summit is a maybe. The average person outside of Tennessee doesn't know of her. I think Pat Summit would be a pretty good Learned League sports question and I don't think it would hit 50% with the trivia buffs.

Steve Ferrill's Game Show Trivia book has no mention of Pat Summit or Geno Auriemma. Let alone Kay Yow or Annie Meyers
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 4/4 on big clues.

Missed Montana and said Idaho. Missed Anjou and said Bartlett.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, aspirin, blini, celluloid, and quoits.

Jonathan is putting together a nice streak. I thought Erin might have taken him down today but he managed to pull through again.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:04 pm

Dodgers needed a BMS.
The way the clue was worded, either Brooklyn... or L.A... would have been acceptable.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sherm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:23 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:13 pm
But Pat Summitt should not have been a TS.
She is a giant in womens basketball, and I'm a pretty big sports fan. Yes, I know of her. Kay Yow. I had to look up, and I recalled her once I looked her up. If you've got a person that is not into sports, but is in heavy into trivia. IMO, Pat Summit is a maybe. The average person outside of Tennessee doesn't know of her. I think Pat Summit would be a pretty good Learned League sports question and I don't think it would hit 50% with the trivia buffs.

Steve Ferrill's Game Show Trivia book has no mention of Pat Summit or Geno Auriemma. Let alone Kay Yow or Annie Meyers
I second this. Pat Summitt is TOC material, but maybe fourth row. I could only get as far as "Pat", and couldn't retrieve the last name. She is the only women's basketball coach I've ever heard of. She was in a couple of news cycles with her sudden retirement and death only four years later.

It looks like FJ wagers were cromulent. Can't say the same about DD's, but the best player won.

FJ was an instaget. I have to credit POTUS45 (who shall not be named) for knowing that Denmark owned Greenland. Stupidity can still give teachable moments. I hope the US got their earnest money back on the "offer" to buy Greenland.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Instaget FJ.
Knew Pat Summit though sports is not an area of strength for me.
Ran the Classic Songs category - sad that Meat Loaf and The Rolling Stones were triple stumpers
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I don’t think Mayim has actually ever heard that Meat Loaf song.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old(er) age, but I take exception with the "SPOKEN WORDS IN CLASSIC SONGS" category in DJ. It's not uncommon for the host to offer a parenthetical remark that clarifies the category; in this case Mayim specifically indicated that they were expecting artist names. From the category title, I would expect lyrics or song name responses, or artist if an individual clue asked for it. But I am of the opinion that a category should stand on its own, as if disassociated from the show or reading it on paper. I think this tripped up Erin on the $800 clue.

Now get off my lawn, dammit!

Also, is anyone else having trouble viewing the media clues for "WORD PUZZLES" in SJ? I am getting Resource not Found errors.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Sports Books $800. Not familiar with that Rolling Stones song.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Big clues:. :D :D :D :mrgreen:
Trash:. Do Ray me, CSN, chemo, Weird Al, Meat Loaf,
Best get:. The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

cheezguyty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:19 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:34 pm I think that Greenland is the only dependency that is larger then the country that owns it.
The UK, Chile, Norway, and New Zealand all have Antarctic territories larger than the countries themselves.
This would have been good to read before submitting my responses for the LearnedLeague OneDay about the Law of International Common Spaces. I missed with USA.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:03 am I don’t think Mayim has actually ever heard that Meat Loaf song.
Yeah, I did a double take when she said “that was my Meat Loaf impersonation” about Rizzuto’s lines.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:57 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:19 pm
The UK, Chile, Norway, and New Zealand all have Antarctic territories larger than the countries themselves.
This would have been good to read before submitting my responses for the LearnedLeague OneDay about the Law of International Common Spaces. I missed with USA.
JoshuaKreitzer
Valued Contributor

Post by JoshuaKreitzer »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:56 pm
Pre-1962 independence, Algeria was more than 3 times the size of France. Trying to think of any other recent counterexamples.
Dependencies larger than their parent countries appear to have been fairly common in the era of colonialism (Portugal and the Netherlands each had other examples).

The most recent example I can find other than Greenland is that for a few months in 1979 and 1980, the unrecognized but de facto independent country of Rhodesia reverted to being a colony of the UK, before transitioning to independence as Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe is more than 50% larger than the UK.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Holly wrote a good piece about her J! experience: https://www.morningbrew.com/daily/stori ... e-pandemic
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:25 pm Holly wrote a good piece about her J! experience...
Thanks much for the link. I just read her article, and I think your description as "a good piece" qualifies as an understatement.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.