Friday, October 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by thenextofken »

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of Lady Marmalade. With me it was just because I remembered them singing part of the lyrics in French. Roxanne never occurred to me, and I've seen 48 hours about 4 times, albeit almost 40 years ago.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote: Even if I had thought of "Roxanne", I may have dismissed it as I thought it was from the 80's.
Same here. I don't associate that song with the 70s at all. Regardless, it wasn't even on my radar. Since the clue was mostly concerning the back story, I call it a YEKIOYD.

I also guessed Lady Marmalade but felt I was grasping at straws. Jonathan's guess wasn't all that bad, for someone of his generation. It only missed the 1970s by five months.
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sorry to see Lea go down the way it went down. Today you had to know something about the play Hamilton. Advantage Jonathan if he gets the DD, and it worked out just fine for him anyway. I have no idea which historical characters are in the play.

I tried to remember the Steve Martin movie but can't say I know Roxanne is a song. This boomer dropped out of Top 40, or pop, or whatever, when disco came along. I listened to the local geriatric Big Band station and am quite fond of the genre except for the love songs/ballads.

I fell for the Huygen's Pavlov for Saturn's rings, and got completely waylaid on the Venus clue thanks to the "Phosporous" atmosphere. It is a fine clue, if you read it all. I assumed "transit", but don't know if I'd put $2K on it matching the event that occurs with our own Sun and Venus and Mercury.

It's going to take a couple of science categories and a set of boards with less than 12 Hollywood biased clues to uproot Jonathan.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 pm I fell for the Huygen's Pavlov for Saturn's rings
The clue did mention "division", though, so I'd say that's Pavlov for Cassini.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

twelvefootboy wrote:This boomer dropped out of Top 40, or pop, or whatever, when disco came along.
This alerts me to a good reason to call this a crap clue. The category was quite a stretch from being appropriate.
The song in question barely cracked the Top-40 when it was released as a single in the U.S. It got all of it's attention on album oriented FM stations, mostly later than mid-1979.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:05 am
twelvefootboy wrote:This boomer dropped out of Top 40, or pop, or whatever, when disco came along.
This alerts me to a good reason to call this a crap clue. The category was quite a stretch from being appropriate.
The song in question barely cracked the Top-40 when it was released as a single in the U.S. It got all of it's attention on album oriented FM stations, mostly later than mid-1979.
Why shouldn't the category call it a 1970s top 40 hit if it indeed cracked the top 40 in the 1970s? (It peaked at #32 in April 1979, and in fact was in the top 40 for all of April and into the beginning of May.)
yclept

Post by yclept »

Lea was a serious challenger who bet appropriately on DD2 but caught a clue about something that wasn’t in her wheelhouse. That is where the luck of Jeopardy comes in. She caught fire again as DJ went on before missing what I think was a $1,600 clue. Damn. I found myself rooting for her. Heck, it would have been fun if she got on a bit of a roll so that Mayim (or Ken) could break out the “So, your trip to Munich is on hold?” question.

I can only imagine how much it hurts to know that a win was in your reach if you could have stayed within range.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 pm It's going to take a couple of science categories and a set of boards with less than 12 Hollywood biased clues to uproot Jonathan.
I've seen enough of this season to tell me that isn't happening. Thanks goodness MR is gone, or before long, you'd see boards like:

NETFLIX SPECIALS
ACTORS IN HISTORICAL DRAMAS
HULU SERIES
COMEDIANS
CELEBRITY MARRIAGES
TONY AWARD-WINNING DIRECTORS
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yet another Lady Marmalade here. And I say that as someone who saw The Police on their first American tour.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The FJ category was much better suited for me than if it was “Top 40 Hits of the 2000s”. I think I have heard the story before and it was an instaget.

I have never seen Hamilton and know very little about it. But George III seemed a logical guess for a character who would have a British accent.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:41 am I have never seen Hamilton and know very little about it. But George III seemed a logical guess for a character who would have a British accent.
It is funny that he'd develop an accent when at the time of the Revolution, the American and British accents were largely the same (rhotic).
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Cyrano de Bergerac + music = a basic Pavlov for Roxanne.

The rest of the clue is just filler trying to drag you away from the right answer. Nothing wrong with not knowing or unable to pull it, but it’s a simple clue.
brick

Post by brick »

I'm wondering what the graph is on getting that FJ and gender, and college major. Instaget for me.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:45 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:34 pm Another Lady Marmalade ce soir.
Moi aussi (except with quotes, not italics, because that's what song titles should have :)).
I just looked up some info about the song, and Patti LaBelle says she didn't know what it all meant, and nobody bothered to tell her.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

brick wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:21 pm I'm wondering what the graph is on getting that FJ and gender, and college major.
Huh? :? :? :? :?:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:30 pm
econgator wrote: Even if I had thought of "Roxanne", I may have dismissed it as I thought it was from the 80's.
Same here. I don't associate that song with the 70s at all. Regardless, it wasn't even on my radar. Since the clue was mostly concerning the back story, I call it a YEKIOYD.
I dare say 70+% of boardies had the right bits of knowledge in their heads to get to the correct response. That's YEMTRCOYD.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:25 pm
Category 13 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:30 pm
I dare say 70+% of boardies had the right bits of knowledge in their heads to get to the correct response. That's YEMTRCOYD.
I fail to see what Marrying the Right Character has to do with solving a FJ! clue.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:12 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:41 am I have never seen Hamilton and know very little about it. But George III seemed a logical guess for a character who would have a British accent.
It is funny that he'd develop an accent when at the time of the Revolution, the American and British accents were largely the same (rhotic).
"Posh" is the key to the accent. It's part of the theatricality of the show, not meant to be literal, any more than the casting.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:12 am
I'm pretty sure they weren't rapping back then.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I would have thought '70's music would be a wheelhouse category for me, but I'm another who whiffed with Lady Marmalade. Even if the Cyrano mention had led me to the song Roxanne, I'm not sure I would have switched to it--doesn't feel '70's to me.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the (arguably best) Community episode, the one with the different timelines, in which the song Roxanne plays a role (Britta starts to sing along, but Jeff stops her in all of the timelines except the prime timeline in which he has gone down to get the pizza).

I think division in Saturn's rings is Pavlov for Cassini. And it's hard for me to believe that anyone who passed the J! test and audition could miss the Hamilton clue.