Friday, October 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s TOP 40 HITS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seeing a poster for a production of "Cyrano de Bergerac" in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit

Jonathan Fisher: 19600-5400=14200 (10x = $230,100)
Lea Zaric: 4800+0=4800
Rudy Fernández-Dieppa: 3800+3800=7600

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Roxanne” (Jonathan – Honky Tonk Women)

Daily Doubles
Rudy: 2600+1000
Lea: 7600-5000
Lea: 3800+1800

Coryats
Jonathan: 19600
Lea: 9600
Rudy: 3800

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jonathan: 4800
Lea: 6000
Rudy: 4200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Did Jonathan have to bust open a new shirt? That sure looked like a fresh out of the package crease across the middle.

Lea was in great shape at DD2, only trailing by 400. She went big with 5 large and missed one every person she knows will have got correct or at least claim to. A get there and she wins the game. She won't "be back".

At DD3 Lea left $2000 on the table and even all-in on that one would not have saved the game for her on a once bitten, twice shy. Third if you count the FJ! round where Rudy bet himself from 3rd to 2nd place money.

Jonathan may not be the smoothest champ over 60 (or 61) clues, but he gets it done enough over all the clues to sweep two weeks worth of games. Jinx, not jinx... No champ has ever lost game 11.

The FJ! clue had my thinking off base as I turned it into kind of a movie clue. Taking "nearby" I connected Moulin Rouge to "Lady Marmalade". I was grateful to see a poster on TJ!F had the same error.

The movie I needed to go to was 48 Hrs..
Spoiler
There is something about the Cyrano work where I don't do well in the FJ! round as I also missed connecting basic dots on this one.
Spoiler

#8304, aired 2020-12-17 PLAY CHARACTERS: This title character says, "Who find my visage's center ornament a thing to jest at--it is my wont... to let him taste my steel"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another week complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7172

My head has a jumbled earworm between the song associated with DD2 and the correct response for the FJ! clue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Popping Out Pop Culture and Actors and Accents $1200.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:53 pm Another week complete
And another week with no sign of the Clue Crew. Can we presume that at this point it exists in name only?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:53 pm Another week complete
And another week with no sign of the Clue Crew. Can we presume that at this point it exists in name only?
9/28 is less than a month ago and Sarah & Jimmy could have who knows how many still unused? With their staff promotions it may mean they are done as Clue Crew for new travels and clues.

The powers could always find 2-4 newbies to take on the role. It could also just be celebrity readers. How about champs in various cities? Bob Harris in Australia could not get to CA to guest host last year, but I would love to see him read a category from Down Under. There are plenty of great spots there.

Some wanted James Holzhauer to guest host. Let him do some from Vegas. Assuming the GOAT did retire him as a player. Otherwise, no.

For archiving, there are always the local news crews clues, so it's not like "Clue Crew" clues will entirely disappear even if the OGs have moved on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thought of one more idea - I'll mark 9/28 as "Last game with Clue Crew clues."
That would guarantee more of them to come. :lol:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Big clues:. :D :( :D :mrgreen: OK, I probably shoulda got George III, but I wasn't getting the setup clues anyway.
My mom would haunt me if I missed Roxanne. Huge Sting fan. ;)
Runs:. Geography Names. Meta"for", Games :geek: , Planetary Science :ugeek:
Trash:. serenade, transit, Cassini, Rubik, Venus
Best get:. Remembered Carnival of the Animals from last time Saint-Saens came up. 8-)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Another Lady Marmalade ce soir.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:09 pm The week is really turning around for you. Here's hoping for a strong finish tomorrow.
Damn it, you jinxed me.

The dots just weren't connecting at all. Even just brainstorming random '70s hits with female names in the title got me nowhere. I know I've heard "Roxanne" a few times, at least enough to put "You don't have to put on the red light" after the title. But the Cyrano de Bergerac reference threw me miles off course and left me with a blank screen.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:44 pm
The movie I needed to go to was 48 Hrs..
Weirdly, after getting lost trying to think of Rolling Stones songs, my mind went to Cyrano movies, and Steve Martin and……Roxanne.

While technically a prelude, I guess, the Bach cello piece is usually thought of as the first movement of his first cello suite.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

squarekara wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:34 pm Another Lady Marmalade ce soir.
Moi aussi (except with quotes, not italics, because that's what song titles should have :)).

Even if I had thought of "Roxanne", I may have dismissed it as I thought it was from the 80's.
Golf

Post by Golf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:58 pm 57 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Popping Out Pop Culture
So defeat does exist in your dojo. :lol:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:44 pm Lea was in great shape at DD2, only trailing by 400. She went big with 5 large and missed one every person she knows will have got correct or at least claim to.
Gosh, this is so true. I feel bad thinking about all the times this will probably happen to her.

My train of thought on FJ was quite amusing. I zoned in on "women of the evening" and tried to think of a song that had the word "hooker" or "prostitute" in it. That rightfully got me nowhere, and I jumped to analyzing Cyrano de Bergerac halfway through the music, and wrote down the correct response quickly after.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I really thought that Lea had a shot up to DD2. I applauded her $5k wager there but boy did it backfire. She made a valiant effort to recover but lost me when she get small on DD3. FJ had me thinking but I bit on the Lady Marmalade negbait. Another win for Jonathan on his impressive run.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

All I had was "Cracklin' Rosie" until the last few seconds. I doubt I could have written "Roxanne" down quickly enough, but I haven't written FJ responses in 11 years so I'm counting a get.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 2/4 on big clues. Couldn't think of George III and guessed Cornwallis just to have something. Missed Roxanne and guessed Lady Marmalade.

Missed National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and said Family Vacation. Missed Cassini and said Galileo.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Resident Alien, Jacqueline du Pre, Serenade, Kurt Vonnegut, and transit.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:30 pm How about champs in various cities? Bob Harris in Australia could not get to CA to guest host last year, but I would love to see him read a category from Down Under. There are plenty of great spots there.

Some wanted James Holzhauer to guest host. Let him do some from Vegas.
I like this idea.

Here is a version of Roxanne where it speeds up every time he sings "Roxanne":

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:42 pm Here is a version of Roxanne where it speeds up every time he sings "Roxanne":
<David Seville>GOOOOOORDOOOOOON!!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)