FJs for the 10/18/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/18/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:49 pm

From 1824 to 1825 this hero toured all 24 states & an Indiana city was named for him
35%
He has studied Cordon Bleu cooking, but is known for his 1981 creation of a character with unconventional taste in cuisine
41%
The first "self-evident" truth in the Declaration of Independence was quoted & found not to apply to this plaintiff
88%
This country of 16,600 square miles has a possession that's more than 50 times as large
93%
Seeing a poster for a production of "Cyrano de Bergerac" in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit
47%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
"F" IN SCIENCE $2000: In the 1940s he developed an improved theory of quantum electrodynamics
25%
BOATS & SHIPS $1000: The 107-year-old steamboat Belle of Louisville offers lunch & dinner cruises as it paddles up & down this river
55%
YOU SAY YOU WANT A REVOLUTION $2000: Early in the Arab Spring, this country's Jasmine Revolution was named for the country's national flower
40%
Gary was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
16%
Wayne was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
19%
Jackson was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
7%
Johnny Appleseed was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
6%
I have set foot in Lafayette, Indiana and/or West Lafayette, Indiana.
22%
"F" IN SCIENCE $2000: In the 1940s he developed an improved theory of quantum electrodynamics - I negged with Fermi.
34%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I knew it was the writer who created Hannibal Lecter, but I did not know/recall the author's name.
23%
I have read at least one book written by Thomas Harris.
18%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I negged with Marbury or Madison or Plessy or Ferguson.
6%
I have set foot in Denmark.
10%
"Lady Marmalade" was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
24%
I have seen The Police perform in person.
6%

Total votes: 88

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/18/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAMES ON THE MAP

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From 1824 to 1825 this hero toured all 24 states & an Indiana city was named for him

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He has studied Cordon Bleu cooking, but is known for his 1981 creation of a character with unconventional taste in cuisine

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY SUPREME COURT DECISIONS

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first "self-evident" truth in the Declaration of Independence was quoted & found not to apply to this plaintiff

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

10/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country of 16,600 square miles has a possession that's more than 50 times as large

10/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s TOP 40 HITS

10/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Seeing a poster for a production of "Cyrano de Bergerac" in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
(the Marquis de) Lafayette
Thomas Harris
(Dred) Scott
Denmark
"Roxanne"
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 1-1-2-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have three triple stumpers that Jonathan & his opponents did not get right.

"F" IN SCIENCE $2000: In the 1940s he developed an improved theory of quantum electrodynamics

BOATS & SHIPS $1000: The 107-year-old steamboat Belle of Louisville offers lunch & dinner cruises as it paddles up & down this river

YOU SAY YOU WANT A REVOLUTION $2000: Early in the Arab Spring, this country's Jasmine Revolution was named for the country's national flower

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Richard Feynman
the Ohio
Tunisia
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/18/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

W.H. Harrison for Indiana
“Lady Marmalade”

Negged with Fermi & the Mississippi River
Too slow to pull the trigger on Tunisia

Never read Harris.
Never been to IN or Denmark.
The closest I’ve been to Greenland is the Risk board.
Never seen The Police. As for the police? More than once thanks to fireworks misbehavior.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Lafayette was a WECIB with regard to a hero touring the US in the 1820s, since I wasn't familiar with the city of that name. (I went to Indiana last year, but spent most of my time in the southwest.) Thomas Harris is a memorized association I've had for several years now, although I've never read his books. I pulled "Roxanne" just in time.

I ruled out Fermi because he feels more "nuclear" than "quantum" to me, and sort of stumbled into Feynman.

European countries visited: Italy, Germany, Austria, France, UK.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Wayne, "Lady Marmalade" (uneasy because of "Creole" but had nothing else)

Never been to Indiana.
Read Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs. Also seen the three Hopkins movies, Manhunter, and the first episode of Hannibal.
Been to Denmark.
Never seen the Police. The one time I tried listening to "Roxanne" I turned it off after about twenty seconds.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( (Jackson) :( (nuthin') :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( (Fermi) :D :|
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - (Fort) Wayne
Tue - (not the right response, whatever it was)

Have read Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs
*Edit: and Black Sunday. Forgot that was his.
Last edited by Volante on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

"Lady Marmalade"
I have been to West Lafayette, but never Denmark/Greenland.

Have read Red Dragon and Silence.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Wayne and Lady Marmalade.

Thought it was Tunisia but clammed due to a lack of full confidence.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Another Lady Marmalade here. Other than the ruin of my FJ week, I'm not so unhappy with the guess. It doesn't account for the Cyrano reference, but the song is surely more representative of the 70s than the correct response...
I clammed on the F because Fermi didn't sound right...I should certainly have gotten the Louisville clue... :roll:
I read Thomas Harris's Black Sunday as well as a couple of the Hannibal books. What a misspent youth!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Guessed Johnny Appleseed on Monday. Knew Tuesday was referring to Hannibal Lecter but had no clue as to the author. Blank screen Friday even though I know the song.

I know that Louisville is on the Indiana border. I know that the Ohio River forms the Kentucky/Indiana border. But I somehow thought there was also a second river somewhere in that area and fruitlessly racked my brains trying to remember what it was.

I went to Lafayette, Indiana once when I was 6. It was the third leg of a massive family trip that also took us to Escanaba, Michigan and Beloit, Wisconsin. Somewhere I still have a Lafayette phone book that I acquired on this trip.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not only have I set foot in Lafayette, IN, I have lived here for the last 31 years. Instaget of Instagets.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

----:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ----

I thought of Fermi, but wasn't very happy with it. It's possible I'd have succumbed to temptation if no one else rang and "time's up" was not called promptly.

I haven't read any of Thomas Harris, but much browsing of the used book racks has engrammed his name.

Irrelevantly, I was reminded of both "Roxanne Roxanne" and "Roxanne's Revenge" within the past couple of days. I did also consider Lady Marmalade (I remembered a question from KJ"s Tuesday Trivia VIII-- "What famous disco refrain of 1974 is drawn, word for word, from scene six of A Streetcar Named Desire, where Blanche DuBois uses it as a come-on to Mitch?"). I do feel blessed to be of the right age where knowing the #32 hits can pay off big.

I've been to Iceland and I've been on Lafayette Street. I knew of the Marquis's triumphal visit around that time.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brain freeze on Supreme Court cases. Could only think of Marbury v. Madison, which I knew was wrong.
Clammed on the "F" question. Would have said Fermi if pushed.

A "No" to visiting Lafayette or Denmark, reading Thomas Harris or seeing the Police.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I think 'saw' The Police is more accurate than 'have seen'. Terrible week. Too many MCWAs.

Favorite Police story:
Wrestler and entertainer-turned-politician Jesse Ventura once worked as a bodyguard to the Rolling Stones and witnessed one of Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards' most embarrassing druggie moments. "Keith and Woody were in the dressing room and their manager burst in and said, 'The police are here.' Keith said, 'Wood and I are flushing everything down the toilet,' and 30 seconds later in walks Stewart Copeland and Sting!'"

Shawn Colvin once told a story during one of her shows that she was the opening act for Sting. She was backstage tuning her guitar before the show when Sting walked by and asked her what she was doing. She explained that she was tuning her guitar. Sting said (in his very patrician English accent), "You know that they have people that do that for you?"
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Tangential anecdote about Lafayette, IN: We once stayed overnight in a Lafayette motel (or it could've been West Lafayette) before the last leg of a summer road trip back to Chicago. We had our toddler with us, and I was expecting our second child. During the night, IN native Cole Porter came to me, crying, in a particularly vivid dream. I couldn't tell what he was so upset about, but the next morning, it hit me that his hometown of Peru, IN was nearby. (I had not had any conscious thoughts about Porter during our trip.) We side-tripped to Peru, where we visited a local museum that contained some of his artifacts, sought out his burial site in the family plot, and found his birthplace and childhood home. The once-grand house had fallen into disrepair and had been subdivided into cheap apartments. The building seemed abandoned, with big orange police hazmat stickers slapped on the doors, warning against entry. We peered through the windows, and the place was in a sorry state, being used as a crack house or a meth lab or something. I guess that's the kind of adventure subconscious trivia knowledge can buy you!
Good news: Last I heard, the building had been rehabbed into a posh B&B.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

squarekara wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:33 am Tangential anecdote about Lafayette, IN: We once stayed overnight in a Lafayette motel (or it could've been West Lafayette) before the last leg of a summer road trip back to Chicago. We had our toddler with us, and I was expecting our second child. During the night, IN native Cole Porter came to me, crying, in a particularly vivid dream. I couldn't tell what he was so upset about, but the next morning, it hit me that his hometown of Peru, IN was nearby. (I had not had any conscious thoughts about Porter during our trip.) We side-tripped to Peru, where we visited a local museum that contained some of his artifacts, sought out his burial site in the family plot, and found his birthplace and childhood home. The once-grand house had fallen into disrepair and had been subdivided into cheap apartments. The building seemed abandoned, with big orange police hazmat stickers slapped on the doors, warning against entry. We peered through the windows, and the place was in a sorry state, being used as a crack house or a meth lab or something. I guess that's the kind of adventure subconscious trivia knowledge can buy you!
Good news: Last I heard, the building had been rehabbed into a posh B&B.
Cool story! I hope that you took note of how residents of Peru pronounce the name of their town: “PAY-roo”. It’s also about 10 mi from Mexico, IN :mrgreen:
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Woof wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:48 am
squarekara wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:33 am Tangential anecdote about Lafayette, IN: We once stayed overnight in a Lafayette motel (or it could've been West Lafayette) before the last leg of a summer road trip back to Chicago. We had our toddler with us, and I was expecting our second child. During the night, IN native Cole Porter came to me, crying, in a particularly vivid dream.
Cool story! I hope that you took note of how residents of Peru pronounce the name of their town: “PAY-roo”. It’s also about 10 mi from Mexico, IN :mrgreen:
The museum had some interesting exhibits about Peru's ties to American Circus culture, too.
A couple years later we visited Bloomington, IN for a wedding, but native son Hoagy Carmichael's spirit could not be bothered to visit me that time. Hmph!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Wayne on Monday; if the clue had mentioned North Carolina or Louisiana as additional states would have gotten it. But it would have required rephrasing as those cities weren't named in conjunction with his tour. Knew Tuesday's clue referenced Hannibal Lecter but didn't recall the author.

Fermi for the physicist miss.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.