LL Season 91

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL Season 91

Post by morbeedo »

Italy ML was a roller coaster but mostly down. Last three match days I scored 9(6), 9(5) and 0(0). Pleased to get Lampedusa and Cabrini from recent study. Pretty good ML overall!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I fad a failure to RTFQ on sunspots and guessed moons of Jupiter. Luckily I still won.

I am in group 259 for Worldwide History and am wishing everyone the best of luck in that one, too!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

StevenH wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:41 am I fad a failure to RTFQ on sunspots and guessed moons of Jupiter. Luckily I still won.
Same!
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I must be in a group full of "A" rundlers; there were three 9(6)s...and one 9(5) on MD3 in my Astronomy ML group. I've answered 12 questions correctly in three days and am 0-3.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Magellan coming up in both the History and Astronomy ML on the same MD. Who got ‘em both?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:33 am Magellan coming up in both the History and Astronomy ML on the same MD. Who got ‘em both?
I would have if I was playing. I don’t play the mini leagues as I don’t want to make the commitment while the 1ds are on as well. But I do read the questions.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:13 am I must be in a group full of "A" rundlers; there were three 9(6)s...and one 9(5) on MD3 in my Astronomy ML group. I've answered 12 questions correctly in three days and am 0-3.
I am sad that I missed out on the Astronomy ML. I don't think I got an invite/notification for it like I did for the World History one. I definitely would have picked it. I'll be more diligent about the schedule. So far, I am 4/5/3 (possibly a couple more if I took time) on the Astronomy, and the questions are quite fun.

Not doing so good in History, but blew some easy ones. I thought of stirrups, but saw the saddle in the clue and detoured to a blank answer. Never a good move.

My PSA for the day - here are the remaining ML's:
Advice, Apr 12
Asian American History and Culture, Apr 14
English Vocabulary, Apr 26
Mythology in Popular Culture, Apr 28
No blurbs seem to be available at this time.

It seems like the 1-days have been more specific than ever. Now that I've learned to read the schedule, I see a couple ahead I might be able to play.

I'm looking forward to Feb 1, The Language of Golf, smithed by CallawayB. If you get the irony of this, then you should play :lol:. I'm sure there will be some gimmes as well. :)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

From the Wednesday 2/2 daily thread (I couldn't find the reretaken down one):
triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:27 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:57 pm
Another Jeopardy!/Tug of Words crossover today. The Mazda Miata.
And Tuesday in another ecosystem we had it (Llama 1DS spoiler, closed now)
Spoiler
the lead clue in the Just Images Cars up Close 1DS
That’s my 1DS
[/quote]

Can you prove that by answering this question:
Its MX-5 Miata was named 2016 World Car of the Year

Nice job on the 1DS. I'm not a car guy, but managed to money 5 right if I RTFQ - I just said "Corvair" without the Chevy part. I learned stuff and enjoyed the quiz. I was close with Plymouth Judge I think, but NHO the other car.

Story: I had a track buddy with a 2002? Miata so I was familiar with the name and it being a two seater convertible. When we married, me and twelvefootgirl moved to a McMansion on a cul-de-sac in 2001. We were the Beverly Hillbillies with the Drysdales across from us. Mrs. Drysdale caught me outside on Christmas morning and showed me her big surprise gift for Milburn. It was a shiny black convertible so I was fake excited and said something about his new Miata. She icily corrected me "It's a Porsche Boxster". I actually still don't know what that means, lol, but I think it's about $50K 8-) . So, yeah, still not a car guy..

My pride and joy in the cul-de-sac was a 1970 Opel Kadette Station Wagon with the top cut off so it was permanently converted. Not quite JD Clampett's truck, but the car got me through college so when it achieved 200K miles superbeater status I used it for inhumane experiments, like a full gold metalflake lacquer paint job and decapitation . :(. I finally gave it to an Opel collector for parts and it caught fire and burned up on him because he left it running on his trailer and a fuel line had been pulled loose in the hauling.

How did you guys do in your hen/rooster lottery a couple years ago? You been having chicken and dumplings with those damn roos?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I still managed 54th place on the cars 1DS, but would have been 9th with proper moneying (I missed two questions that I moneyed). I was surprised since I only got seven right.

I'm waiting to see the recap so I can understand what the hints were supposed to be for Q4. I saw "Bond" and "Steele" and figured it was supposed to point us to Pierce Brosnan, so I answered "Pierce Arrow."

I also thought for sure the car in Q11 was a Fisker, not a Tesla. I'd forgotten that Tesla's first car was a sports car.

Lucky guess for me on Q1. I figured that's a popular "car club" sort of car and the official model name vs. common name pointed to the Miata.

Pretty sure the caveat in Q10: "Careful when you give the make and model of this car only made in the 1970 model year as it might not be what you expect." was supposed to tell us the answer was NOT the Plymouth Road Runner, but I forgot there was a Superbird.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Kicking myself for costing myself 38 percentile points on the HBCU one by not moneying "Division II", which only 6% got right.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:54 pm I still managed 54th place on the cars 1DS, but would have been 9th with proper moneying (I missed two questions that I moneyed). I was surprised since I only got seven right.

I'm waiting to see the recap so I can understand what the hints were supposed to be for Q4. I saw "Bond" and "Steele" and figured it was supposed to point us to Pierce Brosnan, so I answered "Pierce Arrow."

I also thought for sure the car in Q11 was a Fisker, not a Tesla. I'd forgotten that Tesla's first car was a sports car.

Lucky guess for me on Q1. I figured that's a popular "car club" sort of car and the official model name vs. common name pointed to the Miata.

Pretty sure the caveat in Q10: "Careful when you give the make and model of this car only made in the 1970 model year as it might not be what you expect." was supposed to tell us the answer was NOT the Plymouth Road Runner, but I forgot there was a Superbird.
Recap is up, just wait until you see the word MIATA was in the question :D
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:40 pm
I was close with Plymouth Judge I think, but NHO the other car.

Story: I had a track buddy with a 2002? Miata so I was familiar with the name and it being a two seater convertible. When we married, me and twelvefootgirl moved to a McMansion on a cul-de-sac in 2001. We were the Beverly Hillbillies with the Drysdales across from us. Mrs. Drysdale caught me outside on Christmas morning and showed me her big surprise gift for Milburn. It was a shiny black convertible so I was fake excited and said something about his new Miata. She icily corrected me "It's a Porsche Boxster". I actually still don't know what that means, lol, but I think it's about $50K 8-) . So, yeah, still not a car guy..

How did you guys do in your hen/rooster lottery a couple years ago? You been having chicken and dumplings with those damn roos?
Pontiac GTO "The Judge"

Boxter is from the motor design (Boxer) and the type of car (roadster)

All four are hens, we have too many eggs. I'm more worried about how we're going to move the goats in 5 years, really not happy she did that, but love them!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:52 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:54 pm I still managed 54th place on the cars 1DS, but would have been 9th with proper moneying (I missed two questions that I moneyed). I was surprised since I only got seven right.

Thanks, Wayne!

FYI: you put the recap in the Mini Leagues subforum, rather than the One Days subforum. Might want to move it before anyone comments.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:04 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:52 pm

Thanks, Wayne!

FYI: you put the recap in the Mini Leagues subforum, rather than the One Days subforum. Might want to move it before anyone comments.
crap...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I repeat my outsider viewpoint that Wayne's 1DS was a lot of fun. I'm still catching up with the Easter Eggs, as when I typed the name Wayne at the beginning of this post (Wayne's World Pacer car pun). I missed the Roadrunner/ beep beep goodie, and didn't pick up on the movie and TV TOMS which were well layed (chicken pun intended).

I offered the following dreck on the LL message board, and while not on topic, this isn't a daily thread so we don't have to follow any rules ;) .

This non-car guy enjoyed this very much. Perfect pitch with the clue writing - I think the pictures alone would have been a train wreck akin to clue #12 :). I loved the El Dorado clue, but am so dumb I don't recognize a Caddy grille. I knew enough from the clues to make semi-wild guesses.

When I was sporting my 1970 Opel Station Wagon, I was carpooling with a buddy who traded from a Ford Pinto to the AMC Pacer. He also went through a VW Thing and an Opel Manta, so he had a flare for the absurd. I worked on cars out of economic necessity until I didn't have to, and then later rebuilt and restored a couple as an enrichment (mechanical/bodywork) experience. I still don't have an eye for cars and have to search for a blue car when I go back to the parking lot, and have pulled on the hatch of more than one poorly disguised imposter.

I just laugh when old timers say they don't build cars like they used to. GOOD THING! In the 1960's cars rarely turned the clock over at 100K. You did ball joints at 30K, U-joints about 60K, and automatic transmissions were done at 80K. Or you bought another used car you could drive for two years. I did get 220K on my Opel WITH FOUR ENGINE OVERHAULS :lol:. Nowadays, 220K is just getting broken in.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:49 pm I repeat my outsider viewpoint that Wayne's 1DS was a lot of fun. I'm still catching up with the Easter Eggs, as when I typed the name Wayne at the beginning of this post (Wayne's World Pacer car pun). I missed the Roadrunner/ beep beep goodie, and didn't pick up on the movie and TV TOMS which were well layed (chicken pun intended).

I offered the following dreck on the LL message board, and while not on topic, this isn't a daily thread so we don't have to follow any rules ;) .

This non-car guy enjoyed this very much. Perfect pitch with the clue writing - I think the pictures alone would have been a train wreck akin to clue #12 :). I loved the El Dorado clue, but am so dumb I don't recognize a Caddy grille. I knew enough from the clues to make semi-wild guesses.

When I was sporting my 1970 Opel Station Wagon, I was carpooling with a buddy who traded from a Ford Pinto to the AMC Pacer. He also went through a VW Thing and an Opel Manta, so he had a flare for the absurd. I worked on cars out of economic necessity until I didn't have to, and then later rebuilt and restored a couple as an enrichment (mechanical/bodywork) experience. I still don't have an eye for cars and have to search for a blue car when I go back to the parking lot, and have pulled on the hatch of more than one poorly disguised imposter.

I just laugh when old timers say they don't build cars like they used to. GOOD THING! In the 1960's cars rarely turned the clock over at 100K. You did ball joints at 30K, U-joints about 60K, and automatic transmissions were done at 80K. Or you bought another used car you could drive for two years. I did get 220K on my Opel WITH FOUR ENGINE OVERHAULS :lol:. Nowadays, 220K is just getting broken in.
Thank you, glad you liked it. I just wish more Llamas would've been interested. Congrats to the five people who knew what car my flag was for. That's a picture of the centercap from one of the wheels, you can see the reflection of my hand in the picture.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:34 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:49 pm I repeat my outsider viewpoint that Wayne's 1DS was a lot of fun. I'm still catching up with the Easter Eggs, as when I typed the name Wayne at the beginning of this post (Wayne's World Pacer car pun). I missed the Roadrunner/ beep beep goodie, and didn't pick up on the movie and TV TOMS which were well layed (chicken pun intended).

Thank you, glad you liked it. I just wish more Llamas would've been interested. Congrats to the five people who knew what car my flag was for. That's a picture of the centercap from one of the wheels, you can see the reflection of my hand in the picture.
I played this one as well and totally overthought a couple of them and changed a few right answers (Pontiac Firebird TransAm and Superbird) to wrong ones by overthinking the clues. Like Kirk, I went right to Fisker Karma based on the meditation clue and flew right over the obvious Tesla. And I also fell for the Bond/Steele thing and just said Remington as I recognized that boat tail but couldn't pull the manufacturer. Fun quiz overall!
twelvefootboy

Jboard 92 Private Rundle short notice - deadline is 9th!

Post by twelvefootboy »

Come one, Come all. This will be the most un-level playing field on LL. Just join to have fun whether it be as the doormat or the door. I seem to have whetted all my curiosity about handicapping, and so on. It's still fun to be the only one to get a question in your peer group (that you define), and humbling to miss the 95 percenter softballs. (timely anecdote: I just spent 15 minutes looking up what time the six o'clock news comes on for my Mother-in-Law's new place near us).

This is the ninth edition of the supplemental/junior/whatever rundle. There's no rules except for Thorsten's, and if you could cheat/forfeit here without cheating on Thorsten's, then help yourself!

Deadline is midnight Wednesday the 9th. Premier membership required.

Jboardanarchy92 / AlexTrebek
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I finished 49th out of 620 (92nd percentile) and was the highest-ranked E-rundle participant in the Hurricanes 1DS. My meteorology degree paid benefits on this one.

I was amazed at the get rate for Dvorak classification.