LL Season 91

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL Season 91

Post by econgator »

Yeah, I'm already putting this season in the loss column.
mrparadise
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mrparadise »

With some questions I have neither a clue nor a snowball's chance in hell of figuring it out. On the reveal, though, it usually makes sense, sometimes blindingly obvious in hindsight. But once in a while I still don't have a clue. As it is with HERTZ. My thanks if someone would please explicate.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 am With some questions I have neither a clue nor a snowball's chance in hell of figuring it out. On the reveal, though, it usually makes sense, sometimes blindingly obvious in hindsight. But once in a while I still don't have a clue. As it is with HERTZ. My thanks if someone would please explicate.
Rental car companies.

Latin word for "bird" = Avis
the location of Davy Crockett's last stand = Alamo
a certain fictional spacecraft = Enterprise
and a comic book/cartoon dalmatian-like dog = Dollar ( https://hanna-barbera.fandom.com/wiki/Dollar_the_Dog )

I'm surprised at the low Sierra Leone get rate. It's literally the name of the country!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:40 am
mrparadise wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 am With some questions I have neither a clue nor a snowball's chance in hell of figuring it out. On the reveal, though, it usually makes sense, sometimes blindingly obvious in hindsight. But once in a while I still don't have a clue. As it is with HERTZ. My thanks if someone would please explicate.
Rental car companies.

and a comic book/cartoon dalmatian-like dog = Dollar ( https://hanna-barbera.fandom.com/wiki/Dollar_the_Dog )

I'm surprised at the low Sierra Leone get rate. It's literally the name of the country!

Thanks. Though I had alamo and enterprise was one of the very few fictional spacecraft I could name, I glommed on to ave as the bird (I knew better) and just couldn't get there. Now, of course, with your help it's perfectly obvious.

As for Sierra Leone, I'm pretty good with African geography and know Spanish so it should have been an instaget. But no, the obvious eluded me and I guessed Namibia.

Despite these dopeslap worthy misses I still eked out a 2(2) 1(2) win.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My first tie since June 2. I got 3 for Sierra Leone and my opponent got 3 for Da Capo on the way to 6(4) each.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I think that, without the mention of Picket Hill, I would have gotten the Sierra Leone question. I assumed that name was included to help us get to the correct answer. That led to a guess of South Africa, thinking that Picket Hill might be a well-known (to others, obv) location from the Boer Wars. I ended up thinking more about that part of the question, and glossed right over Lion Mountains.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I want to say that Ken Jennings had a Kennections quiz very similar to yesterday's Question 6, but I am not sure.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

In my case, it didn't occur to me that "Atlantic coast" might mean a country's west coast. I went with Belize because it was Mount Lion rather than Monte León.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I went with South Africa because "Mount Lion" is English.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lefty wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:37 pm
In my case, it didn't occur to me that "Atlantic coast" might mean a country's west coast. I went with Belize because it was Mount Lion rather than Monte León.
I just didn't consider Africa for some reason. My first thought was Ireland, but I ended up guessing France because "Picket" sounded French. Classic Thorsten kind of question, though.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Google Maps doesn't exactly make Picket Hill look like an exciting place to visit:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Picke ... 22!5m1!1e4
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:40 am I'm surprised at the low Sierra Leone get rate. It's literally the name of the country!
Somehow my brain turned "Atlantic" into "Americas". I thought of Sierra Leone and thought, nah, that's in Africa.

The first question I just left blank. There's nothing I could come up with that made any sense and I've never heard of the correct answer.

Not that it matters. Like I said, I've already given up on this season. I'll go back down to C next season and I'll make sure I stay there from now on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:07 pm Google Maps doesn't exactly make Picket Hill look like an exciting place to visit:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Picke ... 22!5m1!1e4
If you had told me that photo was taken in western North Carolina, I would have believed you.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 am Because nobody asked :lol: :

The JBL Bizarro match is shaping up and the defending champ KerryOakie is reeling. There's plenty of time for a comeback, but it's tougher now that SBurrus and ClassicRoadster are not sandbagging.
For now, NoWhammies10 is pitching a perfect game: 5 threes, a 5 game streak (duh), and 5 wasted zeroes (the tiebreaker). He's not just getting groundouts either, his DE of 0.077 is swinging strikes on 0-2 counts. On the flip side, morbeedo is on track to win the regular DE, AND the three point contest.
I've never knowingly sandbagged it, I just forgot a few days! Also, I was pretty bad at it the first go around, I think my DE was still in the 400s....This season? Killing it, given up 3s on 6 of 7 days so far with a very robust 0.174 DE. Not quite as good (or bad) as our esteemed 12FootLeader with a DE of 0.150 though.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Rental car companies.

Thanks for the elucidation on the dog component. I couldn't get to Dollar the dog from a Google list of 25 most famous cartoon dogs, so it probably was not very helpful to the players.
I was working with "Avi_", with possible a, o, or an (but didn't think of "s") for the blank + Alamo (surely can't be Texas or San Antonio), and Enterprise or Millennium Falcon plus a jillion unknown options. I didn't like Enterprise because it is (also) a real spaceship and Thorsten doesn't usually leave room for ambiguity (he actually uses it to help with clues quite often). I considered it an SI unit question and couldn't get off of mho from Alamo but finally went with (the MCWA) "Ampere" from the two known "A" data points.
It is a great question, but I would have liked to know how it plays as "this unit for reciprocal time". Obviously it becomes a gimme for scientists.
Just SMH about the Sierra Leone question. I STILL didn't recognize the eponymous point until reading it here. The Pickett part was rather unhelpful I think. The Pickett part and the Lion made me want to be in Scotland or Wales real bad, but I don't know the North Sea / Irish Sea / Atlantic delineations and no way that Scotland/Wales guesses qualify as a nation although 3000 feet sounds about right for Highlands. (PSA, Ben Nevis is 4400 ft, the highest point in the UK). I settled on eastern South America, and Western Africa and picked Kenya (wah-wah-wah it's on the East side dummy) over a slightly better guess of Morocco.

It's been a downward spiral this week after an even 3 per day x 5 days the first week. I will vacate a place in the global C universe for econgator to occupy. Make room in D :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I partied like it was 1986 yesterday with my first Buckner loss, by a score of 3(1)-2(3). His only get was the bridge.

I assigned zero for the Iceland city, which played much harder than I expected, obviously. I also got FIFA and squall. NHO Brill.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:15 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 am Because nobody asked :lol: :

The JBL Bizarro match is shaping up and the defending champ KerryOakie is reeling. There's plenty of time for a comeback, but it's tougher now that SBurrus and ClassicRoadster are not sandbagging.
For now, NoWhammies10 is pitching a perfect game: 5 threes, a 5 game streak (duh), and 5 wasted zeroes (the tiebreaker). He's not just getting groundouts either, his DE of 0.077 is swinging strikes on 0-2 counts. On the flip side, morbeedo is on track to win the regular DE, AND the three point contest.
I've never knowingly sandbagged it, I just forgot a few days! Also, I was pretty bad at it the first go around, I think my DE was still in the 400s....This season? Killing it, given up 3s on 6 of 7 days so far with a very robust 0.174 DE. Not quite as good (or bad) as our esteemed 12FootLeader with a DE of 0.150 though.
You can easily be forgiven for forgetting since I didn't get the rundle named as "Bizarro..." and you are the senior Jboardliter :). I didn't know where my DE was and taking a look just now has revealed even more layers of complexity. Teapot37 and NoWhammies are putting up strong stats in UfPA and PCAA. I love how the rundle level of the player is damn near irrelevant. There has been some turbulence this week after the day 6 shellacking of the leaders. My new 1-game streak remains intact thanks to playing against a bagel :(. Thanks for participatating and maybe we can foment some new recruits for LL92 :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Way overthought FIFA. I thought, "Well, that's just its name, not its short name. Must be PES."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:32 pm Way overthought FIFA. I thought, "Well, that's just its name, not its short name. Must be PES."
I only missed the 3 twice in Bizarro world - MD1 with Sears (82% CA) and MD8 with FIFA (87% CA)...
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:40 amI'm surprised at the low Sierra Leone get rate. It's literally the name of the country!
Canada here. I thought about South Africa, ruled out Namibia and Angola, then figured all of the other eligible African countries were too small to have self-contained mountain ranges that also bordered the Atlantic (ruling out the Congos, for example).

Of course I was thinking about something much longer than 20 miles
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.