LL Season 91

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL Season 91

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:40 pm
sarisson wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 pm Anyone else finding LL91 super easy? The league average QPct seems to back this up.
I've won more games this season than in the last two seasons combined (I'm in a lower rundle, but still). My career high TCA is 104, and I'm already at 98 through 21 games!
I want to say no, but after looking it up I'm over .700 and have only twice out of 28 times ended with a Qpct that high.
Definitely is not for me; I'm -25 on my QPct (581v556).
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:11 am I'd never heard of Louise Erdrich and I feel like I should have. I went with the MCWA of Sherman Alexie even though I was fairly certain that was wrong. Still got the win yesterday.
I recognize her name as one I have seen, but that's all I could really say. My guess was William Least-Heat Moon, but I see now he is actually William Least Heat-Moon, because his father was Heat-Moon and his older brother Little Heat-Moon.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:39 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:11 am I'd never heard of Louise Erdrich and I feel like I should have. I went with the MCWA of Sherman Alexie even though I was fairly certain that was wrong. Still got the win yesterday.
I recognize her name as one I have seen, but that's all I could really say. My guess was William Least-Heat Moon, but I see now he is actually William Least Heat-Moon, because his father was Heat-Moon and his older brother Little Heat-Moon.
I considered him, too, but wasn't sure he wrote fiction.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:40 pm
sarisson wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 pm Anyone else finding LL91 super easy? The league average QPct seems to back this up.
I've won more games this season than in the last two seasons combined (I'm in a lower rundle, but still). My career high TCA is 104, and I'm already at 98 through 21 games!
I want to say no, but after looking it up I'm over .700 and have only twice out of 28 times ended with a Qpct that high.
My Qpct for 91 is .652, 39 points higher than any of my previous 21 seasons, and I'll almost certainly better significantly my TCA. But only the slimmest of chances of being promoted back to (where I used to think I belong) B.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Defensive losses are the worst. I took one yesterday 6(5)-7(5). We both missed the Sachertorte question, but I assigned it a 2 and he assigned it 3. That one seemed tough to me, but it was hard to give my opponent a three in a category he had a .831 lifetime get rate in. A rundle problems...

I'm now mathematically eliminated from championship contention. :(
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:03 pm Defensive losses are the worst. I took one yesterday 6(5)-7(5). We both missed the Sachertorte question, but I assigned it a 2 and he assigned it 3. That one seemed tough to me, but it was hard to give my opponent a three in a category he had a .831 lifetime get rate in. A rundle problems...

My defense had sucked this season. For reasons I have yet to fathom, I’ve had a lot of uncertainty about how to defend many questions. My OE is also up 100 points over my norm so perhaps others are struggling with defense, too
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:26 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:03 pm Defensive losses are the worst. I took one yesterday 6(5)-7(5). We both missed the Sachertorte question, but I assigned it a 2 and he assigned it 3. That one seemed tough to me, but it was hard to give my opponent a three in a category he had a .831 lifetime get rate in. A rundle problems...

My defense had sucked this season. For reasons I have yet to fathom, I’ve had a lot of uncertainty about how to defend many questions. My OE is also up 100 points over my norm so perhaps others are struggling with defense, too
That's the one thing I haven't struggled with this season. I've got a .761 DE, which is about +80 from my career mark.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'm at that awkward stage in my LL career where I miss things I got before because I think it's too soon for them to repeat. Whereas the things I simply had never heard of last time still barely register. Anyone know of any good free brainwashing programs?

I'll admit that the "Trouble" question was an exception; I heard it very recently and said "Sorry!" last time because I was attracted by the double meaning.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:14 pm I'm at that awkward stage in my LL career where I miss things I got before because I think it's too soon for them to repeat. Whereas the things I simply had never heard of last time still barely register. Anyone know of any good free brainwashing programs?

I'll admit that the "Trouble" question was an exception; I heard it very recently and said "Sorry!" last time because I was attracted by the double meaning.
How recently? Like... 02 December recently? :D
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7205 ("T" FOR... $1200)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Bizarro second round update

Post by twelvefootboy »

LA Law and the Sundance Kid prevented teapot37 and twelvefootboy from clean sweeps. Teapot37 managed to waste all eleven zeroes, however to win the second round.

The Sundance Kid was missed by 5 players, and Trouble and Frustration by 4 players to crash everybody's streaks on MD20/22. These are the kind of clues that are so clever by Thorsten. Easy and obvious, unless they are hard and obtuse :).

MD21 was the only 12 pack of threes by the whole rundle. The rundle had no sweeps or skunks, but had some nice rescues to prevent skunks. Louise Erdrich was saved by teapot37 with a singleton. We had doubletons on Marcus Garvey and Lake Malawi (mahatma and teapot37), and ear (morbeedo and teapot37). (notice the theme on the rescue clues ;))

Beers (against you) and Bagels are noted in the graphic to show how streaks continue. The Boardie group is shown, the whole group is spoilered just because... (eta - posting image problems, removed spoiler, will mess with later)

For the record, I'm done researching streak length :). Too many fractals and chaos theory to deal with :lol:. Maybe the next game will reward risk taking with assigning threes according to league success rate.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

This is my rookie season, but I forgot to play the Midseason Classic. Can I get judges' rulings on these two? "Adlai Stevenson" even though it asked for the last name only. I'm guessing that would've been incorrect, but the Commissioner is sometimes unexpectedly lenient, so I'm not sure.

The other one was just "hockey" instead of "ice hockey." Judges?
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tddeveryday wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 pm This is my rookie season, but I forgot to play the Midseason Classic. Can I get judges' rulings on these two? "Adlai Stevenson" even though it asked for the last name only. I'm guessing that would've been incorrect, but the Commissioner is sometimes unexpectedly lenient, so I'm not sure.

The other one was just "hockey" instead of "ice hockey." Judges?
Wrong first name is always wrong.

Hockey is fine.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

econgator wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:02 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 pm "Adlai Stevenson" even though it asked for the last name only. I'm guessing that would've been incorrect, but the Commissioner is sometimes unexpectedly lenient, so I'm not sure.

Judges?
Was that the wrong first name?
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

mahatma wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm
econgator wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:02 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:48 pm "Adlai Stevenson" even though it asked for the last name only. I'm guessing that would've been incorrect, but the Commissioner is sometimes unexpectedly lenient, so I'm not sure.

Judges?
Was that the wrong first name?
It's the correct first name for both the grandfather and grandson. Here's the question:
wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm What was the last name of the US Vice President under Grover Cleveland whose namesake grandson was himself a two-time nominee for the US Presidency?

Answer: STEVENSON
I think I'll mark myself incorrect on this one. That's 7 out of 12 for me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tddeveryday wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:32 pm I think I'll mark myself incorrect on this one. That's 7 out of 12 for me.
My bad. I thought you meant that you had the last name right, but the first name wrong. What you put is fine.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

econgator wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:45 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:32 pm I think I'll mark myself incorrect on this one. That's 7 out of 12 for me.
My bad. I thought you meant that you had the last name right, but the first name wrong. What you put is fine.
8 out of 12 then! Awesome!
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Both of those are correct. There is no wrong name given and hockey is fine for ice hockey. Give yourself credit.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I have several of the very top players on my Player Tracker page and it looks like RautY forfeited for the first time in his LL career.

Hopefully everything is ok!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This is my antepenultimate day in C rundle. Sitting at 19th of 20, with a giant gap just to 18th.

This has been a little harder than average season for me. Each day the difficulty seemed to be bi-modal - I got them or I had no chance. I scored according to my comfort with the questions, and blew the defense because of my 29 MCWA (through MD22). My 62 TCA would be a little better if I won a few more coin flips.

On the bright (?) side, I am currently tied for 14th leaguewide for the Dawkins Award (leaders have 31 MCWA) and leading all of Taiga by two. I just discovered that this is even a thing, but I've got to shout out to ZortmanS for having 31 MCWA against 34 TCA :). My analytical brain is trying to figure the complex relationship between MCWA, TCA, and Total Incorrect Answers. The more you miss, the more shots you have, therefore A players often only have a couple per season. This award is kind of a consolation prize, but I'll take it. It also might be a sort of metric to flush out cheaters - how often do you look up and insert a wrong answer :lol:.

Yesterday was another day where I hoped for 5 right and got one on the reveal. I thought Desert Storm might have been a book/movie. I didn't parse "Tannenbaum" into just Tannen and Baum to get the tree. I got two more MCWA yesterday with UT instead of A&M. I thought A&M was near Waco, and Austin didn't sound familiar for UT. I didn't mine my knowledge of nursery rhymes and stubbornly decided that Mary (had a little lamb) would fit the meter of the passage, in spite of the seven syllables vs eight.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How to turn a win into a tie? I had tannenbaum instead of baum in wasting a chance to score 3 more points. :oops: