Are there any Tournaments in store for Season 38?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Are there any Tournaments in store for Season 38?

Post by DBear »

Another newly eligible senior here.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm
Sherm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 pm I want the seniors tournament brought back, and it has nothing to do with me turning 55 in a couple of months.
Same here. I want the seniors tournament brought back, and it has nothing to do with you turning 55 in a couple of months.
Whippersnappers. If they bring it back, it should be limited to those of us born while Harry and Bess (or Frankie and Eleanor) were in the White House.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:51 pm
Sherm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 pm I want the seniors tournament brought back, and it has nothing to do with me turning 55 in a couple of months.
Same here. I want the seniors tournament brought back, and it has nothing to do with you turning 55 in a couple of months.
Whippersnappers. If they bring it back, it should be limited to those of us born while Harry and Bess (or Frankie and Eleanor) were in the White House.
That seems typically fair. The Seniors Tournament can be Boomers only and the regular game can be for Millennials and younger. That covers everyone!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:51 pm
That seems typically fair. The Seniors Tournament can be Boomers only and the regular game can be for Millennials and younger. That covers everyone!
Generation X forgotten again...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

https://www.tvinsider.com/1024064/jeopa ... im-bialik/

the NCC airdates have officially been announced, no news about the format yet or anything though.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It said 36 players with nine hour-long episodes.

So nine teams of four?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:07 pm It said 36 players with nine hour-long episodes.

So nine teams of four?
Perhaps it's 36 students from 12 colleges in teams of three players more like Peyton's College Bowl.

An hour show can have two games for the preliminary rounds?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

These are 1 hour shows, so two shows per airdate.

one possibility is they get rid of the team format and do this (although I doubt it):

16 games before championship

36 players / 3 = 12 games

12 winners / 3 = 4 games

4 podium final match
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Assuming 16 games followed by a two-game championship match, I don't think you can get from 36 teams down to 3 without some fundamentally unfair fudging, e.g., elimination of low-scoring winners.

But if we have 18 two-player teams, that would mean six quarterfinals producing 6 winners plus 6 wildcard advancers among high-scoring nonwinners. Those twelve teams could then compete in four matches to produce 4 winners plus 2 wildcard advancers. We have 6 teams and six games left before the finals in which to narrow 6 teams to 3 teams. Perhaps two two-game matches could give us two finalists, and a third two-game match played by three high-scoring nonwinners of those two matches would give a third finalist.

Just spitballing here.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:56 pm But if we have 18 two-player teams, that would mean six quarterfinals producing 6 winners plus 6 wildcard advancers among high-scoring nonwinners. Those twelve teams could then compete in four matches to produce 4 winners plus 2 wildcard advancers. We have 6 teams and six games left before the finals in which to narrow 6 teams to 3 teams. Perhaps two two-game matches could give us two finalists, and a third two-game match played by three high-scoring nonwinners of those two matches would give a third finalist.
I think the first part of this is right on the money. 18 teams, two players each and six quarterfinal games. I'm not sure how they'll determine who plays in the semifinals.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I can't find an official ABC press release (which a few sources claim to cite), but it looks like these 36 players are from 36 different schools… seems unlikely they'd pair them up.

I'm guessing for logistics purposes we'll have "pods" of nine players, each playing down to a single player over two nights. As others have pointed out, that'd be four finalists.

S&P probably wouldn't allow wild cards if all eligible players aren't sequestered (tough to do over four non-finals taping days), and a fourth podium seems unlikely (it would look really bad on screen with COVID spacing), so I'm stuck here
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:40 pm I can't find an official ABC press release (which a few sources claim to cite), but it looks like these 36 players are from 36 different schools… seems unlikely they'd pair them up.

I'm guessing for logistics purposes we'll have "pods" of nine players, each playing down to a single player over two nights. As others have pointed out, that'd be four finalists.

S&P probably wouldn't allow wild cards if all eligible players aren't sequestered (tough to do over four non-finals taping days), and a fourth podium seems unlikely (it would look really bad on screen with COVID spacing), so I'm stuck here
I've said often enough, a show will usually do what is easiest as easiest is also usually cheaper.

Just because they haven't moved the three podiums back together yet for regular games doesn't mean they can't, and there's no reason they should at this point in the pandemic.

With all the protocols, everyone on set is vaccinated/tested. This means there is no reason they can't have the podiums closer together for four when needed for what will amount to about 45 minutes of game time, and add some time for other production reasons.

I really see a four player final here.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Seems like they picked a bad time for it because it will be competing with the Olympics.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Vermonter wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:40 pm I can't find an official ABC press release (which a few sources claim to cite), but it looks like these 36 players are from 36 different schools… seems unlikely they'd pair them up.

In the era of widescreen and HD, 4 podiums seems like a natural fit for the screen, surprised it hasn't been revisited sooner.