Friday, November 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, November 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:12 pm
davey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:47 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:35 pm
davey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:42 pmBut weasel excuse is punchy! Is it penguin idiom?
Sure. It's a noun modifying another noun. Happens all the time in English. Alarm clock. Safety deposit box. Alarm doesn't mean anxious, safety doesn't mean free from danger, and weasel doesn't mean sneaky.
Yes, some grammarians call them adjectival nouns. But the category was Synonyms, not Parts of Speech.
"Anxious clock" doesn't make much sense, but "sneaky excuse" sure does, and that's exactly how I take your meaning: sneaking around your rules. Which is a lot more fun than following them, btw... ;)
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Weasel is not a synonym for sneaky or evasive. Period. The clue was poorly written and there was no correct response. Do you agree that "What is weaselly?" should have been an acceptable response?
It's hard to misparse "this animal." But they might have accepted it - because they're notoriously lax... ;)
I would've thought it's hard to misparse "synonym" too. :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:31 pm
davey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:12 pm
davey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:47 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:35 pm

Sure. It's a noun modifying another noun. Happens all the time in English. Alarm clock. Safety deposit box. Alarm doesn't mean anxious, safety doesn't mean free from danger, and weasel doesn't mean sneaky.
Yes, some grammarians call them adjectival nouns. But the category was Synonyms, not Parts of Speech.
"Anxious clock" doesn't make much sense, but "sneaky excuse" sure does, and that's exactly how I take your meaning: sneaking around your rules. Which is a lot more fun than following them, btw... ;)
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Weasel is not a synonym for sneaky or evasive. Period. The clue was poorly written and there was no correct response. Do you agree that "What is weaselly?" should have been an acceptable response?
It's hard to misparse "this animal." But they might have accepted it - because they're notoriously lax... ;)
I would've thought it's hard to misparse "synonym" too. :D
Taking the penguin's side on this one
https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/weasel - While 'evade' and 'sneak' are listed, adjective forms are not.

And last week, a contestant was dinged for giving the noun form rather than the verb, per the category:
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7185

So, they botched their own consistency.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:16 pm Knew the play being referenced, but couldn't come up with Stoppard. I said Inge.
Similar, but not identical. Knew the play being referenced, but couldn't come up with Stoppard. I said nothing.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation hopes to cure injuries to this body part "by advancing innovative research"
The pedantic medic in me was a bit irritated that they accepted "spine." The Reeve Foundation mission statement discusses "spinal cord injuries," so the correct response should have been "spinal cord."

The spine and the spinal cord are two different things. You can injure either one of them without necessarily injuring the other.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

200 Years Ago, $200: Some surmise that arsenic in the wallpaper contributed to this leader's death on the island of St. Helena in 1821

This was the time for "either that wallpaper goes, or I do".
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:01 pm 200 Years Ago, $200: Some surmise that arsenic in the wallpaper contributed to this leader's death on the island of St. Helena in 1821

This was the time for "either that wallpaper goes, or I do".
:lol:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The name of the demolished railway sration in New York and the existing one in Baltimore is Pennsylvania Station, not Penn Station.

Should there be BMS for Justice Marshall?

I said footed bathtubs, not clawfoot. Judges?

The ability to weasel out of things is what distinguishes humans from animals. Except the weasel. -- Homer Simpson

Gingerbread George is not alliterative. NEither is George Gershwin.

Stoppard instaget.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 pm The name of the demolished railway sration in New York and the existing one in Baltimore is Pennsylvania Station, not Penn Station.
Sure, but it's known almost exclusively as Penn Station.
floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 pm Should there be BMS for Justice Marshall?
Should there be? Yes. Will they ever? No.
floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 pm I said footed bathtubs, not clawfoot. Judges?
Nope.
floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:51 pm Gingerbread George is not alliterative. NEither is George Gershwin.
The former absolutely is. The latter is at least debatable.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That is the current Penn Station. The question was about the one that was torn down in 1963, which was known as Pennsylvania station.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:30 pm That is the current Penn Station. The question was about the one that was torn down in 1963, which was known as Pennsylvania station.
Baloney. The old one was also referred to as "Penn Station," too.
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/12 ... &auto=webp
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm probably obsessing about nothing. If they aren't going to bMs Adams, Roosevelt, and Justice Marshall, they're not going to bMs Penn Station.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 am I'm probably obsessing about nothing. If they aren't going to bMs Adams, Roosevelt, and Justice Marshall, they're not going to bMs Penn Station.
Why would they BMS when the clue specifically alludes to the stations having the same name? And even more, why would they BMS for a clue that the only contestant who could respond missed outright?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

And technically, the entire station was not demolished, basically only the above-ground portion -- the underground portion remained relatively intact, and that's what's still in use as Pennsylvania/Penn Station today (although it's been renovated over the years).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Arthur Miller died in 2005 — I would have guessed earlier. Still, no way he qualifies as contemporary. That said, I give the players credit for not leaving their screens blank. Good on Andrew for coming up with the right guy.