Friday, November 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, November 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Knew the play being referenced, but couldn't come up with Stoppard. I said Inge.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Movies by Oscar Winning Song $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:28 pm 59 R (Missed Movies by Oscar Winning Song $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
WTG proving me wrong about Disney and sorry to see the fogey-est of the clues got you.

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:16 pm Knew the play being referenced, but couldn't come up with Stoppard. I said Inge.
In before opus--That FJ! clue was no "Picnic" for you.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:16 pm Knew the play being referenced, but couldn't come up with Stoppard. I said Inge.
Same here, except came up with Pinter, but knew it was wrong
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:37 pm
In before opus--That FJ! clue was no "Picnic" for you.
:lol: Didn't even think of that one! Glad to know I constitute a genre of quips.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:55 pm
I joined He in his puzzlement over and eventual right response to DD3: "This animal is a synonym for evasive or sneaky as it was thought to suck out the contents of an egg while leaving the shell intact." Weasel is NOT a synonym for evasive or sneaky. Unless the writers have some weasel excuse. With apologies to Ron and his family, weaselly is the synonym. Would they have accepted "What is weaselly?" I hope so. It's no more wrong than the response they did accept.
Have you ever heard the expression "weasel words"? Or used it as a verb?
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:43 pm

The FJ! category had me precall four names: Shepard, Wasserstein, Ensler and what turned out to be the right name
I could be wrong, but I took Contemporary Playwrights (rather than Modern, say) to indicate still around...And btw, Eve Ensler appears never to have been invoked on J!, any more than her only well-known work would ever be mentioned...Luckily, Tom Stoppard's latest play Leopoldstat premiered in London just before the pandemic began...
I'm pretty sure I would have gotten this FJ under any circumstances, but it helped that I just picked up a copy of R&G Are Dead from a box of books someone left in my neighborhood, a few weeks ago...and a few minutes before watching the episode, I read the obituary of another playwright, Jonathan Reynolds, which mentioned that he was an understudy in the Broadway production of R&G are Dead in the 60s...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:25 pm
I joined He in his puzzlement over and eventual right response to DD3: "This animal is a synonym for evasive or sneaky as it was thought to suck out the contents of an egg while leaving the shell intact." Weasel is NOT a synonym for evasive or sneaky. Unless the writers have some weasel excuse. With apologies to Ron and his family, weaselly is the synonym. Would they have accepted "What is weaselly?" I hope so. It's no more wrong than the response they did accept.
Of course. In neither case would I agree that "weasel" on its own is "a synonym for evasive or sneaky". "Evasive" and "sneaky" are not verbs. "Weasel words" is an idiom that has to be taken as a whole. It doesn't parse out to weasel=sneaky+words=words any more than "love letter" parses out to love=loving+letter=letter. I'll drop my objection if someone provides a clear example of weasel being used as an adjective.

I don't know if this would put the clue over the character limit, but I'd be happy with "This animal lends its name to a synonym for...."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:43 pm

The FJ! category had me precall four names: Shepard, Wasserstein, Ensler and what turned out to be the right name
I could be wrong, but I took Contemporary Playwrights (rather than Modern, say) to indicate still around...And btw, Eve Ensler appears never to have been invoked on J!, any more than her only well-known work would ever be mentioned...Luckily, Tom Stoppard's latest play Leopoldstat premiered in London just before the pandemic began...
I'm pretty sure I would have gotten this FJ under any circumstances, but it helped that I just picked up a copy of R&G Are Dead from a box of books someone left in my neighborhood, a few weeks ago...and a few minutes before watching the episode, I read the obituary of another playwright, Jonathan Reynolds, which mentioned that he was an understudy in the Broadway production of R&G are Dead in the 60s...
Good point, thanks, and I'll have to remember that the next time "contemporary" comes up for the FJ! round. I would have recalled for sure that Shepard and Wasserstein had died. Ensler outside the realms of J! sphere makes sense. I would have had no idea whether Stoppard was alive or had died.

If I had kept thinking during the break then it's likely Mamet would have been next to occur to me. Tony Kushner is a name I could have written if there had been some kind of "angel" hint. I'm not sure who else is FJ-round known enough other than David Hwang.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:57 pm
davey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:25 pm
Of course. In neither case would I agree that "weasel" on its own is "a synonym for evasive or sneaky". "Evasive" and "sneaky" are not verbs. "Weasel words" is an idiom that has to be taken as a whole. It doesn't parse out to weasel=sneaky+words=words any more than "love letter" parses out to love=loving+letter=letter. I'll drop my objection if someone provides a clear example of weasel being used as an adjective.

I don't know if this would put the clue over the character limit, but I'd be happy with "This animal lends its name to a synonym for...."
I shouldn't have mentioned verbs, you're right. That was dumb. But weasel excuse is punchy! Is it penguin idiom?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:42 pmBut weasel excuse is punchy! Is it penguin idiom?
Sure. It's a noun modifying another noun. Happens all the time in English. Alarm clock. Safety deposit box. Alarm doesn't mean anxious, safety doesn't mean free from danger, and weasel doesn't mean sneaky.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

38R. 0/4 on big clues. Lots of new stuff for me to learn. Final Jeopardy's play within a play hint led me to The Taming of the Shrew which led me to Kiss Me, Kate and I had no idea who wrote that. Or that it was only a musical and never a play.

Lots of misses for me today. Genii instead of Genera, Ronald McDonald House instead of St. Jude, Ulysses instead of Finnegans Wake, Tuni instead of Tuna, and Cello instead of Viola.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are clawfoot, Seton, Racial Equality, soprano sax, and amphibian.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:27 pm ...and Cello instead of Viola.
I feel that I have to ask whether you did or did not have access to the video part of the clue.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:17 pm
I feel that I have to ask whether you did or did not have access to the video part of the clue.
I saw the video and missed it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:43 pm
Somebody has to do it :lol: : (viola joke warning)
Spoiler
How is lightning like a violist's fingers?
Neither one strikes in the same place twice.
How do you keep your violin from getting stolen?
Put it in a viola case.
What's the difference between a violin and a viola?
The viola burns longer.
The viola holds more beer.
You can tune the violin.
We all know that a viola is better than a violin because it burns longer. But why does it burn longer?
It's usually still in the case.
How do you get a viola section to play spiccato?
Write a whole note with "solo" above it.
How do you get a violist to play a passage pianissimo tremolando?
Mark it "solo."
What's the difference between a viola and a coffin?
The coffin has the dead person on the inside.
What do you do with a dead violist?
Move him back a desk.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Somebody has to do it :lol: : (viola joke warning)
Spoiler
How is lightning like a violist's fingers?
Neither one strikes in the same place twice.
How do you keep your violin from getting stolen?
Put it in a viola case.
What's the difference between a violin and a viola?
The viola burns longer.
The viola holds more beer.
You can tune the violin.
We all know that a viola is better than a violin because it burns longer. But why does it burn longer?
It's usually still in the case.
How do you get a viola section to play spiccato?
Write a whole note with "solo" above it.
How do you get a violist to play a passage pianissimo tremolando?
Mark it "solo."
What's the difference between a viola and a coffin?
The coffin has the dead person on the inside.
What do you do with a dead violist?
Move him back a desk.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:35 pm
davey wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:42 pmBut weasel excuse is punchy! Is it penguin idiom?
Sure. It's a noun modifying another noun. Happens all the time in English. Alarm clock. Safety deposit box. Alarm doesn't mean anxious, safety doesn't mean free from danger, and weasel doesn't mean sneaky.
Yes, some grammarians call them adjectival nouns. But the category was Synonyms, not Parts of Speech.
"Anxious clock" doesn't make much sense, but "sneaky excuse" sure does, and that's exactly how I take your meaning: sneaking around your rules. Which is a lot more fun than following them, btw... ;)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I missed it the same way--purely slip of the tongue. I knew it wasn't violin, which was 90% of getting the clue right.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:47 am
Yes, some grammarians call them adjectival nouns. But the category was Synonyms, not Parts of Speech.
"Anxious clock" doesn't make much sense, but "sneaky excuse" sure does, and that's exactly how I take your meaning: sneaking around your rules. Which is a lot more fun than following them, btw... ;)
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Weasel is not a synonym for sneaky or evasive. Period. The clue was poorly written and there was no correct response. Do you agree that "What is weaselly?" should have been an acceptable response?
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:12 pm
davey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:47 am
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Weasel is not a synonym for sneaky or evasive. Period. The clue was poorly written and there was no correct response. Do you agree that "What is weaselly?" should have been an acceptable response?
It's hard to misparse "this animal." But they might have accepted it - because they're notoriously lax... ;)