Stories From Bar Trivia Night

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Stories From Bar Trivia Night

Post by Anachronism »

My wife and I used to play bar trivia every week. Now, all the games use some form of cell phone submission forms instead of paper slips, so it's one big cheat-fest.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

We had a Jeopardy alum team one night, and we ended in a tie for first place. The winner was determined through a dance-off, which (former JBoard participant) Rex Kramer won for us.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 pm My wife and I used to play bar trivia every week. Now, all the games use some form of cell phone submission forms instead of paper slips, so it's one big cheat-fest.
I use cell phone submission and don't have any issues. When anyone brings up the "hey, now it's easy to cheat" stuff, I just say, "welcome to 2010 when everyone has a cell phone."

A good host can spot the cheaters anyway, and there are enough methods to deal with it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woof wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:48 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:16 pm You guys are braver than I am. I'm not ready to return to a crowded bar for trivia night yet.
What I’ve been doing, along with many others, since the pandemic hit is the Online Quiz League USA. Jboard has been decently represented there, with a team consisting of Reddpen, bomtr, Teapot37, myself and one of my in-person pub quiz teammates, 1987 TOC semifinalist Eric Berman.

It resembles English pub trivia more than US versions, and the questions are quite challenging. Still, we’ve managed to hold our own in a field replete with J! ToCers are other top quizzers, staying afloat in one of the B divisions and thankful that we’re not in A division :mrgreen:
Y'all kicked our butts this week! I'm pretty sure we're going to be relegated again.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:28 am
Woof wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:48 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:16 pm You guys are braver than I am. I'm not ready to return to a crowded bar for trivia night yet.
What I’ve been doing, along with many others, since the pandemic hit is the Online Quiz League USA. Jboard has been decently represented there, with a team consisting of Reddpen, bomtr, Teapot37, myself and one of my in-person pub quiz teammates, 1987 TOC semifinalist Eric Berman.

It resembles English pub trivia more than US versions, and the questions are quite challenging. Still, we’ve managed to hold our own in a field replete with J! ToCers are other top quizzers, staying afloat in one of the B divisions and thankful that we’re not in A division :mrgreen:
Y'all kicked our butts this week! I'm pretty sure we're going to be relegated again.
Last week was a tough one, not just for you all. I know firsthand how things can change there week to week. My wife said last week was my Slumdog Millionaire moment: questions about Flsmin’ Hot Cheetos, Kurosawa films, amino acids and organic molecules.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:42 pm Last week was a tough one, not just for you all. I know firsthand how things can change there week to week. My wife said last week was my Slumdog Millionaire moment: questions about Flsmin’ Hot Cheetos, Kurosawa films, amino acids and organic molecules.
I just watched (on Criterion) a Kurosawa film that I had never heard of before .... High and Low, with Toshiro Mifune. A police/ kidnapping tale, and not a samurai in sight. Mifune plays a business executive. Quite good, although slow and a little too long.