Tuesday, November 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:10 pm Has a five-time champion ever played three games as two-player Finals?

Has any champ ever played three two-player Finals in a row?
In before LP sees your post. 10/91.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Painful to watch Matt try the Amodio strategy & end up cratering. :shock:
What in the name of Peyton Manning happened on the bottom of the Omaha category? Missouri River & Gerald Ford TS ? :?
:D :D :( :( on big clues. Matched Amy with 94 & Amsterdam. :|
Last edited by DBear on Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:37 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:32 pm Yeah, do you really expect me to get this one? Piss off with these goddamn Liederkranzes already.
At least you did not figure out Canada and then make Toronto or Montreal the capital. Liederkranz? Many had never heard of the cheese. Everyone here at the minimum has heard of Ottawa.
Getting "Canada" out of that clue is only slightly easier than getting actual liederkranz cheese.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

French sounding name, cold, capital.

Winterlude is a truly great experience. I hate winter, I love Winterlude. come visit! next year! you can skate to work with me and we can literally eat maple syrup candy and poutine on the canal. It's a stereotype come to life.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:39 pm "Cold + French + world capital" should lead to a WECIB response. Going there in the late winter (March) was the coldest I have ever been.
I'll bet you dinner that Amsterdam outpolls the correct response.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

I have a personal interest in huge negative scores. I once knew what the record was but I've forgotten. If not a new record, this has got to be pretty close.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:39 pm "Cold + French + world capital" should lead to a WECIB response.
More like "winter, which occurs worldwide" + "random-ass word that sounds like it could be from nearly any language"
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:45 pm After Ken read the six J! round categories (and did it in a fun way) I liked his: Amy, I'm snapping the ball to you; where shall we start?
Yep. Other guest hosts have kept the game moving along. But none have come close to adding the kind of value that Ken does.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:54 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:39 pm "Cold + French + world capital" should lead to a WECIB response. Going there in the late winter (March) was the coldest I have ever been.
Is there a reason I don't know as to why stuff in Amsterdam would be expected to have a French name? Is it common knowledge that there was French influence in the Netherlands?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:04 pm
Is there a reason I don't know as to why stuff in Amsterdam would be expected to have a French name? Is it common knowledge that there was French influence in the Netherlands?
Not that I know of.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bengland wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 pm I have a personal interest in huge negative scores. I once knew what the record was but I've forgotten. If not a new record, this has got to be pretty close.
The record is -$7,400, or -$5,100 predoubled.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Instaget, probably almost as fast as Mennoknight. Have visited Ottawa four times during Winterlude, including one year where the warmest daily temperature was -15C.

For anyone not familiar, the canal, while impressive, is far from the only sight worth seeing (or participating in); the ice and snow sculptures are extremely impressive. Well worth a visit.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:06 pm
bengland wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:58 pm I have a personal interest in huge negative scores. I once knew what the record was but I've forgotten. If not a new record, this has got to be pretty close.
The record is -$7,400, or -$5,100 predoubled.
The former happened during LeVar Burton's first show as guest host.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:37 pm

At least you did not figure out Canada and then make Toronto or Montreal the capital. ..... Everyone here at the minimum has heard of Ottawa.
Every time this comes up, I chuckle inside at how many viewers probably don't know the Canadian capital.
Nonetheless, I probably would have put Washington D.C. ahead of Ottawa for the odds of having a canal. Isn't Ottawa 2000 kilometers (keeping it Canadian) from any ocean? (it's about 600 km). I'm not wired to associate canals with inland cities. The "French sounding" name didn't scare me off Amsterdam.
Lefty wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:39 pm
I went with Carhenge.
Me too :lol:. My twelvefootcousins from Lincoln were proud of that. I also get the TS on the Missouri River after the two Pavlov misses with Platte River. The state has one river and one tree west of Kearney.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Any game where Gerald Ford is a TS when given Leslie King Jr. does not deserve a winner.

Do not understand the love for Amsterdam in FJ given the French word in the clue. Brussels would seem to be a better wrong answer as at least French is widely spoken there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Jobs+Wozniak!...wait, Washington...blast.
Then I negged with 'correspondent' later, too. Though I'm kinda proud of that neg.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:05 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:04 pm
Not that I know of.
I'm pretty sure I had this in the back of my head with my Amsterdam response:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56054975
Ice skating, canals, world capital? That's enough checked boxes for me!

Though if I remembered this part, I'd hopefully have a different reply:
It was the first time since 2018 that skating there had been possible, reports said.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Only knew it because of research for a previous TD. See Question 3.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Whew! Not the easiest game to watch. FJ was a challenge: world capitals with canals? Amsterdam and Stockholm off the top of my head, but Winterlude is a play on English words and Rideau is French. That led me to Canada and I uncomfortably settled on the correct answer despite not knowing if it had any canals.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought Amsterdam would be pretty iffy, but stuck with it just because of the canal association. How often do the canals actually freeze over there?

I even thought about Quebec for a second, but dismissed it because...well...it's not a capital. For some reason I never got from there to Ottawa, but I probably would have stuck with Amsterdam anyway.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:59 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:39 pm "Cold + French + world capital" should lead to a WECIB response.
More like "winter, which occurs worldwide" + "random-ass word that sounds like it could be from nearly any language"
For someone who incessantly claims to know nothing, you're oddly disposed to making categorical pronouncements. I defy you to find another "random-ass word" that contains "eau" spoken as "o" that isn't French, or an English borrowing from French. (Also, winter doesn't really happen on the equator.)

That said, I considered Ottawa but went for Bern, just because the whole of Switzerland felt more "winter sports"-y than southeast Canada.
davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:37 pm Ottawa was one of the cities that came to mind after the category reveal. Canada came immediately to mind after we saw the clue. I quickly rejected it... :roll:...I don't associate Ottawa with French, perhaps wrongly....
Ottawa is right on a border with Quebec. I've learned this from recent genealogical research:
in rambling detail
My French Canadian great-great-grandfather brought this last name here (for my family, anyway), but I've had trouble connecting him to his parents since I learned their names in 2007. But last year I got a scan of his 1930 obituary that named some surviving Canadian siblings, whom I've been able to connect to the same pair of parents. The obit mentioned Ottawa as where they lived, but they were actually over the border in a city called Hull in Quebec (that has since merged with the city of Gatineau, and is now called a neighborhood or district rather than city). In fact, another sibling died in 1920 from injuries after being hit by an electric streetcar on the interprovincial bridge between Hull and Ottawa.

Incidentally, part of my issue linking my great-great-grandfather to his parents was the fact that he went by a different name here from the one he had in Canada, and I still haven't definitively proven that the two names belonged to the same person. But among his parents' 11 children, I've found Canadian (indeed, Ottawan) newspaper articles about the deaths of six of them, one who's mentioned as a surviving sibling in four of those (from the 1930s into the 1960s), and two whose deaths are mentioned on a genealogical site (one undated, childhood death, one death in 1931), leaving two who seem to be unknown in Canada beyond birth/baptism records. Of those, only the older one has a birthdate that seems compatible with what we know of my great-great-grandfather's American life (the other one would have had to leave the family aged 10 to have come here in 1880 as my ancestor is recorded as having done).
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.