Thursday, November 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS DO’s & DON’Ts

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1964 Berkeley alum Jack Weinberg, age 24, told a San Francisco Chronicle reporter this now-famous "Don’t"

Amy Schneider: 34000+16000=50000 (7x = $257,800)
Nancy Edelman: 1400+1399=2799
Ged Trias: 7000-2800=4200

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Don’t trust anyone over 30”: (Ged – What is don’t?)

Daily Doubles
Ged: 3600-1000
Amy: 10000+4000
Amy: 20000+4000

Coryats
Amy: 28400
Nancy: 1400
Ged: 8000

Combined: 37,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 9200
Nancy: minus 600
Ged: 5400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game aired with no problem and I am happy to be wrong about there not being room for it between the parade and football.

Amy played like Ken Jennings in his run with multiple category runs, DD conversions and a big pay day.

Ken opened with Thanksgiving remarks that included "plentiful" and "harvest".

Before the TOC Amy needs to do some basic studying on U.S. Presidents and she can use the Holzhauer method with 5th grade level. I'll suggest this one:

Reagan's birth state is not the kind of thing that will go 0/3 in the TOC. Or at least should not.

The FJ! category had me stuck for a better precall than 10 Commandments.

The FJ! clue had me take the Hammer with no guess. On stage I would have written "Don't call it Frisco" while at home my pen was lifeless. A FJ! clue lesson I have yet to master is understanding why something is included in the clue. I needed Keifer Sutherland to yell at me to pay more attention to the key portion that would have helped me.

The buzzer was not friendly for Nancy and I lost count of how many different techniques she used. There was an unusual one at the end with arms forward.

For the chats Ken may have to check himself as he may be playing with fire using the Schneider/Ireland line.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done before the 4th quarter: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7200

id=7200 - I'm thankful there are so many games in the archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:59 pm Done before the 4th quarter: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7200

id=7200 - I'm thankful there are so many games in the archive.
I think your shift key had eaten too much turkey in FJ.

I got this one quickly, not a good FJ to figure out at the 27 second mark.

We have had 54 games this season and 50 have involved a future TOC player.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Wikipedia has a link to the San Francisco Chronicle article and the actual quote is "We have a saying in the movement that you can't trust anybody over 30." Famous cans and can'ts.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

cosmos wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:02 pm Wikipedia has a link to the San Francisco Chronicle article and the actual quote is "We have a saying in the movement that you can't trust anybody over 30." Famous cans and can'ts.
It's true that "Don't..." is the familiar phrase, but "you can't" sounds much more like something you'd tell a reporter, while "don't" is advice such as you'd give a friend. It may have felt to the writers like an innocuous improvement on reality, but it makes the clue significantly more difficult, IMO, aside from whatever value one may assign to historical accuracy.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not sure I've ever heard of this phrase, so for the 2nd day in a row, nada.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:42 pm Not sure I've ever heard of this phrase, so for the 2nd day in a row, nada.
I'd first heard the phrase attributed to Abbie Hoffman, but since he was himself over 30 at the time of his reportedly saying it, it seemed problematic.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:roll: :D :D :( on big clues. I took the cynical route and responded What is "Don't let facts get in the way of the story" :twisted:
Beard for goatee seemed to knock Nancy out. :|
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why has FJ! been so obnoxiously difficult of late?
davey

Post by davey »

cosmos wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:02 pm Wikipedia has a link to the San Francisco Chronicle article and the actual quote is "We have a saying in the movement that you can't trust anybody over 30." Famous cans and can'ts.
This makes me feel considerably better about saying Don't trust anybody over 30... No way I was taking the neg on that one anyway...
It does seem like a long time since I've heard this expression, even in its historical context, let alone as advice...
I liked that Ken knew that Paul and Justin Theroux pronounce their name differently (and was surprised that nobody recognized them). I was recently surprised to learn Justin's Thoreauvian way of saying it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My TV receiver has been acting up this week for the first time in quite a while. Usually what happens is that it turns on at the appointed time, then simply doesn't record and stays on, so I keep a tape in the VCR to catch what's coming through; this saved me on Tuesday. Tonight the receiver didn't turn on, so my tape got 29 minutes of nothing. Luckily the episode was easy to find online, but that was where I also encountered the first transphobic comment I've seen about Amy; my only consolation is that the episode will eventually be taken down and the comment will go down with it.

I was prepared to have "don't play leapfrog with a unicorn" as a joke response, but I had the right one soon enough.

I don't like the rendering "do's and don'ts" for that phrase. I understand the need for an apostrophe to distinguish the first word from an operating system or a Spanish number, but I feel for the sake of parallelism that the last word should then be "don't's." But I also understand that two apostrophes in a single word, especially surrounding a single letter, is awkward. I think with the show's generally all-caps format, they'd have done well to have tonight's category as FAMOUS DOs & DON'Ts. Your mileage may vary.

Maybe I still hold a grudge against "don'ts" because I had a book of Jumble puzzles from age 7 and was stumped for years on "What that expensive country club had": "MORE DUES THAN DON'TS" because "she'll" is the only actual ---'-- contraction in English and it makes no sense as the last word of a phrase and there were no L's to work with anyway.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:42 pm Not sure I've ever heard of this phrase, so for the 2nd day in a row, nada.
+1
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Of course, did not get the Mariah Carey song.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:57 am
I don't like the rendering "do's and don'ts" for that phrase. I understand the need for an apostrophe to distinguish the first word from an operating system or a Spanish number, but I feel for the sake of parallelism that the last word should then be "don't's." But I also understand that two apostrophes in a single word, especially surrounding a single letter, is awkward.
You have to pick'n'choose your opportunities carefully.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:44 pm The game aired with no problem and I am happy to be wrong about there not being room for it between the parade and football.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think less than 10% of stations get pre-empted by Thanksgiving and Christmas specials. 10% is a lot of markets, but I think most stations will still operate as usual on those holidays.

I was definitely wrong about FJ. Started with "Don't do drugs" (although the phrase I was thinking of was probably "Say no to drugs"), then I switched to "Don't drink and drive" for lack of a better guess.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Just playing FJ from this daily thread, instaget for this Boomer. It's kind of a tough get for millennials, because it is a pretty deep dive into the 60's movements to learn about this aspect.

It's an interesting clue, and I didn't know the background details, but also thought it was of Abby Hoffman provenance. Now, I'm just pissed that it came from a guy born in 1940, and these are the same octogenarians that WON'T LET GO OF POWER! I guess they indexed it each decade and now it's "don't let anybody under 80 have anything".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:05 pm Just playing FJ from this daily thread, instaget for this Boomer. It's kind of a tough get for millennials,
Yep, that covers everyone!