Friday, November 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 pm I know that lapine = rabbit.

I am familiar with Watership Down.
Both are news to me ;) . Plus two for tph vs. tfb. You gain two to be twelvepoundhammer, I lose two to be tenfootboy :lol:.

FWIW, I know conejo as rabbit. It seems the Spanish word doesn't match the French/ (Latin?). I was treated to a wined rabbit in France by a customer, but don't know the French name for it. I only wish it had tasted like chicken :roll: .

I immediately latched on to the word "lapine" and made it into "alpine", which did me no good. I took it north and guessed "The Polar Express", which I know is a movie about 20 years ago, and possibly could have been spawned by a story for boomer's children. I have barely heard the expression "Watership Down", and assumed it was some late 20th century nautical story/movie akin to "The Perfect Storm".

I was sorry to see the players self-immolate with TDD's. It is some consolation that it wouldn't have won them the game per MB's calculations. Amy has had a good run, but now they've got paid and I'm ready for someone else to win some coin. I wasn't aware of their TG status until today's thread. No reason I should be, except to get my pronouns right I guess 8-) .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

A recent signature addition got me Glastonbury. What happens at Glasto stays at Glasto...

Even if I considered Watership Down... having seen the original animated version, can nightmare fuel really be 'beloved'? (Also saw the Netflix version which has much less nightmare fuel.)
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:02 pm This is the only other hit for "Lapine" in the Archive:
STEVES, STEVIES & STEPHENS $400:

James Lapine & this composer-lyricist shared a drama Pulitzer for "Sunday in the Park with George" in 1985
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=349

#RIP
And another J! curse angle, a composer-lyricist was a contestant.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett" wrote: Ken calling out Chris for being a Brad Rutter sound-alike was funny and not false.
That guy sounded so much like Brad that he even looked a little like him. Seperated at birth?

I picked up the Lorraine Motel and Delorean trash but nothin' doing on LMaD host. I've seen the closing minutes of the show several times while waiting for TPiR to come on but never cared enough about it to learn what the host's name is.

I think Greta may have scored the TDD if she had just taken the extra time to think it over.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Danmel wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 pm
jpr281 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:22 pm WABC joined J! in progress because college football ran long. Then at 7:20 the title intro played but only for a minute only to show the final few clues of DJ!
That was seriously weird.
It became Groundhog Day Jeopardy.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in The Movies.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

It's time for my rant...

I DO NOT understand why people insist on thinking Watership Down is a children's book. It is one of my top ten favorite novels, and I don't at all see it as a children's novel. To me it is an extended meditation on the nature of leadership. Rather than a children's novel, I think it should be required business school reading.
davey

Post by davey »

Foretopman wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:20 pm It's time for my rant...

I DO NOT understand why people insist on thinking Watership Down is a children's book. It is one of my top ten favorite novels, and I don't at all see it as a children's novel. To me it is an extended meditation on the nature of leadership. Rather than a children's novel, I think it should be required business school reading.
Any reason it can't be both? I read it as a child - should I have waited till I went to business school? (I'd still be waiting.) I'm not sure if the class would have endorsed that I wept at the ending.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:15 pm

Any reason it can't be both? I read it as a child - should I have waited till I went to business school? (I'd still be waiting.) I'm not sure if the class would have endorsed that I wept at the ending.
My father told a story where he was in an airport about to embark on a business trip and a colleague wondered about what book to buy to read on the flight. He picked up Watership Down, asking my father if he knew what it was about. "Bunny rabbits". Colleague picked it up without comment, began to read it on the plane, but cast it down angrily after some minutes, saying "it IS about bunny rabbits!"
I'm smart and I want respect.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:48 pm I wasn't aware of their TG status until today's thread. No reason I should be, except to get my pronouns right I guess 8-) .
Amy's preferred pronouns are she/her, so our pronoun use doesn't change.

Based on the roster so far, Amy has to be the second-best player slated for the next ToC. Her DD wagers could be bigger, but I think she's capable of changing that part of her strategy.

I also linked "lapine" to "lupine," so I was only trying to think of wolf, werewolf, and canine-themed children's books from that era. In the end, I had no guess. If I had known lapine = rabbit, I think I would've gotten it.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

Lefty wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:18 pm
davey wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:15 pm

My father told a story where he was in an airport about to embark on a business trip and a colleague wondered about what book to buy to read on the flight. He picked up Watership Down, asking my father if he knew what it was about. "Bunny rabbits". Colleague picked it up without comment, began to read it on the plane, but cast it down angrily after some minutes, saying "it IS about bunny rabbits!"
Omg, that made me laugh out loud
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ken's tie was crooked. Don't they have someone whose job it is to make sure his tie is straight? When Warren Burger was chief justice, he had someone to brush the dandruff off his robe. I used to work for someone who was once the assistant to the dandruff brusher.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
yclept

Post by yclept »

College football games go longer and longer nowadays. ABC NY should have just put this game on an alternate station or overnight. Almost zero chance the football game was going to end by 7. That said, I am glad we saw DJ in its entirely and were able to see the two big moments (the missed DD).

$295,200 through eight shows? Matt was at $291,200 after Game 8. It does take a rocket scientist to proclaim that Amy is a big contender in the next TOC. If they ever do another special past players tournament, this season should be well represented.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 pm I think Greta may have scored the TDD if she had just taken the extra time to think it over.
I was blindsided by that miss, and also by her mispronunciation of "L'histoire française". Ken's French accent is good to passable - give the man the job!

I've always pronounced the "t" in Huguenot, so I was taken aback by Chris's pronunciation, and then by his Charlemagne miss.

How did Amy run 3 categories!? Dayum. I'm impressed she keeps winning with her top-down gameplay and no real DD hunting. It looks like she's a demon on the buzzer thingy

4-letter before and after was fun

Lapine? They jammed all the French material they could into these boards. Surprised by both the publication date (1972) and the "beloved by children" bit. I own the book, never read it, but understand it to be pretty dark/grim
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:03 pm I've always pronounced the "t" in Huguenot, so I was taken aback by Chris's pronunciation, and then by his Charlemagne miss.
It normally is pronounced with the 't'.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:03 pmKen's French accent is good to passable - give the man the job!
Well... let's hear him say genre, Robbie Burns, and Dracula just to make sure.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:43 pm
morbeedo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:03 pmKen's French accent is good to passable - give the man the job!
Yes, but how does he pronounce "microwave"?

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:28 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:43 pm
Yes, but how does he pronounce "microwave"?
Well, if we're going to go down this road..."penguins"?

(Or where he gets utterly -roasted- about it on Graham Norton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHPNKUMf70)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)