Friday, November 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL LANGUAGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Lapine is the name of the language created for this 1972 book beloved by children

Amy Schneider: 23400+14000=37400 (8x = 295,200)
Chris Rayis: 4000+2400=6400
Greta Perel: 3200+3200=6400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Watership Down

Daily Doubles
Greta: 200+1000
Chris: 4000-4000
Greya: 5600-5600

Coryats
Amy: 23400
Chris: 8000
Greta: 8800

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 9000
Chris: 2000
Greta: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you to The Jeopardy Fan for handling theFJguy post today. With a double header of college football on CBS I thought I would not see J! until later today. Fortunately, I struck gold on a YT Hail Mary and I am not too far off a normal schedule.

Amy's opponents lost 9600 between them on DDs in the DJ! round to set up another runaway. Even with solves by the challengers Amy still would have led and won the game to sweep the week.

Ken calling out Chris for being a Brad Rutter sound-alike was funny and not false.

Some nice trash for viewers with the MLK motel, car model scrambled and the host of LMaD.

The FJ! category had me thinking Navi from Avatar, Klingon, Tolkien, Parseltongue, and thinking perhaps Swift came up with something.

The FJ! clue had me staring at a miss as I had nothing better (and not good) than Charlotte's Web which is way off for the book, a year off for the movie and the spider did not have a fictional language anyway.

During think time I was stuck for what "Lapine" might mean and I kept getting distracted by it being a letter off from lupine. With less than 10 seconds to go I finally made a connection to the right animal origin of the name and fortunately knew the work to write. I was very close to a skunk week.

Amy is hitting the big time with even the San Francisco Chronicle taking notice: https://www.sfgate.com/characters/artic ... 649910.php
Golf

Post by Golf »

Why does the first word of the title of that article have to be transgender? Who cares? That’s irrelevant. She’s a Jeopardy champion, that’s all that should matter.

At least the challengers actually tried to win the game today with their DD wagers. Unlike the vast majority of contestants this week that were just happy to be there and didn’t even try.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Golf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:08 pm Why does the first word of the title of that article have to be transgender? Who cares? That’s irrelevant. She’s a Jeopardy champion, that’s all that should matter.

At least the challengers actually tried to win the game today with their DD wagers. Unlike the vast majority of contestants this week that were just happy to be there and didn’t even try.
Because trans people have historically had extremely limited representation on Jeopardy. Amy's only the second trans person to be on the leaderboard, along with Catherine Ramen.

Why does your first sentence have to be complaining about trans people being celebrated for their achievements? Just because her being trans doesn't have anything to do with you at all doesn't mean it's irrelevant information.
Last edited by finishemzoe on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:08 pm Why does the first word of the title of that article have to be transgender? Who cares? That’s irrelevant. She’s a Jeopardy champion, that’s all that should matter.
From the article:

"The handful of trans contestants that had been on before, I had seen them, and it was really meaningful at that time to see trans people succeeding at this thing that I really wanted to succeed at," she said. "What's great is feeling like I'm now providing that same service for other trans people out there."

Representation matters, Golf. There might not have been people who were paying attention, but now get to see this positive representation of a trans person in society. So, I would say it is not irrelevant.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Golf

Post by Golf »

I guess I’m just not a fan of people singled out for being different. And I’m all for people of all differences succeeding in whatever they choose. And when it comes down to it we are all different in various ways.

I would feel the same way if a headline pointed out that ToC champion Colby Burnett is black, or if 20-time champion Julia Collins is a woman, or if Ken Jennings is a Mormon.

But, if Amy is trying to champion transgender women, and specifically wanted that detail focused on, that’s probably the only opinion that should matter.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

Golf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:58 pm I guess I’m just not a fan of people singled out for being different. And I’m all for people of all differences succeeding in whatever they choose. And when it comes down to it we are all different in various ways.

I would feel the same way if a headline pointed out that ToC champion Colby Burnett is black, or if 20-time champion Julia Collins is a woman, or if Ken Jennings is a Mormon.

But, if Amy is trying to champion transgender women, and specifically wanted that detail focused on, that’s probably the only opinion that should matter.
She's pretty open about it on her Twitter, so I imagine she would want that. It does seem kind of patronizing on first glance, but I can assure you the trans community is very excited about it.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Week 11 is in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7201

For the article title linked above it's often not the writer's choice as it's another staffer that comes up with it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This is the only other hit for "Lapine" in the Archive:
STEVES, STEVIES & STEPHENS $400:

James Lapine & this composer-lyricist shared a drama Pulitzer for "Sunday in the Park with George" in 1985
https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=349

#RIP
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The link above was from a publication based in a very LBGTQ-friendly area. I would imagine if she lived in my community an article about her in the local virtual fishwrap would not mention her being transgender. If it did, I would want to have the popcorn concessions for the comment section.

No chance for me on FJ. Put down The Secret Garden just to have something. Thought maybe they had a secret language there. But it was written in 1911, so I was just a few years off.

Amy now has seven straight lock games and nearly $300,000. None of this happens if Andrew He gets his last FJ right. Ah, the fickle finger of fate.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Game's running long, so I'll assume total pre-emption.

I know French for rabbit is lapin, so that makes this pretty easy.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

WABC joined J! in progress because college football ran long. Then at 7:20 the title intro played but only for a minute only to show the final few clues of DJ!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D :mrgreen: on big clues. Pretty easy to figure out that Lapine had to do with rabbits & the date was able to pin it to Watership Down.
Last edited by DBear on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:05 pm Game's running long, so I'll assume total pre-emption.

I know French for rabbit is lapin, so that makes this pretty easy.
Made it ridiculously easy for me as well. "lapine" is from "lapin," which means "rabbit," which leads unerringly to.....The Velveteen Rabbit.

Wait, what? Not right? What the hey!?

OK, off by only 50 years on the date of publication. Or as it has been said, "Missed...by...THAT....much. Sigh.

Meanwhile Greta missed a great opportunity, when interviewed about her cemetery job, to brag that she had a very important job with 5,000 people under her.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know that lapine = rabbit.

I am familiar with Watership Down.

I still had a complete brain lock and couldn't think of ANYTHING AT ALL to put down.

What the hell is wrong with me?!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 pm I know that lapine = rabbit.

I am familiar with Watership Down.

I still had a complete brain lock and couldn't think of ANYTHING AT ALL to put down.

What the hell is wrong with me?!
Dang, I though you had a chance to get that one. Two days left in the month for FJ! clues. Good luck next week.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

The ebb and flow of FJs is such a real thing. I went from having a 20 FJ correct streak to going 0/5 this week.

This show is beautifully humbling.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

jpr281 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:22 pm WABC joined J! in progress because college football ran long. Then at 7:20 the title intro played but only for a minute only to show the final few clues of DJ!
That was seriously weird.