Monday, November 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Monday, November 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

Well, there can be little doubt that Amy is the real deal now. What a bravura performance and she makes it look so effortless. It will be a treat to see her face off against Matt in the TOC. Best of luck tomorrow, MasterCone. You’ve got your work cut out for you.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MasterCone wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:47 pm This was a hell of a game to watch first thing in the morning while awaiting my name being called (after already being told in morning briefing that she was an 8 game winner with 300k and all of the games but one were a runaway). I did not exactly remember or register the exact amount she won because I was trying to strategize how to play against her, but yeah... this was simply a brilliant display.
Retro good luck. Must have been a sad feeling seeing Ken rattle off how dominant she has been and then see it for yourself. Whatever happens, you got further than I ever will.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I'm more often critical than laudatory of the writers, so let me laud them for writing "150th anniversary" and not "150-year anniversary".

I liked Andrea's response of puppets to the puppets clue. Marionettes on strings is redundant, after all.

Never heard of the 1975. On the other hand, I not only have heard of 4 Non-Blondes but I was one of their billion views on youtube.

The clue about Nero's lyre play reminds me of a scene in Quo Vadis where Petronius composes a suicide note where he tells Nero something like, "I forgive you everything but your singing".

Note to self: Adam Levine is not Adam Horovitz, or even Adam Yauch.

If this post were more negative I'd have titled it "A Simple Desultory Philippic", but alas.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:28 pm
Retro good luck. Must have been a sad feeling seeing Ken rattle off how dominant she has been and then see it for yourself. Whatever happens, you got further than I ever will.
Honestly, I largely ignored everything except what I was there to do. I had just the previous day figured out that Matt Amodio had lost (his episodes were still in progress), when I heard that he was live in studio in NY on Good Morning America. I knew from contestant emails that were addressed to both tape days of the week that they were filming that day, so no matter what could be thrown at me seemed better than Matt Amodio at what would have been 74 wins.
cookie
Contributor

Post by cookie »

MasterCone wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:47 pm This was a hell of a game to watch first thing in the morning while awaiting my name being called (after already being told in morning briefing that she was an 8 game winner with 300k and all of the games but one were a runaway). I did not exactly remember or register the exact amount she won because I was trying to strategize how to play against her, but yeah... this was simply a brilliant display.
Congrats on making it on the show and retro good luck! :)
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Got my First Final Right since October 11th. Yikes.

Man, this is gonna be one stacked TOC.

Long Credit Roll.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Go, MasterCone, go! We'll be rooting for you!
yclept

Post by yclept »

Effortless is one way to describe Amy (yes, I realize it takes a lot of effort to make something appear effortless). The TOC is going to be crazy. It is amazing how many of these big champions knocked off other strong champions just to get to get their own runs started.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Got to the FJ solve, but not without worrying it might be Les Misérables, or A Tale of Two Cities, or The Three Musketeers.

Amy is so good. She is going to be a force in the TOC. Anyone trying to beat her has to get the DDs and double up. You could see that happening in this game, https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7201, but the solves weren't there.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Started with Les Miserables but well into the think music I switched to the correct response. Unclear if I would have had time in the studio to write out the whole thing legibly so I'm on the fence about scoring myself on this one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

With this game we have had a Nishanth at each podium.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:20 am With this game we have had a Nishanth at each podium.
Clever. Here was the other, a College Championship player from 2013.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Another Les Mis answer here. :oops:
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:37 pm I didn’t know Ken grew up in Korea. Interesting. Wonder if his parents were LDS missionaries.
Nothing to do (directly) with LDS -- he grew up in Korea because his father was an international lawyer working at a firm there. (He did take relatively frequent trips back to the U.S. to visit relatives and whatnot.)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

For Ken, the plural for Mongoose is Mongooses. :idea:
Douglas Squasoni