Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:48 am
MasterCone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 pmAnd twitter thinks I'm a serial killer on adderall so there's always that!
Oh come on! Adderall? Where do they get this stuff?
Psst! C'mere! Yeah, you. Over here, by the alley. Whatcha need, bird?
cookie
Contributor

Post by cookie »

SBurrus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:43 am So, looking at Pam's picture...is that what new Jeopardy! contestants get as far as pictures go? Instead of posing headshots with the host, they get a long shot of the host and the contestant, surrounding the Jeopardy! sign?
Yep. I taped about a week-ish before Pam did (in late September), and they would have the contestant and host (Mayim, in my case) stand on opposite sides of the Jeopardy! sign. However, even a few tape days before mine (back in late August), they would have the host stand at the podium and the contestant stand near the sign, so I think they did loosen up just a tad on the COVID restrictions.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

yclept wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:21 am I wonder if Pam had any thoughts of going crazy on DD-3. Words that end in EX narrows things down considerably, etc. It had to at least be tempting. Note: I don’t think I’d be able to do it if I was a contestant (which will never happen)
I did for a split second. My thinking however was firstly, hmm this is a weird category for the DD to be in... there must be some trick. Secondly, I did NOT want to fall below half of Amy's score with no DD's left, and similarly, being that there were no DD's left and I to that point felt I was outperforming her on the buzzer I (incorrectly, apparently) thought I could maintain the same ratio til the end.

As for the pics/covid protocols... yeah, they kind of sucked. But I fully appreciate their efforts and care for everyone. It did prevent really getting to know the other contestants though unfortunately. In the lines of spots 6 feet apart during breaks in the back alley you essentially could not interact with the people on the other half of the alley at all.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

I enjoyed this game and the no nonsense approach by MasterCone. I loved the rapid fire selections and answers, I mean this is serious stuff!
Glad you enjoyed the experience and I think you showed enough "personality". I read a comment somewhere relating your game intensity to your profession, somewhat negatively. I have the opposite view and let's leave it at that.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

flemmingfan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:59 pm I enjoyed this game and the no nonsense approach by MasterCone. I loved the rapid fire selections and answers, I mean this is serious stuff!
Glad you enjoyed the experience and I think you showed enough "personality". I read a comment somewhere relating your game intensity to your profession, somewhat negatively. I have the opposite view and let's leave it at that.
In my personal life I am literally the opposite of what you see in anything I do competitively, to the point I have always referred to my competition self as my alter ego. The fact is in real life I’m probably an excessive people-pleaser, who is super emotional and has an anxiety disorder and is afraid of needles herself. Lol. I make no apologies for the “character” I play elsewhere. We all wear different hats in different situations. Also I’m thoroughly used to people announcing they hate me within the first 2 seconds of meeting me professionally so whatever :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MasterCone wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:45 pm
flemmingfan wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:59 pm I enjoyed this game and the no nonsense approach by MasterCone. I loved the rapid fire selections and answers, I mean this is serious stuff!
In my personal life I am literally the opposite of what you see in anything I do competitively, to the point I have always referred to my competition self as my alter ego. The fact is in real life I’m probably an excessive people-pleaser, who is super emotional and has an anxiety disorder and is afraid of needles herself. Lol. I make no apologies for the “character” I play elsewhere. We all wear different hats in different situations. Also I’m thoroughly used to people announcing they hate me within the first 2 seconds of meeting me professionally so whatever :lol:
I thought you were a dentist? I don't think I'd announce to my dentist that I hate them at the beginning of an appointment. I'm afraid they'd go all Marathon Man on me.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:09 pm
I thought you were a dentist? I don't think I'd announce to my dentist that I hate them at the beginning of an appointment. I'm afraid they'd go all Marathon Man on me.
This happens ALL. THE. TIME. “Nice to meet you, no offense but I hate you.” “I hate all dentists.” “I’d rather give birth with no drugs than have to be here with you.” You get the gist.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:18 am This Final Jeopardy! was straight out of Ken's trivia podcast "Omnibus" -- there was an episode about sister cities back in 2020. (Link)
I'm still going through the back-catalog; I'm 29 episodes away from that one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:09 pm
MasterCone wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:45 pm
Rabid anti-dentites!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:48 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:09 pm I thought you were a dentist? I don't think I'd announce to my dentist that I hate them at the beginning of an appointment. I'm afraid they'd go all Marathon Man on me.
Rabid anti-dentites!
Next thing you know they'll be saying they should have their own schools!
They DO have their own schools!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 pm Thanks for the kind words, all! It was the ride of a lifetime. And twitter thinks I'm a serial killer on adderall so there's always that! I do wish I had the chance to show some more personality, but the fact is I knew I was up against a superchampion, and there was no room for kicking back. No regrets.

Also my grandma would have totally pronounced it "squorsh."
I've enjoyed Amy's run but had been wanting to see her get some major competition, and in the first two minutes you showed you were the serious competition we were looking for -- while displaying plenty of personality.

Most of us on the board appreciate contestants who play the game seriously with the intent to win. Plenty of time for "kicking back" during commercials and the chat segment, but your focus was exactly as it should have been.

It's unfortunate that luck of the draw put you up against Amy, but you had a heckuvan impressive outing.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ditto the above sentiments. Amy makes it hard for challengers to come out swinging, but you showed what it looks like and must have had her at least a little worried...
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Question, board: Regarding the $800 clue in ENDS IN EX, shouldn't Amy have been negged for responding with "perplexed"? It's not a 7-letter word, nor does it end in "ex." The closed-captioner also heard her say "perplexed." Given where this occurred in the round, in a very competitive match, a negative ruling could very well have changed the complexion of the game.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:44 am Question, board: Regarding the $800 clue in ENDS IN EX, shouldn't Amy have been negged for responding with "perplexed"? It's not a 7-letter word, nor does it end in "ex." The closed-captioner also heard her say "perplexed." Given where this occurred in the round, in a very competitive match, a negative ruling could very well have changed the complexion of the game.
If she did say that, then yeah. It doesn't sound to me as if she did, though.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:52 am
cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:44 am Question, board: Regarding the $800 clue in ENDS IN EX, shouldn't Amy have been negged for responding with "perplexed"? It's not a 7-letter word, nor does it end in "ex." The closed-captioner also heard her say "perplexed." Given where this occurred in the round, in a very competitive match, a negative ruling could very well have changed the complexion of the game.
If she did say that, then yeah. It doesn't sound to me as if she did, though.
She didn't.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's the clip for those who want to check it again:

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Sounds like she said "perplecks", which is not 7 letters and does not end in -ex
davey

Post by davey »

The only ambiguity I detect is that she elongates the s sound a bit so that it almost sounds like a new syllable. But it's not.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 am The only ambiguity I detect is that she elongates the s sound a bit so that it almost sounds like a new syllable. But it's not.
Agreed. To me it becomes a little more ambiguous when I watch her say it, but I can't point to any specifics that make me feel that way. And in any event I have no trouble with giving her the points. Had she been negged, I'd have felt pretty... perplex.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

I did not at the time, nor do I now hear anything wrong with it.