Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL FRIENDSHIP

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The organization these International was founded in 1956; they’re partnerstädte in Germany & villes jumelées in France

Amy Schneider: 25000+13000=38000 (10x = $380,200)
Pam Schoenberg: 16600-300=16300
Krys Fischer: 5400+3000=8400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sister Cities (Pam - What)

Daily Doubles
Pam: 2600+2600
Amy: 7400+6000
Pam: 16000-3000

Coryats
Amy: 19800
Pam: 18000
Krys: 5400

Combined: 43,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 3800
Pam: 11200
Krys: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pam won the J! round with 7800-1600-1600 after the 1st segment and up to 11200 when the round ended. Great playing, Pam, to put Amy on notice that she was in for a match.

Amy won the more important DJ! and FJ! rounds to hit double digits as Ken noted. Out after 9 wins were Buzzy, Jason Keller and Dan Pawson, so Amy is passing heavy hitters.

Alex would have loved Krys's pronunciation on the detective clue and Ken showed appreciation as well.

The FJ! clue had me clueless and I wrote Amnesty to have something to go with International. My French/German translating was not working to give me any hints though even if I had been spotted the 2nd word I might have still missed it.

Nice by Krys and Amy to make the clue go 66%.

Archive note: Player pics are working, not that I had anything to do with it. I have no idea how back it goes, though did see it for some S37 as well.

There will be another Overheard video for today's game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SOUNDS SERIOUS $400: Cutis anserina is nothing to worry about; it's just this "fowl" reaction to cold or fear

Amy was negged for chicken skin. Google turns it up. Bad judging? Nothing in the category or clue seems to limit it to what was rebounded (my response) correctly. Didn't matter in the end, though surprised by it.
cookie
Contributor

Post by cookie »

Ooh, this looks like a really competitive match. (I unfortunately won't be able to watch this when it airs live and I got really excited, so I took a peek.) Great job Pam on really bringing the heat, especially in the J! round.

FJ was tricky for me, in the sense that I came up with "twin cities" instead of sister cities. I associated "jum-" in French with jumeaux (twins) and jumeler (to pair up).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In retrospect this Final should have been an instaget from "städte" or "villes" in the clue, but instead I fumbled around for 15 seconds or so wracking my brain for organizations with the word "International" as the last word of their names, like "Amnesty International" and "Oxfam International" before the lightbulb went off.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:58 pm SOUNDS SERIOUS $400: Cutis anserina is nothing to worry about; it's just this "fowl" reaction to cold or fear

Amy was negged for chicken skin. Google turns it up. Bad judging? Nothing in the category or clue seems to limit it to what was rebounded (my response) correctly. Didn't matter in the end, though surprised by it.
Insider info - there was a good 5+ minute “time out” while they researched this answer. I picked up the rebound, picked next clue, and then heard “stop stop stop tape” and proceeded to have a delightful chat with Corina and my fellow contestants while facing the wall. We were then informed that chicken skin was another condition and was correctly negged (I was fairly certain this would be the case since I have a medical degree), and that since the next clue had been revealed (I had not noticed this at all), it would be replaced, the audio rewound and played back and then a new clue would appear and we would play on.

Chicken skin is Keratosis Pilaris and has no relation to cold
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'd NHO "chicken skin" and was a bit surprised by Ken's seeming hesitance to rule against the answer. Makes sense now.
MrBluebird
Contributor

Post by MrBluebird »

Thank you MasterCone for sharing this. How long does a day's taping really take? We see 17 minutes of gameplay, but clearly sometimes there is more involved.
Also, how did you keep your head in the game during this delay?

Mike
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

MrBluebird wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:20 pm Thank you MasterCone for sharing this. How long does a day's taping really take? We see 17 minutes of gameplay, but clearly sometimes there is more involved.
Also, how did you keep your head in the game during this delay?

Mike
The entire episode as filmed is barely more time than you see on tv. The “commercial breaks” are filled with photo taking, and sometimes a few pick-ups by the host to re-record clue readings that were slightly flubbed and the like.

I treated nearly the entire tape day like I was about to play a big squash match, because that’s how I could best equate the situation to what my mind and body needs to feel like in a competitive setting.

During this particular delay since I was in the lead at the time, I envisioned it as the 90 second break between games when I had just won the 1st game. I literally stretched out, moved my body a lot to stay physically loose (I’m fairly certain all my fellow tape day contestants thought I was manic, which also included doing push-ups in the Wheel studio during breaks), and re-ran through my overall game strategy just like I would in a match.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:58 pm SOUNDS SERIOUS $400: Cutis anserina is nothing to worry about; it's just this "fowl" reaction to cold or fear

Insider info - there was a good 5+ minute “time out” while they researched this answer. I picked up the rebound, picked next clue, and then heard “stop stop stop tape” and proceeded to have a delightful chat with Corina and my fellow contestants while facing the wall. We were then informed that chicken skin was another condition and was correctly negged (I was fairly certain this would be the case since I have a medical degree), and that since the next clue had been revealed (I had not noticed this at all), it would be replaced, the audio rewound and played back and then a new clue would appear and we would play on.

Chicken skin is Keratosis Pilaris and has no relation to cold
That was an amazing game you played, it's a shame you ended up against one of the best all-time.

This season of giants is making me glad I haven't been called :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thank you for the clarification and insight about chicken skin, Pam.

The game is in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7203

How much do the writers love DJ! 23? 7th clue in calendar year 2021 with time for another clue. Or two.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Good showing Pam
As someone who dabbled in squash, that's impressive.

How badly were you shutout in DJ? Or was it categories? I don't like name multiple things in DD questions. No wonder I matched your response.

All I had was PenPal International for FJ based mostly on category. Should have paid more attention to the clue. Not sure it would have helped.

Lately some FJ clues that are tough for me.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:53 pm Good showing Pam
As someone who dabbled in squash, that's impressive.

How badly were you shutout in DJ? Or was it categories? I don't like name multiple things in DD questions. No wonder I matched your response.
Half way through DJ was a fine time for Krys to finally get a handle on buzzer timing lol. All the clues she answered I knew and missed the buzzer except the Brewster Place one (I was way slow on the horses though), and nearly all of the ones Amy got I was buzzing too. I was particularly aggravated by the Felicity one because I loved that show so much.

Also still irritated by the Beauregard clue where I had literally just seen that exact photo the previous week when I forced my brother who is a supreme US history savant to help me study the civil war. I sent him the photo with no context whatsoever right after leaving the studio and he immediately identified him :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Three rooting interests today. A superchamp, a boardie, and someone older than me.

Great job, Pam. You didn’t seem fazed at all by a nine-day champ as you blew through the first round like Sherman through Georgia. (Keeping with the Civil War theme). I also had “apex and I don’t know” for the DD.

Did you get much chance to talk to Amy and Krys?

Like Ken, I liked Krys’ pronunciation of Hercule Poirot and was charmed by the FJ category. But I wasn’t charmed by FJ itself. Best I could do was hostels. Don’t think I have ever heard of that organization.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Amy is a machine, but Pam, you did the board proud. You could tell you had a gameplan and the composure to match. Wouldn’t want to play you on the court, either. Job well done.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 pm Don’t think I have ever heard of that organization.
Nor I.

Again, I miss the obvious. I had "cities" from villes and -städte, but didn't make the connection with partner-

Fantastic game, Pam. You went all-in in the first round, as you should have. I probably would have went all-in in DJ, too, but I'm glad you didn't. Still, well done!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I don't want to talk about it.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Sitting on my couch at home with my feet up on the coffee table, I came up with the right word to pair with apex just in the nick of time. Would I have gotten it on the set? Probably not.