Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MasterCone »

Thanks for the kind words, all! It was the ride of a lifetime. And twitter thinks I'm a serial killer on adderall so there's always that! I do wish I had the chance to show some more personality, but the fact is I knew I was up against a superchampion, and there was no room for kicking back. No regrets.

Also my grandma would have totally pronounced it "squorsh."
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 pm Thanks for the kind words, all! It was the ride of a lifetime. And twitter thinks I'm a serial killer on adderall so there's always that! I do wish I had the chance to show some more personality, but the fact is I knew I was up against a superchampion, and there was no room for kicking back. No regrets.

Also my grandma would have totally pronounced it "squorsh."
On primetimer: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/121 ... /#comments

There are some nice comments mixed with the typical of the place not so nice ones.
RobMed
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by RobMed »

I was surprised Amy bet more on Final Jeopardy than $8,201, which is all she needed to bet to guarantee a win if she answered correctly,
and it turned out she still would have won if she missed the final question.
Amy betting $13,000 meant that Pam would have won had Amy gotten the Final Jeopardy question wrong.

Final Scores:
Amy Schneider: 25000+13000=38000
Pam Schoenberg: 16600-300=16300
Krys Fischer: 5400+3000=8400
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 pm Thanks for the kind words, all! It was the ride of a lifetime. And twitter thinks I'm a serial killer on adderall so there's always that! I do wish I had the chance to show some more personality, but the fact is I knew I was up against a superchampion, and there was no room for kicking back. No regrets.
You came to play and it showed! Very exciting game. I've been enjoying watching Amy's run, but I loved seeing someone step up and give her a big time challenge. Well done!

When did this tape?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Excellent showing, MasterCone!

I put Junior Chamber of Commerce on FJ! just to have something.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:56 pm When did this tape?
MasterCone had said that one of last week's games taped on October 4, so I'd wager that this week taped on October 5. (Tried and failed to make a ninja edit that turned out to be completely superfluous!)
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:56 pm

When did this tape?
Oct. 5th
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:There will be another Overheard video for today's game.
Amy had a crush wagering situation over Pam in FJ, yet she talked as though she thought it would be a tie if she made the minimum cover bet. Am I missing something here? She had a $199 cushion to win, if Pam wagered zero and Amy dropped 8201. Amy clearly overwagered. She likes round numbers, so I believe an opponant could seriously disrupt her game by wagering random amounts not ending in zero on the DDs (As James Holzhauer did).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Final Jeopardy! was straight out of Ken's trivia podcast "Omnibus" -- there was an episode about sister cities back in 2020. (Link)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a couple clues in TV, unsurprisingly.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

MasterCone, you did a fantastic job. We all had high expectations.
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Nice going, MC. Too bad things didn't break a bit differently, but at least you left no rounds in the chamber. I haven't seen much of the public reaction but speaking for me, I want to see blood and guts on the stage and the three of you left us plenty to savor.

I wonder if they'd have used such a goody-good FJ category were three men playing. "Sister cities" has come up in FJ, but I wasn't ready for it as the answer. It's potentially a fun topic, but from what I glean, there isn't a canonical list. I don't think I'd never heard of this organization.

I feel I should have had Pomona; I knew she was the "Roman goddess of fruitful abundance" in the fountain by the Plaza hotel, but I haven't been by it in a while.

I couldn't think of a female swimmer who was big in 1964. Oops.

I did get apex and vertex. And Brewster Place, because the movie made the cover of the TV section when that was still a part of the Sunday NY Times. The Civil War is wheelhouse so yeah, that.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My first thought on FJ was pen pals, but closer examination of the foreign parts of the clue took me in the right direction.

I kind of wanted to see Amy punished for not going all in on the DD; perhaps the extra $1,400 would have prevented the potentially crush-squandering FJ wager.

For a while, everyone whose regular-game earnings went beyond five digits finished with a total beginning with 1, then Ken had a total beginning with 2. A year later David Madden's run gave us a 4, and it was all 1s, 2s, and 4s until Jason Zuffranieri put 5 in the mix. All this to say that if Amy loses tomorrow, she will fill in the 3 as well as the "exactly 10 wins" gap.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I wonder if Pam had any thoughts of going crazy on DD-3. Words that end in EX narrows things down considerably, etc. It had to at least be tempting. Note: I don’t think I’d be able to do it if I was a contestant (which will never happen)

It is always intriguing to see how a super champ does when someone comes at them hard. Amy responded quite well.

Oh, and kudos to Krys. Up until missing a $2,000 clue late, she was within range where she could have turned a sole get into a win. It can’t be easy going up against one of the best players in the history of the show and a challenger who had such a laser focus to dethrone her.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Damn damn damn. You went in there locked and loaded, Pam, and I was sure we were going to have a giant killer on Board. I can't remember someone coming out of the gate as focused as you were. I'm glad you enjoyed the experience, and sorry it didn't work out better for you. You seemed to have lost your buzzer mojo in DJ, alas.

That was the kind of FJ I like -- one that you have to figure out from the TOM sprinkled in. It took me a few seconds, but I got it.

Count me as another one who got apex but not vertex.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

So, looking at Pam's picture...is that what new Jeopardy! contestants get as far as pictures go? Instead of posing headshots with the host, they get a long shot of the host and the contestant, surrounding the Jeopardy! sign?

I guess I can understand that. Alex was a legend. Ken is a legend, too...but not in the same way.

Pam really did bring her "A" game to this match, dominating the J! round. She had Amy completely flummoxed and easily gained control of the buzzer.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:52 am
Count me as another one who got apex but not vertex.
I got vertex, but not apex.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

SBurrus wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:43 am So, looking at Pam's picture...is that what new Jeopardy! contestants get as far as pictures go? Instead of posing headshots with the host, they get a long shot of the host and the contestant, surrounding the Jeopardy! sign? I guess I can understand that. Alex was a legend. Ken is a legend, too...but not in the same way.
This started as part of the COVID social distancing protocol and has nothing to do with the host change. A lot of contestants have their picture with Alex taken at a distance as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:38 pmIt's a bummer that a question referencing cones had to be the pivot point for the Master of Cones :roll:
I totally missed that! Reminds me of the time "wheelhouse" was a triple stumper in one of Alex Jacob's games.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:42 pmAnd twitter thinks I'm a serial killer on adderall so there's always that!
Oh come on! Adderall? Where do they get this stuff?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:18 am This Final Jeopardy! was straight out of Ken's trivia podcast "Omnibus" -- there was an episode about sister cities back in 2020. (Link)
Sister Cities also get alluded to regularly in clues and have had whole categories devoted to them. Anyone who has watched Jeopardy! over the last 5 or more years has encountered the term and the concept several times.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Lefty wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:09 am
I couldn't think of a female swimmer who was big in 1964. Oops.
I made the same mistake :roll: