Thursday, December 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
JOURNALISTS IN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Bismarck Tribune correspondent Mark Kellogg died June 25, 1876 while on a field assignment covering this man

Amy Schneider: 36800+25000=61800 (12x = $483,000)
Sinnott Martin: 4800+4000=8800
Jessica Morgan: 3000-1900=1100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Custer (Jessica – Who is?)

Daily Doubles
Amy: 1600+1600
Sinnott: 4400-4400
Amy: 19400+9000

Coryats
Amy: 28800
Sinnott: 9200
Jessica: 3000

Combined: 41,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 7800
Sinnott: 3200
Jessica: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Whew! J1 is still alive.

That Krewe of Thoth that Sinnott mentioned was fun to see on a Google search. Ken ended that chat segment with his on point brand of humor.

Jessica mentioned her writing and fashion reporting work. Too bad the chat did not work out to allow her to say Go Fug Yourself on TV.

The FJ! category had me expecting Stanley or Bly though I added Woodward & Bernstein then Ernie Pyle to complete my precall list.

The FJ! clue had me know what to do with 1876 to match Amy and Sinnott. Can we make it through the day without any Hickok guesses?

Amy's total is now one on the nose with 483,000 and nothing in the hundreds column for Johnny to say tomorrow.

Those were big moves on wagering clues for Amy today and if floridagator want to call hubris on DD3 with 9000 of 19400 with 2nd at 3800 then that will be closer than previous times the term has been used. A miss by Amy and a get by Sinnott on the next clue would suddenly have a sure win a lot more interesting even though Amy would still win by the end of things.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 pm The FJ! category had me expecting Stanley
For the second day in a row I went with something you discarded on your precall list, saying Livingstone, and for the second day in a row, my response was off by only minus a few years from the year mentioned in the clue (here, 1871 versus 1876). For anyone who had the dates (or even just the year) of the Battle of the Little Bighorn memorized, this Final would probably be a slam dunk. I failed to appreciate that the "Bismarck" in the clue referred to the city in what is now North Dakota and presumed it was a paper for German-language readers either in the Eastern U.S. or in Germany. But I'm not sure it would have helped since I do not associate the Battle of the Little Bighorn with North Dakota. The battle site is on a reservation in southern Montana.
Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner »

Among those who've won more than 10 games, only James Holzhauer has a higher per-game average score than Amy's $40,500 at this point. She is truly a force of nature, just quietly and calmly forging ahead day after day. VERY impressive, I must say.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7205

Anyone have easy tips for whether the words in FROM THE GREEK get italics or not? Too many style rules for me to keep track of everything when archiving.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:18 pm Done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7205

Anyone have easy tips for whether the words in FROM THE GREEK get italics or not? Too many style rules for me to keep track of everything when archiving.
In this case, no italics, as they're all words that have been fully assimilated into English (hence "from the Greek", rather than just "Greek"). Sorry your coin flip landed the wrong way. I will go in and save you the edit work.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:18 pm Done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7205

In this case, no italics, as they're all words that have been fully assimilated into English (hence "from the Greek", rather than just "Greek"). Sorry your coin flip landed the wrong way. I will go in and save you the edit work.
Much obliged.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Amy is so good on buzzer and word play categories.

Bismark + 1876 - an instaget. J! loves the guy and I have seen enough of J!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:? (no idea) :( (Uzbekistan) :D :mrgreen: on big clues. Followed the breadcrumbs to Custer.
Never heard of Basquiat. :|
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Amy... She's kinda good at this game, isn't she? :)

FJ: I knew the decade of Custer's Last Stand, and that was good enough for a quick get.

Two rulings I wish went differently. Jessica pronounced it "unk-CHUSS" but unctuous has three syllables. And I would've preferred if Ken had said, "No" to Sinnott's "Venus" instead of "Venus de Milo." As someone here once said, BMS and "I need more" should be used only rarely. If the response is incomplete, and when in doubt, the host should simply say, "No."

Amy's "Wilson" for Rebel Wilson is fine to me. This precedent started in Alex's final two or three years. I didn't like it when he let common last names slide without a BMS, but this is at least consistent with how they've been ruling since shortly before Alex died.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 pm unctuous has three syllables
M-W has two two-syllable variants. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unctuous
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:00 pm But I'm not sure it would have helped since I do not associate the Battle of the Little Bighorn with North Dakota. The battle site is on a reservation in southern Montana.
I thought about that, but the "on assignment" made me think he had went somewhere else, so the date and proximity made it fit.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Lach Trash: Alex Borstein, "Ave Maria"; Daily Double: Ukraine

I saw 1876 and thought of Wild Bill Hickok, but the full date put me in the right direction.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

On POP CULTURE-POURRI $1,200:

"Hmm...that's pretty recent, interesting."

(later...)

"Wait, she turns 40 TODAY? This is why Jeopardy writers win awards."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Who would be a third for a pink-off?
Spoiler
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 pm Two rulings I wish went differently. Jessica pronounced it "unk-CHUSS" but unctuous has three syllables.
We're overdrawn on U's from people mispronouncing "nuptial"; we've got to make cutbacks somewhere!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:37 pm And I would've preferred if Ken had said, "No" to Sinnott's "Venus" instead of "Venus de Milo." As someone here once said, BMS and "I need more" should be used only rarely. If the response is incomplete, and when in doubt, the host should simply say, "No."
They included "of Melos" in the clue though so adding "de Milo" is just being redundant.
DBear wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:29 pm Never heard of Basquiat. :|
I see you're not a Luke Cage (NetFlix) fan or LL player
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)