New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kablamfan11
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by kablamfan11 »

Less than 500 clues away from 390,000.
Last edited by kablamfan11 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

culxnthusst03 has posted the September 28, 1995 (Linda Roberts game 4) episode on archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/@culxnthusst03
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:16 pm 9/11/95 is now filled in:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6594
Don’t do this. I’ll announce when I’ve completed games.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:44 pm
kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:16 pm 9/11/95 is now filled in:
Don’t do this. I’ll announce when I’ve completed games.
Fixed up my post.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

The 9/29/95 episode is now up on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19950929
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And Monday, September 11, 1995 is complete, Barbara Robson vs, Jack Honig vs. Lynn Hooker. Quite a bit of difficulty getting this one finished as the sound on the video was low, and the speakers at work were awful. But it's done now, and I've tidied up a few loose ends here at home. This is one of those early 90s games I love so much that are just full of good stuff. A few quick comments:

It's too bad I didn't get this entered early enough that Charles and Ken from that sample episode of Master Minds on YouTube could see it. TRAVEL & TOURISM for $500 would have helped them on their last question.

OPERA in DJ! introduces a couple of new composers to the J-Archive in clues, albeit incidentally. The Kreutzer in the $200 clue is Conradin Kreutzer, and is not the Kreutzer of Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata. (That's Rodolphe Kreutzer.) Carlo Gozzi has appeared a couple of times before; one of his plays also inspired "Turandot".

Here are the images from the Video Daily Double that ended the game.
Spoiler

I saved them as jpg's, but Imgur converted them to png's.

Clue of the game will be CORRUPTED WORDS for $600:
A Ragman Roll, an old catalog, became this word for nonsense or a list of petty procedures
Spoiler
What is rigmarole?
Have a good day.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:39 pm http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6594

And Monday, September 11, 1995 is complete, Barbara Robson vs, Jack Honig vs. Lynn Hooker. Quite a bit of difficulty getting this one finished as the sound on the video was low, and the speakers at work were awful. But it's done now, and I've tidied up a few loose ends here at home. This is one of those early 90s games I love so much that are just full of good stuff. A few quick comments:

It's too bad I didn't get this entered early enough that Charles and Ken from that sample episode of Master Minds on YouTube could see it. TRAVEL & TOURISM for $500 would have helped them on their last question.

OPERA in DJ! introduces a couple of new composers to the J-Archive in clues, albeit incidentally. The Kreutzer in the $200 clue is Conradin Kreutzer, and is not the Kreutzer of Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata. (That's Rodolphe Kreutzer.) Carlo Gozzi has appeared a couple of times before; one of his plays also inspired "Turandot".

Here are the images from the Video Daily Double that ended the game.
Spoiler

I saved them as jpg's, but Imgur converted them to png's.

Clue of the game will be CORRUPTED WORDS for $600:
A Ragman Roll, an old catalog, became this word for nonsense or a list of petty procedures
Spoiler
What is rigmarole?
Have a good day.
I got the first DD correct.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

The 10/2/95 episode is now up on the Internet Archive:
https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19951002
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:47 pm Less card-worthy is IN THE NEWS for $300:
Mary Xinh Nguyen won this company's "Unforgettable Woman of 1989" grand prize
Spoiler
What is Revlon? (in conjunction with their "Unforgettable" perfume line, it seems. A google search for the name brings up the award as her major accomplishment. She practices law now.
I misread "company's" as "country's" and confidently guessed Vietnam. :lol:
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

culxnthusst03 has posted the October 3, 1995 (Gordon Wean game 3) episode on archive.org:

Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

October 4, 1995 should be available soon at archive.org. When I looked it had a message that it was being modified/updated.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Lore wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:40 pm October 4, 1995 should be available soon at archive.org. When I looked it had a message that it was being modified/updated.
It's on archive.org now. https://archive.org/details/jeopardy_19951004
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

culxnthusst03 has posted the October 5, 1995 (Gordon Wean game 5) episode on archive.org:

whltquan
Contributor

Post by whltquan »

Thanks for posting the games from Sept. 25-Oct.6. Some of these games did not air on KGO during their original broadcast run due to preemptions from MNF, the OJ Simpson Trial, and saturday college football, which prevented J! from starting at 7 pm on KGO if a college football game ran past 7, and there was a game on Sept. 30 that started at 4 pm PT , and I think ran over past 7, thus putting the Sept. 29 J! episode, that was on a one-day delay on KGO, in JIP mode.

Also the October 5 and 6 J! episodes were preempted on KGO due to the baseball playoffs, which IMHO did go past three hours on both days. Luckily, I was able to see those episodes on KSBW through an over-the-air antenna on my small color television.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:05 pm culxnthusst03 has posted the October 5, 1995 (Gordon Wean game 5) episode on archive.org:

With scores 9300 (Gordon)-6000 (Patrick)-4800 (Brenda), Gordon's $1000 DD wager at the end was terrible.

If he wanted to protect a crush, he should have bet $299 or less.

If he was going to bet more than that, it would have made more sense to bet $2,701-3,299, which would have locked the game on a get, but still retained the lead on a miss.

Even with $1,501, he could have locked Patrick out, since it would have made the difference between Gordon and Brenda higher than patrick's score.

But, no he bet $1,000 and got it right, keeping the crush, but also keeping Patrick in.

Then, only Patrick got FJ right and he wagered enough to pull out a very lucky victory.

Sometimes, bad wagers make for very amusing endings.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mjhunt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:37 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:05 pm culxnthusst03 has posted the October 5, 1995 (Gordon Wean game 5) episode on archive.org:

With scores 9300 (Gordon)-6000 (Patrick)-4800 (Brenda), Gordon's $1000 DD wager at the end was terrible.

If he was going to bet more than that, it would have made more sense to bet $2,701-3,299, which would have locked the game on a get, but still retained the lead on a miss.

Even with $1,501, he could have locked Patrick out, since it would have made the difference between Gordon and Brenda higher than patrick's score.

But, no he bet $1,000 and got it right, keeping the crush, but also keeping Patrick in.

Then, only Patrick got FJ right and he wagered enough to pull out a very lucky victory.

Mark Barrett for the defense. Exhibit A. The video. Feel free to use the full screen.

Gordon had 10300 and bet 1701 in trying for 12001 to be a buck past Brenda doubling. Since it was Gordon's game 5 that is bad karma not to give Brenda the chance at the tie title and opportunity to return? Gordon did nothing wrong other than being a dude who could not solve a sports clue. It only cost him a spot in the UToC as he did make the semis of his ToC.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

whltquan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:52 pm Thanks for posting the games from Sept. 25-Oct.6. Some of these games did not air on KGO during their original broadcast run due to preemptions from MNF, the OJ Simpson Trial, and saturday college football, which prevented J! from starting at 7 pm on KGO if a college football game ran past 7, and there was a game on Sept. 30 that started at 4 pm PT , and I think ran over past 7, thus putting the Sept. 29 J! episode, that was on a one-day delay on KGO, in JIP mode.

Also the October 5 and 6 J! episodes were preempted on KGO due to the baseball playoffs, which IMHO did go past three hours on both days. Luckily, I was able to see those episodes on KSBW through an over-the-air antenna on my small color television.
KSBW-TV is my station as well.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:16 am
mjhunt wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:37 pm

Mark Barrett for the defense. Exhibit A. The video. Feel free to use the full screen.

Gordon had 10300 and bet 1701 in trying for 12001 to be a buck past Brenda doubling. Since it was Gordon's game 5 that is bad karma not to give Brenda the chance at the tie title and opportunity to return? Gordon did nothing wrong other than being a dude who could not solve a sports clue. It only cost him a spot in the UToC as he did make the semis of his ToC.
Well, the ultimate gift to Brenda could have been wagering exactly $2,700. It would have won him $12,000 extra dollars, while making it especially likely that she would have bet it all for the tie and not held back $100.

She missed and would have finished 3rd anyway, but it could have been the ultimate gift.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

J! was pre-empted on KSBW-TV back on 10/24/95 because of Game 3 of the 1995 World Series. It started at 5:20PM Pacific Time. The game went into 11 innings & the Indians would win Game 3.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

culxnthusst03's videos are all taken down on Archive.org. Lucky for me, I was able to save all the September 1995 episodes.