New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:43 pm I added 5/26/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6814
I bet Mike replayed his DD wager in his head for a while after that game.

In DJ28, Carlos Castaneda's last name is misspelled. In DJ30, "for him" has the space in the wrong place.
Fixed and fixed. Thank you.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:43 pm alietr: As the guy who could not dig up Dot Richardson in time on stage I completely understand about the $1000 clue name you mention. If the clue had been reversed do you recall the American? Imagine if Mary (of many names) had such a reaction in this age of viral news if she had trouble with the heat back then.
Hard to say now. I may have dredged it up if I was looking for it, but now that I've seen it for the first time in many years, I can't definitively state that I would have been able to. There's a lot of names in there, but accessing them (let alone under time pressure) isn't always easy to do. Part of the reason I let LL questions sit for a while; sometimes the 'aha' moment just comes unprompted after a while.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 9/5/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6815

Player pics of Carol Ann Hilton, Bill Vanko and Mark Temares:
Spoiler
Only a couple of TS clues though way too many negs. Sometimes viewers may not be satisfied that the best or right player won the game. There is no arguing with the results from this game.

Thanks again to kingskip for these 5 regular play games added this week. If 9/8/95 ever turns up that would give S12 a nice opening stretch of five complete weeks.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:11 am I added 9/5/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6815
J22 Erratum: Pennsylwsnia does not have a seat in the House of Representatives.
DJ21 Erratum: unless G!ovanni de Dolci really spelled his name with an exclamation point

Like two of the contestants, I went the wrong way on FJ. I did consider the correct response, and I did feel the 1879 birth year was a bit old for the one I stuck with (10 years too old, it turns out). Oh well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:11 am I added 9/5/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6815
DJ21 Erratum: unless G!ovanni de Dolci really spelled his name with an exclamation point

Like two of the contestants, I went the wrong way on FJ. I did consider the correct response, and I did feel the 1879 birth year was a bit old for the one I stuck with (10 years too old, it turns out). Oh well.
Looks like someone already cleaned house for me. Thank you and thank you.

I added 12/13/84: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6816

Player pics of Ed Sample, Faryl Reingold, and Ric Moser:
Spoiler

Warning: If like me you try to check Google for a possible "Ed Sample" hit you may not get what you're looking for. I'm fairly confident I'm in the ballpark for his name and quite certain for Faryl Reingold.

When working on various tapes for the long credits brigade I was reminded by green box colors unusual on my shelves that I had some tapes I acquired many years ago through VHS for VHS game show trades. One tape had a bunch of S1 games.

All of the games were already in the archive except this one that had been sitting in my collection without my recalling it since probably before I started archiving games.

All of the clues are there except for one little problem as the recording went from the last clue of the first segment to the FJ! round before the J! round clue could fully zoom or play out. I know Ric got it correct based on scores after chat. I just can’t make out the wording.

Here it is if anyone has those kind of fictitious skills from TV/movies were a blurry license plate suddenly becomes crystal clear from 100 yards away off a street cam.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CXubb- ... sp=sharing

Yup, that was a typical S1 game.

At this point unless I discover other games in my collection or other episodes turn up through sharing routes with uploads, I do not have anymore games to archive.

Through PMs I have been given a couple of leads to some on the trading circuit that may or may not be active and who could have games missing from the archive. I will share good news when and if I can.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Looks like someone already cleaned house for me. Thank you and thank you.
First one's fixed, but G!ovanni de Dolci is still spelling his name like he's a 21st century hip hop artist.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 pmAt this point unless I discover other games in my collection or other episodes turn up through sharing routes with uploads, I do not have anymore games to archive.
I can send you the other of India Cooper's tapes if you'd like. My game entering has been the polar opposite of yours in 2020. Or maybe you'd just like a break. You've more than earned it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So the tape skipped from J7 to FJ? Where was the rest of the game?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:42 pm So the tape skipped from J7 to FJ? Where was the rest of the game?
The tape as given to me was first segment, FJ! round, second segment and DJ! round. When I transferred it to my computer I did what all the king's men and all the king's horses could not do.

On the list of games given to me it said missing FJ! round, so it was surprising how it was on there as I guess I had never bothered to watch that portion of the tape previously. My recollection of some of the trades was giving up some Sale of the Century stuff for Make Me Laugh, Face the Music, Tic Tac Dough and I guess J! as well though I don't remember it.

My guess is the Moser games are/were common in the trade circles and perhaps someone got a better edit than I did on it. Perhaps I should try a PM to Ric since he has a JBoard name?

Myron: Thank you for the offer of more J! games. I will be taking a break from the two-a-days I kept up for a lot of the summer. It's entirely your choice if you want to hold onto the games and enter them when it works for you or send some to me since perhaps I can get to them sooner.

I'll send you a PM.

opus: I'm still not seeing the G!iovanni error, so I really think some other archivist fixed it ahead of me seeing it and perhaps you need to do some kind of refresh?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Giovanni's already been fixed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Why was Ric not in the UTOC?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:02 pm First one's fixed, but G!ovanni de Dolci is still spelling his name like he's a 21st century hip hop artist.
It was fixed when I went in to fix Pennsylvania, which was long before this post, so 'm not sure what you're seeing.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:21 pm Why was Ric not in the UTOC?
There were several other 5xers that won more money than him (not everyone could be in the UTOC, only the available TOC, Teen, and College winners, then the superchamps, then the highest-scoring available 5xers got invites as well).
Last edited by Jeff-thecdboy on Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Mark, thanks for putting in the games you put up over the years. Meanwhile, with so many WOF episodes uploaded lately, Daniel(kingskip) is going to have a heavy update on his trading page but I'd like to see Trevor(animfan) and kablamfan(aka Erick Dye-Cain), Michael Pannoni or even Daniel(kingskip) to discover more newly-discovered J! episodes to send you. I found out for most of Season 25, whoever put up the games didn't also load in the media links of the corresponding answers, maybe it's because either their hard drive us crashed and unfixable or they just didn't have a computer next to their TV. We all miss rgfromfla, was rgfromfla and rgfohio the same person?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:21 pm Why was Ric not in the UTOC?
Not all of the 5x champs made the UTOC as there were not enough slots to get them all in, even with such a big field.

S1 had 15 5x champs and only the top 3 for $ in regular play got in: Paul Boymel, Michael Day and John Genova.

Bill Dickenson with $48,401 made the cut for last in or near last in. Leslie Shannon (Miller) along with a couple of teen champs as I recall decided not to participate and that opened up a few slots.

For 5x champs from current board values their totals were halved to determine where they fell.

Travis Troyer $83,100 - no invite, along with Ben Tritle and Mark Brown (since deceased)

Kerry Breitenbach won 5 in Jan. 2005 and I can't recall if she was out because of no ToC yet or her halved $90,400 not sufficient.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:28 pm Mark, thanks for putting in the games you put up over the years. Meanwhile, with so many WOF episodes uploaded lately, Daniel(kingskip) is going to have a heavy update on his trading page but I'd like to see Trevor(animfan) and kablamfan(aka Erick Dye-Cain), Michael Pannoni or even Daniel(kingskip) to discover more newly-discovered J! episodes to send you. I found out for most of Season 25, whoever put up the games didn't also load in the media links of the corresponding answers, maybe it's because either their hard drive us crashed and unfixable or they just didn't have a computer next to their TV. We all miss rgfromfla, was rgfromfla and rgfohio the same person?
One was Robert and one is Ron. Definitely two different guys. Robert was about J! games/players and Ron was the first long credits guy I ever dealt with before knowing it was a thing.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:22 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:02 pm First one's fixed, but G!ovanni de Dolci is still spelling his name like he's a 21st century hip hop artist.
It was fixed when I went in to fix Pennsylvania, which was long before this post, so 'm not sure what you're seeing.
There are TWO Giovannis in that game. DJ21 is fine. As of right now, DJ27 is NOT. Someone do me a favor. Highlight and copy this: G!ovanni. Now go to the game and Ctrl-F. Paste the copied text and tell me what you find.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6815

Alternatively, just go to that URL, copy DJ27 and paste it in a reply to this. I will then enlarge the problematic portion (example below) so it can be seen.

I just went to the trouble of going to the Netherlands and viewing the URL from there. Different browser. Never viewed the page in it. No cached version. Here is what it says, copied and pasted:

G!ovanni de Dolci built this official papal chapel for Pope Sixtus IV

Note the error. This is DJ27 NOT DJ21 we're talking about. Furrfu.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Correction suggestion accepted. Hope that settles it. Can't wait to see what comes up in the 1984 game though at least fewer clues to deal with.

opus: You tried and the rest of us were trying or with a different definition, very trying. We can all laugh about it and move on.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Now Mark, I'm guessing that rgfromfla is Robert and rgfohio is Ron, correct?
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

BTW, for some of you, did any of you, for those who didn't have access to Season 25 J! when originally aired seen or recorded Season 25 J! from the GSN reruns? There was another chance to put up media links in the corresponding answers.