New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:57 pm
jeopardyfan87 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:11 pm For those who are having issues with DM, I was also suggested to use a Google Drive. With the drive on my primary account almost full I had to open another Google account for the episodes. Note these are VOB files so I'm not sure how they'll work on your part with whatever system you use. Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

And because the files are massive in size, the episodes will be up for two weeks from the day I posted them to the drive and then I'll be deleting them to make way for the next group of episodes. So in both cases, I propose you watch the episodes when you have the chance.
I saw the October 18, 1995 episode that was just uploaded does have the complete intro included.
Housekeeping handled and it's cleaned up. Thanks for the heads up and thank you jf87 for these helpful uploads.
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

From December 19, 20 & 21, 1990:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 pm Marcia's last name (in game 2) seems to be Yaross. [edit: this is confirmed; she's been in the J! contestants' Facebook group for several months]
What do you hear for the middle challenger's name?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:47 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 pm Marcia's last name (in game 2) seems to be Yaross. [edit: this is confirmed; she's been in the J! contestants' Facebook group for several months]
Albert Powell?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:47 pm
I had Powell. My apologies for not being thorough with Doug's games; there were names that were ordinary enough I didn't feel like it bore spelling them out.
davopardy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by davopardy »

animfan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:06 pm From December 19, 20 & 21, 1990:
This is the one where only some of the clues were posted on J! Archive.

I was about to share it when I realized that you've already shared it too.
"Jeopardy! was Created by Merv Griffin." -Johnny Gilbert (1996-2000)
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

davopardy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:34 pm
animfan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:06 pm From December 19, 20 & 21, 1990:
This is the one where only some of the clues were posted on J! Archive.

I was about to share it when I realized that you've already shared it too.
Another one I shared is from May 22, 1989.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:20 pm I had Powell. My apologies for not being thorough with Doug's games; there were names that were ordinary enough I didn't feel like it bore spelling them out.
With my tinny laptop speakers and the low quality of the audio, it's always good to have a second opinion. Thanks.

At least it's not my old ears, but I'll get back to you in another decade on that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:28 pm I added 3/14/86: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7063
I knew from reading Clint's article that he had accidentally wagered to cover third-place Jay instead of second-place Thomas (thereby making his phrasing error $2,000 less costly), but I only just now noticed that because Thomas covered Jay as well, he and Clint would have tied if they had both gotten FJ right.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:20 pm I added 3/13/86: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7052
I submitted a correction suggestion several days ago with regard to Davina's reaction to the LANGUAGE $100 clue. The native Brooklynite seemed to take exception to how the clue and Alex portrayed the Brooklyn accent; I'm guessing she was being ironic, though, because she says, "I never talked like that in my life," with "talked" in an obvious Brooklyn accent. But it's archived as "I never spoke like that" instead. My suggestion was to have Davina saying, "I never tawked like that".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:28 pm
I submitted a correction suggestion several days ago with regard to Davina's reaction to the LANGUAGE $100 clue. The native Brooklynite seemed to take exception to how the clue and Alex portrayed the Brooklyn accent; I'm guessing she was being ironic, though, because she says, "I never talked like that in my life," with "talked" in an obvious Brooklyn accent. But it's archived as "I never spoke like that" instead. My suggestion was to have Davina saying, "I never tawked like that".
With another listen I still don't hear it the way you suggest and instead it sounds like the way I archived it. Third opinion, please.

I added 12/19/90: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7069

Player pics of Mitch Gerber, Duane Leach & Charles Hankey:
Spoiler
For another listening exercise: I cannot figure out the city Charles had on DJ13 in TRAVEL & TOURISM - I hear something like "Seapol"?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm For another listening exercise: I cannot figure out the city Charles had on DJ13 in TRAVEL & TOURISM - I hear something like "Seapol"?
Perhaps Schipol?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsterd ... t_Schiphol

UNREAL ESTATE for $400 has Ox-Box instead of Ox-Bow.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm For another listening exercise: I cannot figure out the city Charles had on DJ13 in TRAVEL & TOURISM - I hear something like "Seapol"?
Perhaps Schipol?

UNREAL ESTATE for $400 has Ox-Box instead of Ox-Bow.
Thanks & thanks, done.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:11 pm Perhaps Schipol?

Not that it's a city -- or in Germany, but yeah, it's Schiphol.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm
With another listen I still don't hear it the way you suggest and instead it sounds like the way I archived it. Third opinion, please.
I've made a clip (via my phone's screen recording, so I couldn't do away with the letterboxed edges), so that a third opinion isn't reliant on someone else's willingness to seek out the video and timesearch for the relevant portion.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I get "I don't speak like dat. I never tawked like that in my life."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:19 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:19 pm
I've made a clip (via my phone's screen recording, so I couldn't do away with the letterboxed edges), so that a third opinion isn't reliant on someone else's willingness to seek out the video and timesearch for the relevant portion.

alietr wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:27 pm I get "I don't speak like dat. I never tawked like that in my life."
Thanks and sorry for the trouble. The clue now has a "dat" and a "tawked" while I kept the semicolon since a period between the statements usually leads to another correction suggestion.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:20 pm I had Powell.
What does Doug say before "I don't know" when responding to DJ5 (top of FIRST LINES)?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:48 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:20 pm I had Powell.
What does Doug say before "I don't know" when responding to DJ5 (top of FIRST LINES)?
Not that I'm very good at it, I hear, "My heavens".
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 pm In game 3, Bruce's last name is Schreibfeder.
For the other challenger, I hear "a sportswriter from Beverly Hills, California, Steven Herbert".
For Bruce, I hear "a marriage and family counselor originally from Martinsville, Virginia"

Let me know if you think it should be "Steven" instead of Stephen [lectern says "Steven"], or if I've got anything else wrong.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:55 pm Not that I'm very good at it, I hear, "My heavens".
That's definitely it