New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:14 am May 17, 1991 (1991 College Finals #2, only the first 20 clues are in so far) has been posted in full at archive.org:

NHO Señor Wences before.

Brian is looking into the Archive issue. EDIT: It's back
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sorry, I'm out of time to complete the game. Please, any other archivist is welcome to finish it since I can't do more until later this afternoon. On DD1 I got some of what was said though not all of it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:14 am May 17, 1991 (1991 College Finals #2, only the first 20 clues are in so far) has been posted in full at archive.org:
Spoiler
Looks like André puts an acute accent on the e when writing his name out. He's just Andre in the archive. Not sure what the policy is there or if it's worth changing the name or would just make him harder to search for.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:13 pm
Spoiler
Looks like André puts an acute accent on the e when writing his name out. He's just Andre in the archive. Not sure what the policy is there or if it's worth changing the name or would just make him harder to search for.
J! Archive's protocol seems to be to show players' full names the way they're shown on the Chyron, but when referred to by first name only, to display how they actually signed in. If you view any clue that André got, you'll see the accent mark.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Once this game is done that clears out unarchived college games. Still hanging in the balance:

Seniors -5 with three other games partially done
Season 4
QF5, SF1 Missing first eight clues

Season 5
QF2, QF3-Missing intros and first segment, QF4, QF5, SF1

Season 8
SF1-missing first three clues

Teen-3 with one game partially done

Season 5
QF2, QF3

Season 7
QF1-Missing first 13 clues.

Season 10
QF1
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:25 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:13 pm
Spoiler
J! Archive's protocol seems to be to show players' full names the way they're shown on the Chyron, but when referred to by first name only, to display how they actually signed in. If you view any clue that André got, you'll see the accent mark.
Gotcha. Good to know. I wonder how the capitalization was determined for DuVoisin.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:09 pm I wonder how the capitalization was determined for DuVoisin.
Looks like no capital V on his LinkedIn page.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:13 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:09 pm I wonder how the capitalization was determined for DuVoisin.
Looks like no capital V on his LinkedIn page.
But no accent either. Interesting.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Finally done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6317

As Bamaman pointed out this completes not just the 1991 CC, but all of the CCs.

For DuVoisin see here: viewtopic.php?p=310686#p310686
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

André did his best to stay competitive, but he couldn't neutralize Scott and make up a $15,000 deficit at the same time. In the end, his pre-FJ $12,800 is the highest I know of for a player in second place in pre-doubled times. (Next highest is Joe Carroll's $12,400 in Michael Daunt's second game. The record for all clue values appears to be Adam Levin's $27,000 against James Holzhauer.)
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Time to bump this. Here’s Clint Swett’s games. Clint was the next champion after Barbara Lowe.

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Also a reminder that Dr. Nathanson’s third game (2-5-1987) and the second episode of season 3 (9-9-1986) have not been added yet to the archive.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Clint Swett game 1 (3/13/86) intros are omitted, so here are the contestants' names, occupations, and cities from the interviews and the article he wrote about his experience. (I'll mark the stuff from the article with an asterisk.)

Clint Swett (Alex indicates his given name is Clinton), a newspaper copy editor from Sacramento, CA (exact wording from game 2 intros)
Davina Rubin, a schoolteacher* from Brooklyn, NY* (her Brooklyn origin is heavily alluded to in the early parts of the show, but Alex doesn't explicitly say she's from Brooklyn) [edit: I think I've found information about Davina that indicates she was teaching in LAUSD as of 1986, so she's probably an "originally from."]
Jean Youngerman, a chemist* (she calls herself an "analytical chemist" in the interview) from San Diego, CA

I'll transcribe more names, cities, and occupations as I go.

edit: the J! round gets cut off while RIVER SONGS $400 is still in play; Clint and Jean have negged and while we don't see Davina ring in, Alex is heard calling on her and she says three words of her response after the picture has already jumped to Alex's DJ intro. Judging by the scores at the start of DJ, Davina got it right and it was the last clue revealed in the round. The correct response seems to have been
Spoiler
What is "Down by the Riverside"?
Game 1 gets cut off before Jean's FJ wager is revealed. Clint's article says she bet $1,050.

Game 2 (3/14/86):
A rock singer from Sun Valley, CA, Thomas Van Dyke (Zach Horan says in the YouTube comments he was a successful contestant on The Joker's Wild in 1990)
A private investigator from San Diego, CA, Jay Reisman (sp?)

I'm glad the intros are intact here, because there's no audio coming in from the first commercial break until the middle of Thomas's interview, just in time for him to say his band is called The Naked Apes. (There seem to have been other, better documented bands by that name.) While talking to Jay, Alex refers to Barbara Lowe by name, mentioning she had done some investigative work as well.

According to Clint's article, after the game was over Thomas objected to the BMS he got earlier, but his efforts were (rightly) rebuffed.

Game 3 (3/17/86)
A homemaker from Bronx, NY (Johnny does not say "the Bronx"), Anita Mule (Johnny pronounces it "MEW-lay," but Alex says it like the animal; I think I found her on Facebook, where the surname is rendered Mule', but she's got some people who have it as Mulé on her friends list.)
A student from New Haven, CT, Cindy Price

I think I remember someone talking about Cindy's FJ response once, as an example of an attempt at a joke that ended up being correct. Too bad for her that Anita ended up wagering for second place instead of the win.

Game 4's intros start at Clint, and his article doesn't give any information about the contestants beyond what can be found in the interviews.

Louis Seitchik (no occupation mentioned), originally from San Antonio (I think I've found him going by Lou, and from what I've seen, "software engineer" seems like a likely choice for occupation wording)
Gerri Miller, a magazine editor from New York City

Gerri was editor at Metal Edge magazine. She died March 12 this year; an obituary at forward.com says she was a two-time J! champion in 1986 (but doesn't mention her total).
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu May 27, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Many thanks, Sg, for this service
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:32 pm Many thanks, Sg, for this service
All done! Now to watch game 4 all the way through.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex had to twist her arm a bit, but Gerri mentions interviewing Van Halen while in LA for her magazine.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Doug Miller's games from season 1.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The intros are missing from Doug Miller game 1, but from the interview, the other challenger is Dorian Ellis, and she's from Ottawa. Alex doesn't mention her occupation. When giving control of the board to Bruce at the beginning of the game, he says Bruce has "$14,050 for two days' work."

Marcia's last name (in game 2) seems to be Yaross. [edit: this is confirmed; she's been in the J! contestants' Facebook group for several months]

I'll add more if I see the need as I watch these.

edit: In game 3, Bruce's last name is Schreibfeder.

In game 4, I thought Joan's last name was Campbell at first, but Alex calls on her by first and last name when she first rings in, and I thought "Cantor" complicated things, because between C/K and o/e there's four ways to spell that. But as it turns out, this game is fabled, and you can search Joan Kantor in J! Archive despite her not having been archived yet.

There's a local station voiceover during the closing credits of three of the games (game 1's credits are cut off) that counts down the days (13, 12, and 11 in games 2, 3, and 4 respectively) to "the Jerry Lewis Supershow," which is an alternative name for his MDA telethon. Because that ran on Labor Day weekend, we can assume that these episodes were recorded from summer reruns in August, so that doesn't give any information about air dates. I thought maybe it could at least be used to determine what day of the week these shows ran, but a) I'm not sure we can be positive that a regular game Monday show would be rerun on a Monday, and b) I also don't know if this particular station would be counting down to Labor Day (9/2/85) or the day before, when the telethon actually started.

edit: I think I've just confirmed that Bruce Rhodewalt's first game was Friday, April 19, 1985. Suspecting from his Vimeo upload that it was recorded from a Los Angeles airing, I tried to find LA stuff on Newspapers.com, was dissatisfied with what my browsing efforts got me, but found that they credited and linked UC Riverside's California Digital Newspaper Collection. I went there, and went to The Desert Sun's 4/19/85 edition. Now, the only network-specific stuff in Bruce's video were an ad for a Barney Miller rerun "Friday night at 11 on Channel 13" and a voiceover spot during the credits for "BUtterfield 8—next on Channel 13." The Desert Sun is at least in southern California, but serves an area that's probably enough removed from LA that I hesitate to call it LA-adjacent. But the TV listings in this newspaper do apparently include LA stations (CBS on 2, NBC on 4, and ABC on 7, but no call letters given). For channel 13, the listings say Jeopardy at 7:30, BUtterfield 8 from 8 to 10 pm, and at 11, "B. Miller" (the half-hour slot doesn't have much horizontal room)! Forgive me if this research is redundant, but now I'm more comfortable with saying Doug's run was 4/23-4/26. (Barney Miller was on every weeknight at 11 on channel 13, but that fact only strengthens the case for Bruce's first game airing on a Friday—why would they advertise for Friday night's show any other night of the week when it's also on Monday through Thursday?)
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm bumping for a discovery I just made (and edited into my previous post) a couple of hours ago. I don't know how set the Archivists were on the dating of Bruce Rhodewalt's first game, since the determination of that wasn't public, so I might be repeating someone else's research (or else bolstering already sufficient research). But for any other non-Archivist who might care about this, Let It Be Known!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 pm Doug Miller ... game 4 ... is fabled, and you can search Joan Kantor in J! Archive
Somehow I missed this the first time because of the coyness Sg employed in announcing it. The game is fabled because it contains what is probably the lowest score ever achieved by a single contestant, when accounting for doubled dollar values. Although Joan may have exaggerated her story a bit in later years (or misremembered). She said she got down to -$5,400, but as it turns out, it was only -$5,100. Still a record.