New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

Well, I’d never heard of him until I looked it up just now. Not sure if I’d heard about Junior having the job.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Not in the J! Archive yet, but posting here for posterity:

Clip from the KCTV "Games People Play" segment from November 1986. "J!" had come to Kansas City earlier that February for a contestant search. Lili Bliss (later Lili Shank) went to Hollywood in August 1986 to do on-set interviews. She was there on Dave Hammett's "WoF" tape date. Dave's "WoF" episode aired in October 1986. The "J!" game reported on here appears to be Carl Brady game 3 or 4, which would make it either #476, aired 1986-10-06, or #477, aired 1986-10-07. The Kansas City Star/Times archives indicate that challenger Dennis Owens was a champion on the Art Fleming version of "J!" in April 1973 and finished 2nd or 3rd to win prizes on the Alex Trebek version of the show in 1986. Dennis Owens appeared on the Art Fleming version of "J!" when he was still in law school at Notre Dame and he got a writeup in the Observer. The third player in this clip is named Gale, last name unknown.

Dennis Owens obituary here.

You can see anchor Lili crack up here.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Finally back in the archiving saddle after some time off for the surge and some business with my hands. Thought I'd share the opening to the next game on India's tape. It's a classic example of late-80s/early 90s "Smooth Alex".

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And I got it done in one day, which I'm happy with. Friday, December 13, 1991, George Legg vs. John De Vos vs. Jay Marhoeffer.

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7253

We welcome to the J-Canon the Judge Dee mysteries of Robert van Gulik, which do not appear at all in the Archive otherwise. New as responses include Griffin Bell being Jimmy Carter's Attorney General, and lemon being the citrus flavoring of Meuniere butter.

And now a new feature to the New Old Games thread, a look at alternatives to Pavlovs which I'm calling "Neg-Baiting". For the first installment, we'll consider the phrase "Swiss psychologist" (or psychiatrist). A search of the Archive for "swiss psych" brings up 27 clues, 14 of which relate to Carl Jung, the obvious response. However, John negged on the $1000 clue in PSYCH 101 because he didn't know the exceptions.
This Swiss psychologist was under 30 when he wrote "The Language and Thought of the Child"
In this case the correct response was Jean Piaget, because the clue referenced "child" psychology. There are now 2 clues in the Archive for which he is the correct response; however this 30+ year-old clue is the most recent.

Other Swiss psychologists to know, based on this search:

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, who appears twice as a correct response, most recently last May in the ToC. Additional clues include that she is "Swiss-born" specifically, that she is a woman, and references to death or the stages of grieving.

Hermann Rorschach, who was a famous(?) triple miss in a 2002 FJ. The players all went with Jung based on "Swiss", overlooking the word "art" earlier in the clue, which was the real TOM. Rorschach and his inkblots appear 5 times paired with Swiss; I have to assume there are plenty more clues about him if you just search his name.

Finally, there is Swiss-German psychiatrist Eugen Bleuler, who coined the term autism. This fact shows up once in my search, although he is not mentioned by name.

---

I don't know how many games Jay ends up winning. The next thing on India's tape is a TV movie, and then it jumps back a week, to a game that's missing the first few minutes. We'll get to that as soon as we can. Have a good night.
Ivoryface86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Ivoryface86 »

The next episode, Jay lost to India Cooper, so it was 2 episodes Jay won.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Missing apostrophe in J21.

Lovely wagering in FJ.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:50 am The next episode, Jay lost to India Cooper, so it was 2 episodes Jay won.
Thank's.
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:46 am Missing apostrophe in J21.
Fix'd.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The next game on the tape is Kirk Ditzler game 3, Wednesday, November 27, 1991, but it starts on clue 16, just after the interviews. Anyone have the details on his opponents Mike and David?

Thx.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:35 pm The next game on the tape is Kirk Ditzler game 3, Wednesday, November 27, 1991, but it starts on clue 16, just after the interviews. Anyone have the details on his opponents Mike and David?

Thx.
No info on the opponents but alert to both of us that we are closing in on 430,000 clues this week.
Steve McClellan
Contributor

Post by Steve McClellan »

Going through some old video, I came across six episodes from 1990 and '91. Five of them aren't in the Archive at all, and the 1991-09-17 episode was missing the J! round. I'll deal with the other episodes later, but I've added the rest of the clues to 1991-09-17:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6051

In addition to adding the J! round, I updated the player bios to reflect their occupations and locations as announced by Johnny, and added a missing word to DJ! clue 23. Please take a look and make sure it looks sane.
Steve McClellan
Contributor

I guess it's a bit later. All of the clues for Steve Newman game 5 (1991-09-10) are in, but the recording starts after the contestant intros:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7261

An emoji in a Final response doesn't seem to have broken anything. Cool. (The contestant drew a picture which looks very much like the emoji.)
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^ Do you have pics of the players in that ep?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Steve McClellan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:43 am I guess it's a bit later. All of the clues for Steve Newman game 5 (1991-09-10) are in, but the recording starts after the contestant intros:

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7261

An emoji in a Final response doesn't seem to have broken anything. Cool. (The contestant drew a picture which looks very much like the emoji.)
These are great Steve. Thanks.
Steve McClellan
Contributor

jlgarfield wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:12 pm ^ Do you have pics of the players in that ep?
This is about the best I can do with the recordings I have:
1991-09-10:
Spoiler
ChipHilliard.png
ChipHilliard.png (462.41 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
ElizabethSilverman.png
ElizabethSilverman.png (461.88 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
SteveNewman.png
SteveNewman.png (457.44 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Steve McClellan
Contributor

1991-09-17:
Spoiler
ChuckLane.png
ChuckLane.png (467.8 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
MaureenFernbacher.png
MaureenFernbacher.png (516.16 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
RandyKaplan.png
RandyKaplan.png (480.02 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
Steve McClellan
Contributor

TRIGGER WARNING: Fans of wagering strategy, click the following link at your own risk.

1990-11-02 is in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7263

The participants:
Spoiler
JimArnold.png
JimArnold.png (459.13 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
NancyByrne.png
NancyByrne.png (498.52 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
StephanieBrush.png
StephanieBrush.png (476.9 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Steve McClellan
Contributor

1991-09-13 is in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7265

This was a weird episode. A ruling on J! round clue 25 was changed between the first and second clues of DJ!. I represented this as well as I could, but feel free to edit/suggest if you have better ideas.

Two people were likely kicking themselves after Final, although for very different reasons.

Here's the image that goes with DD2:
Spoiler
1991-09-13_DJ_18.png
1991-09-13_DJ_18.png (480.47 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Last edited by Steve McClellan on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve McClellan
Contributor

And here are the players from 1991-09-13 (including a better pic of Randy Kaplan):
Spoiler
RandyKaplan.png
RandyKaplan.png (470.25 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
DavidLasiter.png
DavidLasiter.png (483.67 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
EllenJaffeMcClain.png
EllenJaffeMcClain.png (487.76 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Spoiler
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Steve McClellan wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:49 pm TRIGGER WARNING: Fans of wagering strategy, click the following link at your own risk.

1990-11-02 is in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7263
I got to the FJ answer surprisingly quickly. But yeah, those wagers. Oy.

Plus there was a DD along the lines of one of last week's FJs.
whltquan
Contributor

Post by whltquan »

When will the 9/18/91 game be completed to post in the J-archive?

Also, will these season 8 shows show up on the net?