New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 pm And it's already gone. Oddly the previous episode is still up.
As soon as I saw the post I started recording it, so I have it. Whew!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went to the uploader's channel and watched Addison Goodson's first game. When I was done I did the "swipe down to refresh" thing on the list of videos, and all but one disappeared.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

I got to catch it before it was blocked. And as far as memory comes in handy, I believe that was the episode where the clip going into the first commercial break would later be used in a ‘98 GSN WoF/J! promo — because I recall the player in the first podium was named Linda, and Alex looks down to his right raising his right hand a bit.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Usually I don't record episodes before Season 14, but this time I did. Here is 12-9-1992 again on the IA.

https://archive.org/details/jeopardy-12-09-1992
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to kingskip's post I added 12/10/92: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6959

Player pics of Beth Champeau & Mark Wiener who played Linda Kissling:
Spoiler
The OCR read commas for periods and could not handle Ms & Ws.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Jeopardy!'s first and last "fax machine dealer" contestant. Sorry you had trouble with the OCR. You probably know how to tweak the settings but there's a limit as to how good you can get it sometimes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 am The OCR read commas for periods and could not handle Ms & Ws.
There's still a "vvas" in J30, and Herodias is "Herodlas" in DJ2.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:34 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 am The OCR read commas for periods and could not handle Ms & Ws.
There's still a "vvas" in J30, and Herodias is "Herodlas" in DJ2.
Done and done, thanks, Sg. Yeah the l for i is another one.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

So this was uploaded to YT. No airdate is given nor it's in the J-Archive.

Interestingly, there's two Ira Levine's listed in the archive but it's not the same one here.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Alas, not in the resource, either, which only has twenty-two 1987 clues.

Although nonspecific, Alex's opening recap somewhat suggests to me that this was not a Monday game.

The only date hint from the ads is the Kmart paint sale ending June 2, which was a Tuesday. That probably places this game in the May 11-June 2 timeframe, except we know (from the resource) that the game isn't from May 11 or June 1.

I remember that Cherry 7-Up ad, which just embodies the '80s aesthetic for me. And Max Headroom pushing New Coke? Does it get more '80s than that?

I also remember the Pert Plus and Crave cat food ads like I watched them yesterday. Seriously, what neurons held onto those?
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

The same user who posted the above episode also posted a related newscast here. It mentions the second round of the LPGA Corning Classic which was played that day.

Forgive me for using Wiki but it mentions the tournament was played between May 28 and May 31st. Since it was the second round, it might be May 29th 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPGA_Corning_Classic
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That would have been a Friday. Too bad the local station cut off Alex's sign-off for the extra ad time. It would have been nice to see whether he wished us a good weekend.

Here's a May 29, 1987 newspaper with the Dick Baldwin retirement story (he un-retired four years later). The article suggests he submitted his resignation letter on May 28.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

The same newscast also mentioned the Flyers forcing a game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals against Edmonton. Game 6 was played on Thursday May 28th. So the episode has to be May 29th.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Good enough for me, although should we allow for the possibility that the game and the newscast were from different nights?
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Well, it has to be May 21 or May 28, 1987, that's because the DJ! round logo is shown in full screen coming out of the second commercial break, so this will be Show #644. I can't believe this station WBNG has gotten the WJLA treatment in terms of cutting out the sign off. Thankfully though GSN aired the ending part in full.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:20 am The same newscast also mentioned the Flyers forcing a game 7 in the Stanley Cup finals against Edmonton. Game 6 was played on Thursday May 28th.
The newscast also reported the May 27 Celtics-Pistons conference finals game 6 which I feel they would not have done if it were a May 29 newscast.

OTOH the newscaster clearly says that the May 28 Philly 3-2 win was "last night", which would make the newscast May 29. Very strange.

The baseball report seems to indicate that this is a morning or noon, not an evening, newscast. But then the weather report indicates a record high broken at 3:30 P.M. The 5-day forecast starts on a Saturday, lending credence to a May 29 newscast.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 am Alas, not in the resource, either, which only has twenty-two 1987 clues.

Although nonspecific, Alex's opening recap somewhat suggests to me that this was not a Monday game.

The only date hint from the ads is the Kmart paint sale ending June 2, which was a Tuesday. That probably places this game in the May 11-June 2 timeframe, except we know (from the resource) that the game isn't from May 11 or June 1.

I remember that Cherry 7-Up ad, which just embodies the '80s aesthetic for me. And Max Headroom pushing New Coke? Does it get more '80s than that?

I also remember the Pert Plus and Crave cat food ads like I watched them yesterday. Seriously, what neurons held onto those?
In FJ, Alex says the champ won yesterday, so it definitely wasn’t Monday.

I was surprised only one player got FJ. The two wrong questions were odd.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Did you also notice that the player from New York won the trip from L.A. to New York?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 am Did you also notice that the player from New York won the trip from L.A. to New York?
I didn’t pay attention to the trip destination or hometown but that is funny.

The player in the middle said he was a philosophy major but said he was getting a degree in computer science as well due to the realities of the job market. Bet Alex got a chuckle from that.

The old commercials were a trip down memory lane for me as well. I remember the one where Maxwell Smart pours the beer on Gomer Pyle’s buddy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 am Although nonspecific, Alex's opening recap somewhat suggests to me that this was not a Monday game.
He confirms your suspicion during the interviews by alluding to a woman who was a contestant earlier in the week.