New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/13/96: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6733

Player pics of Jeff Warren, Colin Campbell & Bronwyn Bedient:
Spoiler
What was shown for the Video DD:
Spoiler
Viewers saw the first image with the closeup and did not see the full item with Alex like Bronwyn did until after her miss.

With Colin’s miss and Alex’s singing I decided to post a small clip to YT:
https://youtu.be/RgMtH-LOLto
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm Here’s a test for cheezguyty: In their first six games has any contestant done better than Amanda for fewest TS clues total in their games?
Scott Gillispie may have; the Archive shows only 10 Triple Stumpers in his first six appearances, but two-thirds of his fourth game are missing.

Tying Amanda with 12 TSes in their first six games are Shane Whitlock and Jerome Vered (not counting an instance in his fourth game where Alex accidentally said the correct response when reading the clue, which is only a TS by technicality).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm Here’s a test for cheezguyty: In their first six games has any contestant done better than Amanda for fewest TS clues total in their games?
Scott Gillispie may have; the Archive shows only 10 Triple Stumpers in his first six appearances, but two-thirds of his fourth game are missing.

Tying Amanda with 12 TSes in their first six games are Shane Whitlock and Jerome Vered (not counting an instance in his fourth game where Alex accidentally said the correct response when reading the clue, which is only a TS by technicality).
Rare and esteemed company. Thanks for checking on it.

I added 2/15/96: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6734

Player pics of Allyson Mondoux, Brian Gondos and Steffanie Brown:
Spoiler
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/16/96: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6735

Player pics of Rachel Schifter, Alex Rucker & Bill Lee:
Spoiler
If a contestant has what I perceive to be an unusual enough name I will sometimes look them up to see if they have an online presence. It paid off for Rachel and this well-done post: http://rachelthebault.com/blog/i-lost-on-jeopardy-baby

That completes the 1996 CC.

I'm going to treat myself to a J! break. To quote the judge in A Few Good Men (out of context), "I'm quite certain I've earned it" and will resume archiving next Tuesday (or Wednesday) when the mood hits me. Since the count for missing CC games is low I'm going to finish those first.

After that I'll mix and match between teens and seniors to avoid being left with a stack of strictly seniors games. If there are requests for one or the other that's fine, while know that my goal, hope, plan is to get the rest in I have before Labor Day.

On June 5 the 395,000th clue went in and now the odometer has passed 398,000. The magic 400K is getting closer.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

I have just acquired the following games not yet in the archive in a trade:
1991-04-02
1991-04-03
1991-04-04
1991-04-05
1996-07-10
1996-07-12
1996-11-05
1996-11-06
1996-11-07 (this one's in the archive but the tape used was missing the last part of Final Jeopardy so the responses were then unknown)

Mark and Myron, which one of you would like to add these? Let me know and I will send you a PM with the link to Google Drive where I have them uploaded.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Now Daniel(kingskip), did you download and save the WOF and J! episodes that Chuck D uploaded on his Dailymotion channel in advance and add it to your collection? Like for example, Games 2 and 5 of Marvin Shinkman's run from May 27 and 30, 1986, Game #590 featuring returning co-champions including John Ryan and the original broadcast version of the November 26, 2001 episode (I know you've uploaded it on RuTube before but your older copy didn't have the runner-up trip plugs attached).
Last edited by Ivoryface86 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Another thing Daniel, how can I get to your Google Drive channel for your new uploads? Do you have to PM me the way to get there?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:35 am I added 2/16/96: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6735

Player pics of Rachel Schifter, Alex Rucker & Bill Lee:
Spoiler
If a contestant has what I perceive to be an unusual enough name I will sometimes look them up to see if they have an online presence. It paid off for Rachel and this well-done post: http://rachelthebault.com/blog/i-lost-on-jeopardy-baby

That completes the 1996 CC.

I'm going to treat myself to a J! break. To quote the judge in A Few Good Men (out of context), "I'm quite certain I've earned it" and will resume archiving next Tuesday (or Wednesday) when the mood hits me. Since the count for missing CC games is low I'm going to finish those first.

After that I'll mix and match between teens and seniors to avoid being left with a stack of strictly seniors games. If there are requests for one or the other that's fine, while know that my goal, hope, plan is to get the rest in I have before Labor Day.

On June 5 the 395,000th clue went in and now the odometer has passed 398,000. The magic 400K is getting closer.
Apologies for interrupting your break but could you post a video of Rachel’s interview?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For Bamaman: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oiI6kd ... sp=sharing

You have done a lot for the archive over the years and I understand how I opened the door for this request by posting the Rachel post link. This does not mean I am declaring open season for video clip requests. That would of course be a Sisyphean nightmare.

Next I will send a PM to request access to the unarchived games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks. It was better than she made it sound and if I hadn’t known Alex threw her a curve I wouldn’t have noticed. But I am sure everyone feels their chat segment was worse than it looked.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:21 pm Thanks. It was better than she made it sound and if I hadn’t known Alex threw her a curve I wouldn’t have noticed. But I am sure everyone feels their chat segment was worse than it looked.
There was a UK Jeopardy on YouTube where the contestants got through both rounds a lot faster than they anticipated. So the host went back and interviewed the contestants some more! That would be my nightmare. (As it was, when I was on Alex asked about my story on his card, but then he followed up with an unexpected question about children's literature. That part got cut "for time". It was a rambling mess.)
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm For Bamaman: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oiI6kd ... sp=sharing

You have done a lot for the archive over the years and I understand how I opened the door for this request by posting the Rachel post link. This does not mean I am declaring open season for video clip requests. That would of course be a Sisyphean nightmare.

I just sent you a PM with the link.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I talked to Ric Moser on Facebook yesterday & he is sending me his 5th game from 12/13/84. I will let you know when I get it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kingskip wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:57 pm For Bamaman: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oiI6kd ... sp=sharing

I just sent you a PM with the link.
Got it thanks. I cleaned up 11/7/96 since that was easy to do.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Is the champagne on ice for clue 400,000?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I have a memory of a game from the week of the July 4th, 1994, in which the last 4 categories of one of the rounds were STARS, AND STRIPES, FOREVER, JOHN PHILIP SOUSA.

The only reason I can be sure of the year is that it was the summer during college when I worked Environmental Services (aka janitorial) at the hospital.

I should make a list of all the random clues I can remember that aren't in the archive yet. Mostly stuff from season 2, 3, and 4 when I watched every single day. Like the Potpourri category where they only revealed 4 of the clues, but the responses were mango, Mingo, Mongo, and Mungo. I never did figure out what mengo was going to be.

Or the Daily Double in a Numbers category which was, approximately,
The Three Students, The Five Orange Pips, and The Six Napoleons
Spoiler
What are Sherlock Holmes stories?
Actually, I think that's all of them. No wait, there was also a game that same summer of 1994, with a category called KHANS & KANTS where the first 4 clues were all people named Khan, and then the last clue was the Daily Double, and if you'd been paying attention, you just knew it was going to be Immanuel Kant. (And it was!)

There was also an Audio Daily Double once in a CAPTAINS category that I correctly guessed was going to be "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" before anything was even revealed. Per the archive, that song showed up as a DD twice more. They must have gotten a good deal on the rights to that music.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

I found the last 4 clues of the first round from 9/6/89. This was Bob Blake's 1st game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXpSYh0vsI
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 5/6/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6736

Player pics of Eric Przybylko, Jean O’Hearn & David Morris:
Spoiler
14 W + FJ! whiff. I was done with the players when they did not know B MOVIES $200 while understanding that was not the most helpful pinning of a clue for a top box.

My plan is to finish the 6 remaining college games, then do the 10 regular play games shared (I'll pass on the such tiny portion of the Bob Blake) and then finish the 1992 TT.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The FJ guy’s dirty little secret came out in 1986, so they should have been aware of him even if they didn’t remember him at the UN. For that matter, UN Secretaries General should be on your short list study guide if you get the call and the list was even shorter 30 years ago. A $9,500 combined Coryat isn’t good.

I agree they should have gotten the movie but maybe they misunderstood the category and thought they had to start with B. Minor quibble, but the title needs an apostrophe.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:09 pm The FJ guy’s dirty little secret came out in 1986, so they should have been aware of him even if they didn’t remember him at the UN. For that matter, UN Secretaries General should be on your short list study guide if you get the call and the list was even shorter 30 years ago. A $9,500 combined Coryat isn’t good.

I agree they should have gotten the movie but maybe they misunderstood the category and thought they had to start with B. Minor quibble, but the title needs an apostrophe.
Titles matter, fixed. Thanks.