New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by booboo9921 »

regarding my first post in this thread, I just found the episode where universal studios florida was a category in the jeopardy! round in the archive. (I don't think i've ever mentioned how i remember it, all i can say is that the mind can be one weird thing sometimes.) But for those of you who are wondering, that category was actually the first one I ever ran.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Page 2? That won't do.

No full game to report yet, but I thought I'd point out that the play "The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial" just joined the J-Canon as a response. There were previously 4 hits for it in the Archive, 3 with "Herman Wouk" as the correct response, and 1 with "Lloyd Nolan", who I suppose you can add to your flashcards if you've otherwise run out of ideas.

More later, I hope.

ETA: And just like that "A Hatful of Rain" is new as a response, too. Time for a new scrape of the entire Archive, I reckon. (!!!)

EATA: Wait, who added the link???
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Page 2 again so soon?

I doubt they're going to show anything we don't already have, but GSN is broadcasting a Jeopardy marathon on Saturday from 9a-3p ET.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:24 pm Page 2 again so soon?

I doubt they're going to show anything we don't already have, but GSN is broadcasting a Jeopardy marathon on Saturday from 9a-3p ET.
One good thing about the virus is the down time on TV programming allowed me to clear my DVR backlog piece by piece over the summer. Record a 6-hour block in HD? No problem. Thanks for the heads up. I agree about having no expectations about anything not in the archive, but we have to make sure of course.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You never know. I expect we might see the first episode and then a heavy dose of Ken. Hopefully it isn’t just random episodes with no big names.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Knowing GSN it's not going to be some carefully curated episode set. My guess is it'll be just a string of consecutive episodes from last season.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:04 pm Hopefully it isn’t just random episodes with no big names.
Considering the title and goal of this thread, that's exactly what we should be hoping for.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:20 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:04 pm Hopefully it isn’t just random episodes with no big names.
Considering the title and goal of this thread, that's exactly what we should be hoping for.
I probably should have added “from seasons 13 through the present” to what I hope it isn’t.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

So how many years will it be before these episodes fall into the public domain?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:07 pm So how many years will it be before these episodes fall into the public domain?
After we are all long dead (it's like 96 years from initial "publication").
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:06 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:07 pm So how many years will it be before these episodes fall into the public domain?
95, I think, but same diff. It'll be 59 years (in the year 2079) before the first Season 1 games go into public domain, and, of course, Sony can more or less prevent that from happening by making sure they don't leak.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:06 pm
95, I think, but same diff. It'll be 59 years (in the year 2079) before the first Season 1 games go into public domain, and, of course, Sony can more or less prevent that from happening by making sure they don't leak.
Once that happens, could someone post a S1 game on YouTube (if it still exists) without fear of Sony (if it still exists) making them take it down?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That is the basic idea behind the public domain, yes.

Wikipedia has lists of works entering the public domain by year. All works for a year go into the public domain on January 1. Here's what's coming free to you on the next New Year's Day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_in_public_domain

ETA: For some reason there's no list for the U.S. in this article. But two notable works are mentioned, The Great Gatsby and Sinclair Lewis' Arrowsmith.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was nice to get one new game from GSN today not in the archive. WHAT! Are you kidding? Huh?

Just messing with you. Thanks to kingskip (who rounded up 10/31/95) I added: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6867

Player pics of Barbara Szyszkiewicz, Raymund Eich and Marty Johns:
Spoiler
Here is the COSTUME category: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dF2BVr ... sp=sharing

The OCR wanted to make commas into periods and a lower case L into a letter i. I’m sure I missed catching some of them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can we get a clip of Barbara being announced? How did Alex do saying it?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:38 am who rounded up 10/31/95
Does this mean we should put in an "airdate approximate" note?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ART $800 has a "form" that needs to be "from."

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:24 pm Can we get a clip of Barbara being announced? How did Alex do saying it?
The Polish pronunciation starts out like "shish kabob" but instead of "abob" you say "yevitch"; stress goes on the "yev." I would guess the Americanized pronunciation would be something like "Siskawitz."

Incidentally, one time cheezguyty pointed out a few players with three Z's in their full names. I specifically remember Melizza Zygmunt and Oz Vazquez being mentioned. Now I notice it whenever we get a new one, even if I don't remember all of them). Two I do remember are Liz Maziarz and Kids Week player Andrew Zazzera. The latter was notable to me for having all three in his last name. Now we've got another like that (and all non-consecutive Z's too!).
Robert K S wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:47 pm
lol

(Apologies if this was a real question; it's a good joke if it's not!)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:24 pm Can we get a clip of Barbara being announced? How did Alex do saying it?
The recording began just as Johnny said Barb's name: https://archive.org/details/1995-10-31chat

For her J! page I relied on Alex's giving the job and location. I included the chat since it's funny to hear Barb's way of phrasing technology terms from a 1995 perspective. Since I was already doing one I decided to let it go through the gentlemen as well.

Whether joking or not, yes, the air date is accurate.

If someone wants to give me a breakdown of the surname pronunciation then post it and I'll add it to Barbara's page.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:04 pm ...
ART $800 has a "form" that needs to be "from."
The word was "form" but the OCR and I missed "by" which is now fixed. Thanks.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:04 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:47 pm
lol

(Apologies if this was a real question; it's a good joke if it's not!)
Oh. Yes. Haha. Joke. Super funny! (Goes back to talking to no one else at the party)