New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:56 am Unless I have missed something the Archive is caught up for games not entered and available to me. Myron may still have some in his VHS stock?
Yes, I have about half of India Cooper's second tape, and then David Frazee's tapes.
Jeff-thecdboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

NewsActive3's Rerun Channel has posted the March 3, 1988 episode on YouTube:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Got it; saved on my computer. I should be able to enter it this weekend.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 3/3/88: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7181

Player pics of Janis Fahnert, Mike Perez & Sandy Taylor:
Spoiler
Another for the list of lowball winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard that word in that context.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:30 pm Never heard that word in that context.
#4755, aired 2005-04-15 THE ISLANDS OF VANUATU $2000: (Jeff Probst reports from Vanuatu.) In colonial times, Britain & France ruled Vanuatu in a joint arrangement known as this; locals just called it pandemonium
#3107, aired 1998-02-17 AFRICAN HISTORY $200: In 1899 Sudan came under a condominium, not an apartment but joint rule by this neighbor & Britain
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:31 pm I had a chance at the James Beard show sponsor logo since, long before my time, my grandfather was a milkman for Borden, but I just couldn't pull the cow name.
The station that airs J! in the Tampa/St. Petersburg market, WTSP, originally had the call letters WLCY-TV... supposedly, the associated radio station was given those call letters because the studio building was on the former site of a Borden dairy.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

trainman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:23 am LC
Very cute
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 am I don't have anything "new old" to share, but I just wanted to put some information, amassed from Roadgeek Adam's 1986 newspaper postings in this thread, in a convenient (not to mention searchable) place.

To start off with, from one article he's got Lionel Goldbart's initial five shows dated as February 28 to March 6 (Friday to Thursday in 1986).
This puts Barbara Lowe's run (which is understood to have begun with defeating Lionel) from March 6 to March 12 (Thursday to Wednesday).
In an article by Clint Swett, he says he won the game after Barbara was retired (i.e., March 13) and went on to win two more games (March 14 and 17). His rundown of his fourth game (March 18) is cut off before the article ends, but he seems to be setting up a loss.
One of his opponents in that fourth game, he says, is "Geri, an editor at a New York-based rock magazine." If you Google "Geri rock magazine editor" (without quotation marks), you get results for Gerri Miller, former editor of Metal Edge, who died less than two weeks ago, on March 12. If you Google the correct spelling of her name alongside "Jeopardy," you can find an obituary at forward.com that calls her a two-time champion from 1986.

So that's a continuous chronicle of Jeopardy champions from 2/28/86 to 3/19/86. (Then there's a gap in our knowledge until around March 28 and Eric Schoeck's run.)
I made a small discovery that narrows the gap: a blurb in a column in The Desert Sun (the Palm Springs newspaper I once consulted for TV listings of KCOP in 1985 to confirm the date of a season 1 upload) about Gary Palmer's run in 1986. From Friday, April 4, 1986:
DOCTOR IN JEOPARDY: The noted Palm Springs oncologist, Dr. GARY PALMER, has long wanted to appear on the number one quiz show, “Jeopardy.” He sent in his card, was called last August to audition along with 50 others, and was chosen to appear in October. The shows were taped, they do five in a single day. Dr. Palmer survived the first four as winner and “with shaking knees" conked out on the fifth, keeping him from becoming eligible for the Tournament of Champions. It was a freak loss but he still came back to the desert with more than $18,000 in cash. The shows he appeared on aired last week.
So between the indication that Gary taped all five of his shows in one day, and the indication that they had aired a week prior to April 4, I conclude that his run was from March 24-28, 1986. (This seems to mean that Eric Schoeck beat him.) Hopefully this comes in handy for episode dating someday.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 am I don't have anything "new old" to share, but I just wanted to put some information, amassed from Roadgeek Adam's 1986 newspaper postings in this thread, in a convenient (not to mention searchable) place.

To start off with, from one article he's got Lionel Goldbart's initial five shows dated as February 28 to March 6 (Friday to Thursday in 1986).
This puts Barbara Lowe's run (which is understood to have begun with defeating Lionel) from March 6 to March 12 (Thursday to Wednesday).
In an article by Clint Swett, he says he won the game after Barbara was retired (i.e., March 13) and went on to win two more games (March 14 and 17). His rundown of his fourth game (March 18) is cut off before the article ends, but he seems to be setting up a loss.
One of his opponents in that fourth game, he says, is "Geri, an editor at a New York-based rock magazine." If you Google "Geri rock magazine editor" (without quotation marks), you get results for Gerri Miller, former editor of Metal Edge, who died less than two weeks ago, on March 12. If you Google the correct spelling of her name alongside "Jeopardy," you can find an obituary at forward.com that calls her a two-time champion from 1986.

So that's a continuous chronicle of Jeopardy champions from 2/28/86 to 3/19/86. (Then there's a gap in our knowledge until around March 28 and Eric Schoeck's run.)
I made a small discovery that narrows the gap: a blurb in a column in The Desert Sun (the Palm Springs newspaper I once consulted for TV listings of KCOP in 1985 to confirm the date of a season 1 upload) about Gary Palmer's run in 1986. From Friday, April 4, 1986:
DOCTOR IN JEOPARDY: The noted Palm Springs oncologist, Dr. GARY PALMER, has long wanted to appear on the number one quiz show, “Jeopardy.” He sent in his card, was called last August to audition along with 50 others, and was chosen to appear in October. The shows were taped, they do five in a single day. Dr. Palmer survived the first four as winner and “with shaking knees" conked out on the fifth, keeping him from becoming eligible for the Tournament of Champions. It was a freak loss but he still came back to the desert with more than $18,000 in cash. The shows he appeared on aired last week.
So between the indication that Gary taped all five of his shows in one day, and the indication that they had aired a week prior to April 4, I conclude that his run was from March 24-28, 1986. (This seems to mean that Eric Schoeck beat him.) Hopefully this comes in handy for episode dating someday.
If it's true, that now officially completes my list of 1986 ToC players' airdates for their regular gameplay. Now I only need the regular play airdates of 5 players who played in the ToC.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeopardyfan87 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:22 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 am I made a small discovery that narrows the gap: a blurb in a column in The Desert Sun (the Palm Springs newspaper I once consulted for TV listings of KCOP in 1985 to confirm the date of a season 1 upload) about Gary Palmer's run in 1986. From Friday, April 4, 1986:
If it's true, that now officially completes my list of 1986 ToC players' airdates for their regular gameplay. Now I only need the regular play airdates of 5 players who played in the ToC.
I don't know what you have, but this page on newspapers.com gives Ron Black's first airdate as Tuesday, April 30, 1985, and this page from Tuesday, February 5, 1985 touts John Hnat's J! appearance that evening (which doesn't fully narrow it down, I acknowledge). (You can see these without an account by clicking "OCR" on the page.)
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:54 pm
jeopardyfan87 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:22 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 am I made a small discovery that narrows the gap: a blurb in a column in The Desert Sun (the Palm Springs newspaper I once consulted for TV listings of KCOP in 1985 to confirm the date of a season 1 upload) about Gary Palmer's run in 1986. From Friday, April 4, 1986:
I don't know what you have, but this page on newspapers.com gives Ron Black's first airdate as Tuesday, April 30, 1985, and this page from Tuesday, February 5, 1985 touts John Hnat's J! appearance that evening (which doesn't fully narrow it down, I acknowledge). (You can see these without an account by clicking "OCR" on the page.)
Thanks for the Ron Black dates and my completion of the 1985 ToC players, now I'm down to 4 ToC players I need.

For the record, the remaining ToC players I need regular gameplay airdates for are Joel Sacks, Walt Senterfitt, John Cuthbertson, and David Hillinck.
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

Joel Sacks: April 19-25, 1989
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Cuthbertson for his UTOC bio had first appearance as November 1993. That can't be right. But, where is his error? Wrong month? 11/93 was taping?

Under Records Held/Stats:
At the time of my appearances I was #9 on the all-time list of top money winners in regular shows.

John's later being on WBS$ and WWTBAM of course do not help for dating regular games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TV Game Show Vault has posted their holiday schedule on their Facebook page. They have a 1985 Jeopardy episode scheduled for Friday.

They also have a 2001 episode on Saturday but that year seems to be archived 100%.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

How do I watch TV Game Show Vault?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:23 am How do I watch TV Game Show Vault?
Not really sure. This information was on their Facebook page. It had a link to their YouTube channel so I’m guessing it will be there.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They wound up showing the final game of the 1985 TOC.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Really like the new font.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

yeah I was gonna say, did the font change? it looks so much better.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/