New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

I remember that FJ.

I was preparing to offer a correction on the tossed clue, and then I looked behind it.

How unfortunate that Chris Beckner apparently missed out on a wild card by $99. (I say "apparently" because for all I know, the Friday game, from which all three players made the semis, makes the margin even less.)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:14 pm Also, I'm with you being unsure Robert says Goldman. It does sound like there's another consonant after the D, but Robert doesn't appear to close his lips where the M would be. It's ambiguous enough that I won't recommend changing it at the moment.
In quickly researching to see whether I could determine it to be Golden, Goldman, or something else, I found that Robert went to my high school, presumably graduating five years before I started there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:53 pm I added 2/14/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4766

Player pics of Lauren Sager, Agatha Feltus & Chris Beckner:
Spoiler
Only 2 TS and one clue tossed out for not bad in getting the fairly rare combined Coryat over 25K in old values.

That was kind of Alex to attempt to take the embarrassing sting out of Agatha's FJ! clue miss by bringing it back on himself. Agatha still won so no biggie on the miss although in some cases it's perhaps better just to take the blank screen. At least for Agatha it was far ahead of social media times.

Deborah clearly gets sibling bragging rights over Lauren other than Lauren getting on the show first.

That tossed clue had to go as it wiped out reds across the archivist input screen for the three players.
Erratum 1 (but for the writers or Mark Barrett?) on J10 RESTAURANT CHAINS $400: Si, it's the only one of the top 10 fast food chains with a Mexican food in its name
Spoiler
Taco Bell. First word should be Sí, with an accent. Without the accent, si means "if". Wouldn't surprise me if it's actually the clue as displayed that has this wrong. Even Google's English to Spanish translator screws it up and they claim their translation is "community verified". I submitted some feedback, but good luck to me on that. Google is still listing Academy Awards by the wrong year--the year of the ceremony rather than the year for which the award was given. This leads to absurd differences such that a Google for "best picture 1981" will turn up Ordinary People (1980), a movie that will NOT appear when you Google "best movie 1981" since that, quite naturally, returns movies released in 1981. (If you think this system makes sense, that's so depressing that I don't have the energy to argue with you.) Anyway, the Collins dictionary online is one of many resources that will confirm the distinction between and si.
Erratum 2 DJ18 BOOKS & AUTHORS $1000: He refused the Pulitzer Prize he was award in 1926 for "Arrowsmith"
Spoiler
Sinclair Lewis. It's Aerosmith, dummy! :lol: JK, but the clue should say "awarded", no?
I was definitely thrown by the omission of the exponent in the clue they tossed. All three contestants gave responses that were somewhat correct except for the "general form" part of the clue.

I forgot the category and foolishly missed J20 "B" IN GEOGRAPHY $300: The huge Gateway of India Arch is a landmark in this port city
Spoiler
Bombay, of course. It didn't become Mumbai until 1995. Def woulda got this one back in the day. This is yet another reminder that if I ever get The Call, I will need to spend some time working my way to Total Category Awareness.
I still remember the 1990 World Series event referred to in J23. It's on my list of things to bet on if I find myself back in time. I wonder what the payoff would be? I imagine it's bigger if I place my bet earlier in the season. How early do they let you bet on something like that? I'd love to show up in Vegas during Spring Training and see who would take my money and at what odds. My winnings would of course go straight into Microsoft stock and stay there until Amazon's IPO. Then I'd pull it all out of Amazon at the end of 1999. Of course, I risk creating a butterfly effect that leads to completely different outcomes. Still, it's good to have a plan.

For the previous game we mourned the passing of the big toy store. This time for DD1 I was going to lament the end of the magazine in question. But apparently it rebooted with an all new gang of idiots just two months after it closed. It's hard to believe it's still any good, but it's somehow comforting to know it's still around, sort of.

Got everything in 1990 MOVIES except the easiest one: Though set in the sewers of New York City, almost all of it was filmed in North Carolina
Spoiler
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Best I could come up with was C.H.U.D., but I wouldn't have rung in with that, mainly because I knew it came out before Brazil in the '80s! :D
Definitely one of those FJs where it's better just to keep thinking until you find the right response, even if you end up leaving it blank. No point in writing down a guess you can check and confirm is wrong. Better to keep the thought wheels churning. Especially when a two-letter postal abbreviation is all you'll need to write down. Not that I blame Agatha for panicking. Alex handled the situation well. I wonder if this response is included in one of the unofficial Jeopardy! blooper reels on YouTube. We know video exists, so it wouldn't surprise me.

The Chrome app that Robert K S pointed me to is awesome. I've been using it for several games, and for this one I started using it to track my Coryat. I got $28,400--more than the combined Coryat of the three players and almost enough for a runaway. Since Agatha missed FJ and I got it--either of which events would have been sufficient--I'm the winner. Yay me. I beat up some teens. But they were teens much closer in time to some of those clues. Anyway, big thanks to Robert K S and a big thumbs up to the Chrome app:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ppbm?hl=en
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/15/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4767

Player pics of Jim Paluszak, Joann Chan and Dana Bacon:
Spoiler
6W along the way, but this game features the very rare 63R.

opus: the "Si" was a regular American lower case i and not the one with the flair.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The system seems to be working a little better now so I hope to get SF1 in later this afternoon.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/18/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4757

Player pics of Maggie Large, Dana Bacon and Agatha Feltus were posted earlier this week.

If you see Epeius in a clue then guess...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:53 pm I added 2/14/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4766
Erratum 2 DJ18 BOOKS & AUTHORS $1000: He refused the Pulitzer Prize he was award in 1926 for "Arrowsmith"
Spoiler
Sinclair Lewis. It's Aerosmith, dummy! :lol: JK, but the clue should say "awarded", no?
Sorry to bug, but did you check on this one? Might need a "[sic]" if it really did say "award" rather than "awarded".
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 am I added 2/15/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4767
Erratum J27 FILE UNDER "A" $400: Part of this city's ancient library was house in the Serapeum, the temple of Serapis
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:56 am I added 2/15/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4767
Erratum J27 FILE UNDER "A" $400: Part of this city's ancient library was house in the Serapeum, the temple of Serapis
Caught up on the two corrections, thanks.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:08 pm I added 2/18/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4757

Player pics of Maggie Large, Dana Bacon and Agatha Feltus were posted earlier this week.

If you see Epeius in a clue then guess...
Spelling question on J19 FOOD $400: The thin slice of meat, often veal, called an escalope in French is called this in Italian
Spoiler
scallopine. Or scallopini. Google attests to both but seems to prefer scallopini, offering it as a correction for scallopine but also returning almost 100k hits (to almost 800k for scallopini). I guess the real question is what sound Alex used at the end of the word. If an -ay or -eh, he said scallopine. If an -ee sound, he said scallopini.

Whichever way, the search turned up some recipes for chicken scallopine/i that are making my mouth water. I'm going to try one of them, just not sure which one yet. I suppose I could continue the Jeopardy! connection by using the one at marthastewart.com.
NON-erratum: I see you got tired of my picayune corrections and preemptively looked up the correct spelling for the tree-lined avenue that ends at the Arc de Triomphe. :D
Spoiler
Champs-Élysées. Correct as spelled in the archive.
DD3 was a rough break for Agatha. A get would have put her tied for the lead going into FJ. The clue wasn't quite YEKIOD, but Agatha's guess wasn't much if at all less plausible than the correct response for someone who didn't know it. I knew it because I remembered it happening, an option not as available to a Teen Tournament contestant in 1991.
Spoiler
I used to own one of the old $2 bills, the kind with Monticello on the back rather than the signing of the Declaration. I kept it in a cigar box with a Morgan Silver Dollar (worth $22 just for the silver today) and other such things that I don't even remember. Could've had some stupid stamp with an upside down plane for all I recall. No idea what happened to the box or its contents.
Not sure if I'd have gotten away with my response on DJ15 THE 1970s $1000: In 1974 Harvard & U. of Michigan scientists said these molecules in aerosols were destroying the ozone layer
Spoiler
CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons). I said fluorocarbons. If offered a BMS I'm not sure I could have converted.
I think I would've gotten FJ though the name Epeius doesn't ring a bell. That's sad given that I've read the most famous account in the original language.
Spoiler
That would be Latin, from Vergil's Aeneid. Homer's Greek account in the Odyssey is relatively perfunctory.
Anyway, I accidentally hovered my mouse in the wrong place when I pulled the game up, so I didn't have a chance to confirm that I could've worked my way to the correct response.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The system is making me fight just to get a couple of clues in. :evil: I'm throwing in the towel for now and will try later.

opus: For scaloppine the way I have it vs. scallopini what is the count for how the writers spelled it in previous (or later) clues? I listened to Alex again and he was so concerned with sounding Italian it's hard to know how he ended the word.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:54 am opus: For scaloppine the way I have it vs. scallopini what is the count for how the writers spelled it in previous (or later) clues? I listened to Alex again and he was so concerned with sounding Italian it's hard to know how he ended the word.
There's one clue that mentions "scaloppine" and none that mention "scaloppini". So if the pronunciation is uncertain, "scaloppine" wins the day as the Jeopardy! approved spelling. Alternatively, it's fielder's choice and "scaloppine" wins that way as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

System working well this afternoon.

I added 2/19/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4758

with Jim Paluszak, Kareem Crayton & Julie Knauer.

Uncle Alex and '90s music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlcRH9L3xfg for my own amusement
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:06 pm Uncle Alex and '90s music: for my own amusement
Hilarious, and also, understandable
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/21/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4759

with Dana Bacon, Andy Westney and Julie Knauer.

In a case of make hay while the sun shines, with the archive entry functioning well, I will try to complete a triple play today and get F2 done tonight though it may take a few hours depending on calls from friends watching the Dodgers/Giants game.

And a clip for all music lovers:
Spoiler
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

^
Spoiler
Heh, I thought at first INXS was said "inx", not "in excess". XD Alex is not the only one who thought it was said that way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/22/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4760

with Dana Bacon, Andy Westney and Julie Knauer.

Dana must still cringe anything he hears a movie/TV show that uses that cliched bit of music from DD3 as an establishing audio cue.

Things can go wrong and things can go well when finding a late DD in F2.

Yeah, I would hope that FJ! clue went 3/3.

Next up Seniors 1994.

Tomorrow. Not tonight. :D
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:59 pm I added 2/22/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4760
I have edited the prizes to reflect our convention of showing what was actually won rather than what could be won.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:13 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:59 pm I added 2/22/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4760
I have edited the prizes to reflect our convention of showing what was actually won rather than what could be won.
Oh, yeah, I never looked at that since this tourney already had the skeletons in place. Each day I found myself later having to remember to go back and erase the "Introductions only" lines. Thanks for the clean up act.

I added 7/13/94: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6791

Player pics of Madeline Wilhoft, Carol Terry and Jim Brachman:
Spoiler
Carol's chat segment sounded unusual with 2020 ears as there were five mentions in various forms of "mentally retarded", "mental retardation" and "retarded" between both host and player in talking about Carol's child.

32R by Jim for doing just enough to lock his spot in the semis prior to the FJ! clue going 3/3 anyway. Interesting clue and it could be used in S37 though "current" would have to be reworked.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would have bet a dollar from the lead rather than chance a tie-breaker and sweat out a wild card.

I got FJ but would take some work on the wording to pin it to him today.

Mark... was it my imagination or was this tournament listed a week earlier in the archive? Just asking because I looked it up when you said you were going to start on the 1994 Seniors. I got married on July 9 that year and when I looked it up I thought it had the QF games the week of the wedding.

Or maybe I just forgot my anniversary. :lol: