New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:03 pm I added 7/22/94: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6797
I would render Bart's neg on WORD ORIGINS $400 as "wat," if only because that's what I said. For what it's worth, the Lao cognate starts with a letter that's sometimes transliterated as V.

Also, I'm excited to see J! Archive get its first lock-tie tournament! I think Bart handled it in an appropriate fashion.
Fine by me, "wat" is in. Thanks for the help on that one.
I added 7/11/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6798

Player pics of Pete Herborn, Diane Graham & Dotty Carew:
Spoiler
Nice steamrolling by Diane with 31R although 1/3 on big clues and 6W was a red flag.

Good FJ! clue although perhaps not the fairest thing for a QF round when compared to what was served up for QF1.

Another chat story sounding unusual in 2020 was Diane having the opportunity to look over a term paper by Bill Cosby when he was a student at Temple U. Diane made some suggestions that she thought would make it an A paper. Bill's response was, "Just type it the way it is! Type it the way it is!"

Diane said it was shortly after that he left Temple and became, Bill Cosby. Alex followed with, "The big comedy star." Diane then said that if he had listened to her he might now be teaching high school. Alex got the last word with, "I'm sure Bill has many regrets about that..." and ending with a remark about Bill Cosby being generous to Temple University.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

J clue 14, the river should be spelled Dnieper (unless that's how the clue had it -- and I see that is the direct translation from the Cyrillic).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 am J clue 14, the river should be spelled Dnieper (unless that's how the clue had it -- and I see that is the direct translation from the Cyrillic).
Confirmed the clue had "Dnepr", so erratum or the writers have dealer's choice?

Vanya, if not banned, might have had an opinion.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:34 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 am J clue 14, the river should be spelled Dnieper (unless that's how the clue had it -- and I see that is the direct translation from the Cyrillic).

I'd personally do it with no note (if it's a direct translation, it's not technically an "erratum", right?), but I'm not the one who has to follow up on the correction suggestions. I would recommend not changing it to "Dankepr" as a gag, though.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Also, Literary characters $600 says Dick Francic.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Also, Literary characters $600 says Dick Francic.
Not anymore, thank you.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:36 pm I added 7/15/94: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6792
Love the part that says "[NOTE: The song title was not shown with a tilde, Opus.]" Ok, maybe I imagined the last word there. :lol:

I got FJ but it seems kind of obscure--more the kind of thing I happened to notice at some point than the kind of thing you're supposed to know. Rough miss for Ann who was off by a letter that affected pronunciation... though arguably not in French? This cost her a wildcard spot. Ouch.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:52 pm Rough miss for Ann who was off by a letter that affected pronunciation... though arguably not in French?
Probably silent in French, but definitely not in Dutch.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am I added 7/11/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6798
In TRANSPORTATION $400 there's a typo in Fridtjof Nansen's first name. Whether it's yours or theirs I'll leave it to you to give it the necessary treatment.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 7/12/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6799

Player pics of Elliot Shteir, Fran Rothman & Anne Farrell:
Spoiler
;
Yeah, thanks, Alex. At the opening he said two of the players had been on the original Jeopardy! in the '60s and early '70s. Elliot is the early '70s guy, but nothing more was added at the opening or during chats for whether Anne or Fran was the other Fleming era player.

Ugh, I hate stuff like dealing with that double Bogart movie clue. :twisted:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the game above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4rY3QpChc

More than I want to transcribe to add to the archive although I will if someone think it's needed and gives me something to copy/paste.

Alex must have been paying attention to the trial and went all Judge Ito on Fran?

I'm easily amused and wanted to share it. Good background reaction from audience and/or J! staffer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Forced to guess, I would say Anne was the Fleming player. Just looking at the list of TOC players from that era, a housewife from New York seemed to be a common demographic.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:35 pm At the opening he said two of the players had been on the original Jeopardy! in the '60s and early '70s. Elliot is the early '70s guy
Pretty sure Elliot's original run was 1969, unless you have conflicting information, but he did appear again in 1972 for the UToC of the Fleming era, a single-match charity battle between the three top-winning 5-day champions. Elliot rightly deserves to be regarded as an early superstar in the J! universe. And also in life: after retiring as a dentist at age 65, he went back to school and became a lawyer! He's been on my mind since I spent some time augmenting his player page a day or two ago.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm Alex must have been paying attention to the [O.J. Simpson] trial [which would have been in full swing at the time of taping] and went all Judge Ito on Fran?
Your theory must be the correct one because otherwise I don't get the joke. If all three players were lawyers it would still make sense absent the televised O.J. proceedings, but only Shteir was an attorney.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:35 pm At the opening he said two of the players had been on the original Jeopardy! in the '60s and early '70s. Elliot is the early '70s guy
Pretty sure Elliot's original run was 1969, unless you have conflicting information, but he did appear again in 1972 for the UToC of the Fleming era, a single-match charity battle between the three top-winning 5-day champions. Elliot rightly deserves to be regarded as an early superstar in the J! universe. And also in life: after retiring as a dentist at age 65, he went back to school and became a lawyer! He's been on my mind since I spent some time augmenting his player page a day or two ago.
No conflicting information to add. Alex said Elliot (at 73) was the oldest guy in the tourney. Chat did cover the dentist to lawyer area. I saw a picture and 1972 on his bio page and that was as far as I got for my comment in naming Elliot as the 1970s guy.

For people with law background it may be hard to fathom that the O.J. trial was an introduction to some for things such as "sidebar" and "voir dire". Alex's comment was topical and a fine injection of current humor at that point of 1995.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Per Mark's most recently entered game, it looks like "Venezuelan River" is Pavlov for Orinoco. (That it borders Colombia is also sometimes mentioned, but always with Venezuela.)

Also, of the 49 hits in the Archive for the word Orinoco, only 1 also mentions Enya, and it also has Venezuela and river in it. In fact, that may be the only clue mentioning of Enya in the whole Archive. (281 hits on a search for Enya, more than 275 of them about Kenya.) Is Enya not Jeopardy canon???
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex was also a big fan of Law and Order, so that also could have influenced his comment.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:53 pmIs Enya not Jeopardy canon???
Enya has the problem that there is now a whole generation that hasn't heard of her.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:40 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:53 pmIs Enya not Jeopardy canon???
Enya has the problem that there is now a whole generation that hasn't heard of her.
She got a song in Deadpool 2! ...not on any of the released soundtrack CDs which really feels like a missed Deadpool opportunity, but it was used in the movie (the bathhouse fight scene)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Now that Disney bought 20th Century Fox there will soon be a generation that hasn't heard of Deadpool.