New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

0/5 on TV. I had a chance at the James Beard show sponsor logo since, long before my time, my grandfather was a milkman for Borden, but I just couldn't pull the cow name. My mom, who was the Jeopardy! fan in the family before I was, would've eaten that clue up.
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

Jerry/Henry/Ursula is game #555 on January 23, 1987.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/23/90: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7173

Player pics of Earl Taylor, Kevin Krebs & Erik Larsen:
Spoiler
Good game and Erik did himself a world of good with 3 large on his DD. Earl probably still hates hearing the correct name for DD3.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

animfan wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 pm Jerry/Henry/Ursula is game #555 on January 23, 1987.
Is this game shared somewhere or you are just naming the players in it? I'll get 1/26/87 in when time allows.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:19 pm Player pics of Early Taylor, Kevin Krebs & Erik Larsen:
Earl not Early.
Douglas Squasoni
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

Hello. I believe there may be two mistakes in clue number 10 in game # 369.

First, it is written Crêpes Suzette, not Crepe Suzettes.

Second, the answer should be flambé, not flame.

Thanks and hope this is helpful!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JeuParti wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:39 am Hello. I believe there may be two mistakes in clue number 10 in game # 369.

I checked the recording.

The clue does have "Crepe Suzettes" with no little hat and Paul did say "flame". Early season clues did not have a lot of marks for words from other languages. The writers and the judges did not make the clue and correct response as Frenchified as you may have wished although it's not for me to decide it if warrants any kinds of notes/erratum.

What did happen is the archivist recorded what was shown and said.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JeuParti wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:39 am Hello. I believe there may be two mistakes in clue number 10 in game # 369.

For what it's worth, the champion from this game has put all his J! appearances on Vimeo if you want to see for yourself.

Elaborating on what Mark said, the Archive as a rule renders clues as they appeared on screen (except for J!'s all-caps convention), so if you take linguistic exception to how a clue shows up on J! Archive, your issue is likely with the show rather than with the transcription. More actionable are obvious typos in clues (that don't have an erratum acknowledging them alongside the response, which would indicate the error was not the Archive's doing) or OCR errors (where, for example, a program sees a Y as a V or an I as !) that didn't get weeded out.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I searched this thread for the word "typo" and found this post. I hate to make you check your tapes again, Mark, but the archived show still says "Fridtjog."
seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am I added 7/11/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6798
In TRANSPORTATION $400 there's a typo in Fridtjof Nansen's first name. Whether it's yours or theirs I'll leave it to you to give it the necessary treatment.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 1/26/87: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7174

Player pics of Debora Flury-Kick & Ursula Ziegler-Sullivan who played Jim Crawford:
Spoiler
Cool, another tie game in the archive. Thank you jf87 for the shares.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 pm I searched this thread for the word "typo" and found this post. I hate to make you check your tapes again, Mark, but the archived show still says "Fridtjog."
seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am I added 7/11/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6798
In TRANSPORTATION $400 there's a typo in Fridtjof Nansen's first name. Whether it's yours or theirs I'll leave it to you to give it the necessary treatment.
Yeah, "F" is the right letter. In more ways than one. Fixed. Thanks. Sorta. ;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:32 pm I added 1/26/87: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7174

Player pics of Debora Flury-Kick & Ursula Ziegler-Sullivan who played Jim Crawford:
Spoiler
There is a typo in the first name of the guy in DJ21. Wikipedia spells his last name with a k, but of course the show may have had it the way you do.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:32 pm I added 1/26/87: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7174

Spoiler
There is a typo in the first name of the guy in DJ21. Wikipedia spells his last name with a k, but of course the show may have had it the way you do.
Fixed, thanks. Yes, show has C.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Unusual names always tickle my fancy so I researched the ladies who tied. Debora seems to still be alive but nothing else noteworthy was found.

Ursula seems to have had quite a career as a writer.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0956152/
JeuParti
Contributor

Post by JeuParti »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:04 pm

For what it's worth, the champion from this game has put all his J! appearances on Vimeo if you want to see for yourself.

Elaborating on what Mark said, the Archive as a rule renders clues as they appeared on screen (except for J!'s all-caps convention), so if you take linguistic exception to how a clue shows up on J! Archive, your issue is likely with the show rather than with the transcription. More actionable are obvious typos in clues (that don't have an erratum acknowledging them alongside the response, which would indicate the error was not the Archive's doing) or OCR errors (where, for example, a program sees a Y as a V or an I as !) that didn't get weeded out.
Thank you for checking the tape! I completely agree that if that's the way they had it in the show, we shouldn't change it. Apologies if it came off as critizing the transcription, as that was not my intention (the work you guys put into the J-Archive is awe-inspiring). My main issue was with the erroneous "s" at the end of Suzette; I figured the accent issue was more a limitation of what could be done back then. Thanks again!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Spoiler
Are there any other episodes where the two challengers ended up the co-champions? (Not including the three way tie game.)
Douglas Squasoni
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Last edited by Jeff-thecdboy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm

Spoiler
Are there any other episodes where the two challengers ended up the co-champions? (Not including the three way tie game.)
Yes. There are several more than this, but off the top of my head I recalled Michael Dupée's first game. (I also thought of John Ryan's first game, but had forgotten there was no returning champion in that game.)

edit: dang, beaten.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wow. If Michael had bet an extra $100 on that DD he missed in DJ28, he is one and done.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added what was available of 1/20/95: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7177

Player pics of Kathy Craig, David Bond and Roger Reaves:
Spoiler
The recording did not include the FJ! round.

From the Resource:

WOMEN AUTHORS

In 1910 she became the first woman novelist elected to the Hall of Fame for Great Americans

Correct response:
Spoiler
Harriet Beecher Stowe
A little Google-fu turned up that David won two games and $26,000 although it's possible the amount is not exactly right. If the rest of the game ever turns up then it won't take long to finish it.

Unless I have missed something the Archive is caught up for games not entered and available to me. Myron may still have some in his VHS stock?