New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by bigblue999 »

Not a new game, but it's Mark Barrett's 2nd game from a GSN rerun.

And boy does the first clue of the game scream foreshadowing.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

bigblue999 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:49 pm Not a new game, but it's Mark Barrett's 2nd game from a GSN rerun.

And boy does the first clue of the game scream foreshadowing.
Sandy, the makeup lady, was not happy with me for messing up her work with the touch to my head. Yeah, you can tell with how I phrased my response on J1 that I watched The Apprentice. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I took the test for the last time on May 24 and got THE CALL a month later. Any time I've seen Willie Garson on TV over the years I've always smiled in recalling Alex's opening remarks. I don't think he meant Christopher Noth. :)

If anyone in this thread, as unlikely as it seems, learns today for the first time that I was a contestant, then I like to imagine a :o
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's great to bump this thread up from page 2 for a legitimate reason.

I added 12/13/85: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6998

Player pics of Saly Reed, Louis Lang and Rocky Schmidt:
Spoiler
I received an email tip about this game on DM. To see it I want to be vague. Try a search of big S2 champ’s first name with name of show.

The last names of the challengers are right as they appear for sound, but variations are there for exactness.

No idea about the length of the champ’s run although I expect the TJF would have the repeat percentage of it low.

I got a double chuckle (that's another hint for finding it) from:
Rocky getting the piano competition guy since Michael Rooney lost 7 large on it (that's old values) in game 4, may have spoken to Rocky at some point?, and would have no idea the J! staffer got it back in the day

Rocky getting Anderson Cooper's mom correct and that connection probably unremembered/unknown to the two of them if they have had a chance to chat in the studio.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 pm I added 12/13/85: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6998
Your search hint wasn't quite enough for me so maybe you can drop me another hint privately. I did submit a couple of correction suggestions.

I put in #2431, aired 1995-03-13. My copy of the game right before it is only partial. I could use help on the other contestants' names and data if anyone has it.

#2431 has one of the more contentious interview segments, with young Chris, who spent six years on a submarine including (apparently) service in the Gulf War before going to engineering school at my dad's alma mater in Troy, New York, rebuffs Alex's attempts to probe him for Gulf War trivia with annoyed military seriousness: "It's not the Navy's policy to discuss submarine operations. Sorry. ...not at all." The look on his face as the interview terminates has "Trebek, you son of a bitch" written all over it.

It was weird that two games in a row had a DJ! category about Congress--first THE CONGRESS and then just CONGRESS.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:37 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 pm I added 12/13/85: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6998
Your search hint wasn't quite enough for me so maybe you can drop me another hint privately. I did submit a couple of correction suggestions.

I put in #2431, aired 1995-03-13. My copy of the game right before it is only partial. I could use help on the other contestants' names and data if anyone has it.
I submitted a correction suggestion re THE 16th CENTURY $800.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:37 am My copy of the game right before it is only partial. I could use help on the other contestants' names and data if anyone has it.
See page 171.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:12 am
Robert K S wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:37 am My copy of the game right before it is only partial. I could use help on the other contestants' names and data if anyone has it.
See page 171.
I did it.
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:55 pm MARCH 10, 1995
Gord Brown, an editor and writer from Toronto, Ontario
Mike Baxter, a police officer from Warminster, Pennsylvania
Jerry Clarke, a sales rep from Stephens City, Virginia (whose 1-day winnings total $17,801)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The skeleton Robert entered (I assume he will input what he has soon) is the 7000th one to be archived and the other one is 7001.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:15 pm So it is May 28, 1987. Thanks Robert. I’ll have the episode on the IA later tonight.

Here it is:
Spoiler
I wonder if my response to FJ would have been accepted.
Spoiler
What is watched the sun rise?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 am
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:12 am
See page 171.
I did it.
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:55 pm MARCH 10, 1995
Gord Brown, an editor and writer from Toronto, Ontario
Mike Baxter, a police officer from Warminster, Pennsylvania
Jerry Clarke, a sales rep from Stephens City, Virginia (whose 1-day winnings total $17,801)
Here is the complete Jeopardy portion of the Robair Update for that particular game:

Code: Select all

JEOPARDY! 3/10/95
JERRY CLARKE/Stephens City, VA/Sales Rep/1d $17801
MIKE BAXTER/Warminster, PA/Police Officer
GORD BROWN/Toronto, ON/Editor and Writer
[ 2200][ 1600][ 2400] J!: March/Sports/The Body Human/Travel & Tourism/
Rank and Title Quotes/British Potpourri
[ -500] DD: The Body Human $500. This organ produces
glucagon, a hormone that helps to regulate
metabolism.
[ 11000][ 3600][ 7600] DJ: World War II/Oscar Trivia/Religion/
Islands/The Congress/Fictional Characters
[ +1500] DD: Oscar Trivia $800. When he appeared to
accepted his honorary Oscar in 1971, he'd
been
out of the country for 20 years.
[ +1500] DD: The Congress $800. In April 1994 this Senate
majority leader withdrew from consideration
for a Supreme Court seat.
[- 4201][- 3000][+ 3500] FJ: Poets. His wife Caitlin, who outlived him by
[ 6799][ 600][ 11100] years, passed away in 1994 at age 80.
WINNER (1d $11100)
Broyhill Millwood Creek Dining Room/Wallpapers To Go
Wallace Silverplate Chafing Dish
Spoiler
The Body Human $500: What is the pancreas?
Oscar Trivia $800: Who is Charlie Chaplin?
The Congress $800: Who is George Mitchell?
FJ: Poets: Who is Dylan Thomas?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

#818-#820, two new old games and one slightly older old game newly completed (it had been missing most of the J! Round, including a clue that led to a ruling reversal, the text of which had been pretty accurately guessed at).

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7006
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7007
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5026 (Ron Trigueiro game 1.)

The only incomplete portion is some of the consolation prizes of the second game, Johnny's announcements of which were apparently omitted from the tape during recording to save space. We know about the oven, but there may have been more for the second-place player, and we don't know the third-place player's prize at all.

The FJ! fact in the first game appears three other times in the Archive, #1866, #3157, #7250 (with a close fact in a Daily Double in #7301). This FJ! is the only one of the three to also show up in the resource.

In the Jeopardy! Round of the second game, there were 0 Ws and only 1 TS. The round went by so fast that Alex was shocked when there were no more clues left to read.

Somehow I never knew of the Maureen O'Sullivan-Mia Farrow connection.

The third game had a player named Jack, a player named Jackie, and a category named Jackie Gleason.

I added Jackie's name and occupation and corrected the spelling of Ron's hometown to Caruthers (no double "R").

Here's Andi Brown from the first game, today. Leslie seems to be on LinkedIn. Google pulls up the obituary for Jerry Van Riper's wife of 22 years (d. 2016) with facts that confirm leads to a Facebook page and a school faculty page. Demeter is the only J! contestant of that name and Googling pulls up a bridge winner's profile. Jackie from the third game seems to be tougher to confirm as still living. A 2015 obituary with a closely matching name, hometown, and approximate birth year shows a picture that doesn't seem to match, and the scant biographical details offered in the obit don't seem to line up with the contestant. A picture on Google Images seems to be a match.

The first game had full credits, which I will post a transcript of to the credits transcripts thread.

I thought of Mr. Kendall for some reason during this interview exchange in the first game:
Alex: Jack Lowe from Rockville, Maryland. Says here your main hobby is vexillology? I've never heard of that.

Jack: Vexillology is the study and collecting of flags, come from the Latin word vexilla, which means "flag".

Alex: Of course!

Jack: Yes.

Alex: Of course!

Jack: There are about 200 of us in North America, who--

Alex: And how many flags does the leading collector have?

Jack: Probably thousands.

Alex: Maybe there's a finite number, uh, of course--you get all the ca--countries currently, and then some--

Jack: Well, but there are more than national flags. There are civic flags and local flags and personal flags and historical flags and so on.

Alex: Oh, you--you guys really get into it.

Jack: Oh, yes.

Alex: All right, well. Nice having you with us.

Jack: Thank you.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Maybe we'd find out what the third place prize was in the March 10, 1988 episode if the end credits for that episode is saved.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:11 pm Maybe we'd find out what the third place prize was in the March 10, 1988 episode if the end credits for that episode is saved.
Alas, nope.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Just this week there was a One-Day Special on LearnedLeague about Indo-European languages that mentioned Gheg and Tosk.

I submitted about a half-dozen correction suggestions.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:58 pm I submitted about a half-dozen correction suggestions.
Are you saying a yolk can't be found on top of two oxen or a shirt?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Just to save the correction suggesters' time, m-w-dot-com lists crepe de chine, crepe myrtle, and crepe suzette all as acceptable, uncapitalized variants, while acknowledging they are often capitalized and/or spelled in other ways: e.g. crepe myrtle is defined as "crape myrtle", its more common spelling. I also chose to note Ron's unusual phrasing "What are crepe?", having listened 3 or 4 times to make sure he didn't say "crepes", which is not a 5-letter word.

In a perfect world, it would be crepe de chine, crape myrtle, and crêpes Suzette, but I've chosen to simplify it, for the sake of consistency. Any correction suggestions will be ignored.

Hopefully I'll have the full game finished by the weekend. I do have the whole episode digitized.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:37 pm I also chose to note Ron's unusual phrasing "What are crepe?", having listened 3 or 4 times to make sure he didn't say "crepes", which is not a 5-letter word.
Wouldn't you know, after the next clue, they ding him for adding the "s". I didn't hear it, but the people who judge such thing did.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

very curious if anyone has more data on these two players:

https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=11909

https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.ph ... r_id=11720

allegedly 3-time champions from the 1985-86 season.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
animfan
Valued Contributor

Post by animfan »

Dan Alves, an engineering supervisor from Santa Maria, California. Season 2 3-time champion: $36,100
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

animfan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:34 pm Dan Alves, an engineering supervisor from Santa Maria, California. Season 2 3-time champion: $36,100
Ooh! Good information!! Do you have a source for this?

Edit: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/76531876/

found it. That's more than Steve Willis won with $31,000, which may suggest he could have been the 1986 TOC alternate, if they had alternates at the time.

will add him to the leaderboard.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/