Friday, December 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, December 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:18 pm Yeah, Paul sure ain't fat!
Both "fat" and "drunk" were cavalier exaggerations Paul used in his intro to John's nonsense tome In His Own Write seven years after their first meeting.
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:56 am
ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:09 am Yes, but you could say that about anything. To get a FJ clue, should I have to know that the Everly Brothers spent most of their childhood in Shenandoah, Iowa (after all, their biographies are not secrets), or is that far too obscure to expect contestants to know?
S&G, and especially Paul Simon, have been major figures in the culture for over half a century. Not comparable to the Everly Brothers (who are great). Anyway, you asked how people knew. It has no bearing on the FJ clue since they weren't the correct response! I doubt the writers put the detail in there to eliminate S&G.
Well, if the Jewish thing isn't how we eliminate S&G, then how on earth are we supposed to do so?
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

Xu Donym wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 am
ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:53 am As far as anyone could reasonably guess, neither Lennon nor McCartney was a fat kid, so this method of ruling out Simon and Garfunkel also rules out the correct response.
That's true if you were just guessing, but if you were looking at photos of the four from 1957 you would come to a different conclusion (though "fat" by 1957 standards hardly registers by 2022 standards).
Sure, but they didn't give us a photo to look at. Are you saying that the writers expected contestants to have a roughly accurate mental image of Simon and Garfunkel in 1957 and a roughly accurate mental image of Lennon and McCartney in 1957 and then to use those mental images to eliminate Simon and Garfunkel on grounds of non-fatness? If not, then I have no idea how we're supposed to use the "fat" part of the clue to eliminate Simon and Garfunkel.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:57 pm
davey wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:56 am
ldfghjkl wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:09 am Yes, but you could say that about anything. To get a FJ clue, should I have to know that the Everly Brothers spent most of their childhood in Shenandoah, Iowa (after all, their biographies are not secrets), or is that far too obscure to expect contestants to know?
S&G, and especially Paul Simon, have been major figures in the culture for over half a century. Not comparable to the Everly Brothers (who are great). Anyway, you asked how people knew. It has no bearing on the FJ clue since they weren't the correct response! I doubt the writers put the detail in there to eliminate S&G.
Well, if the Jewish thing isn't how we eliminate S&G, then how on earth are we supposed to do so?
Because it's not correct? I have no idea if the writers thought, Somebody is going to guess Simon & Garfunkel from this clue, or not. They may have considered it a well known anecdote, as it seems to have been for some folks here. Still, the "Jewish thing" clearly worked for some people, intended or not.
To be honest, I didn't think of either duo. I got stuck early on hearing Elvis calling himself fat...Though come to think of it "schoolboy" doesn't sound like the word Elvis would use...(Did he ever admit to being fat?)
If it hasn't become clear, I never intended to defend the clue. As I said above, I wish they'd called it a fete. I'm not sure that would have solved it for me, but it would have given me a chance....
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A music FJ! clue coupled with Beatles will always have extra online ink spilled.

For how my brain might have worked? If "fete" is in the wording then I would have thought Irish as I first learned the word "feis" in the area of Irish dance competition and for too long thought that was "fete". That would have led to me probably writing Bono and The Edge though only after I assured myself that Slash was GNR and not U2.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:14 pm A music FJ! clue coupled with Beatles will always have extra online ink spilled.

For how my brain might have worked? If "fete" is in the wording then I would have thought Irish as I first learned the word "feis" in the area of Irish dance competition and for too long thought that was "fete". That would have led to me probably writing Bono and The Edge though only after I assured myself that Slash was GNR and not U2.
You wouldn't have thought, How old can B&TheE possibly be? (Born in 1960 and 61...)
Last edited by davey on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

mrparadise wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:48 pm My first inclination was S & G but soon dismissed it because I was pretty sure they were singing together in elementary school. Went to Lennon and McCarthy but I had a dim recollection that those two had met on a bus, but then I decided that was Mick and Keith so stayed with the right answer. Never thought about who was fat and who was drunk. My first five for five week in a long time so hot damn.
Mick and Keith knew each other as schoolboys but lost touch when the Jagger family moved away. They ran into each other years later at a train station, discussed their mutual love for American blues music, and went from there.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I knew Simon and Garfunkel was wrong but I thought 1957 was too late for Lennon and McCartney since I had the idea they met as boys.

The persistence of Paul Simon in music is amazing because he's really only written one decent, uplifting song (botw) and most of the rest is nihilistic.

The descent of Paul McCartney from King of the Music World to basically irrelevant is astounding and would be completely unprecedented if the same thing hadn't also happened to Paul Whiteman. How many of McCartney's albums from the last 35 years can you name?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:11 pm The descent of Paul McCartney from King of the Music World to basically irrelevant
His last six albums have all been top ten in the charts in the UK and the U.S. Egypt Station (2018) was a No. 1 album in the U.S. McCartney III (2020) was No. 1 in the UK and No. 2 in the U.S. He still gets invited to present at all the awards shows. I saw him a few months ago inducting Foo Fighters into the Rock Hall. His new book went to No. 1 on the NYT bestsellers chart in the runup to the holidays. His 50-year-old movie was the big Thanksgiving hit on streaming. The guy's almost 80. It's unreasonable to expect him to be the vanguard of musical popular culture for 60 years. But somehow, he's managed to hang in there as a sales draw.

On the flip side, it's questionable whether you could ever describe him as "king of the music world". He did okay '70-'76, but he's not even in the top 10 in record sales for that decade.