2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Volante »

*starts making popcorn*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: 2022 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by cinemaniax7 »

CBS Sports: Washington Football Team announces when it will reveal new team name

The Team Formerly Known as the Redskins plans to reveal its new team name on February 2. Is the timing of the Groundhog Day announcement an early indication that the team has settled on Red Hogs as its new brand? Whether it is or isn't, who wouldn't like to see the team hold the exact same press conference the following day?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've seen Wordle compared to Mastermind various times at this point, and I don't think it's quite apt. After you make a guess in Mastermind, you're told *how many* pegs you have right (or right but in the wrong spot), but not *which* pegs. Wordle's feedback is more direct, specifying letters in the right place and letters in the word but the wrong place.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:13 pm I've seen Wordle compared to Mastermind various times at this point, and I don't think it's quite apt. After you make a guess in Mastermind, you're told *how many* pegs you have right (or right but in the wrong spot), but not *which* pegs. Wordle's feedback is more direct, specifying letters in the right place and letters in the word but the wrong place.
Maybe I was just playing wrong, but when I played Word Mastermind, we always had the pegs correspond to the letters.
Volante

Post by Volante »

I'm a little disappointed at the universe, showing how useful the separate RIP thread is from current events...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:06 pm I'm a little disappointed at the universe, showing how useful the separate RIP thread is from current events...
I think it would be helpful to have a monthly rundown of RIP placed in the current events thread for when looking back on it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peachbox wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:11 am Mattel has released a Barbie doll honoring crusading journalist and suffragist Ida B. Wells.

Wells has one archive hit from November 4, 2021.
I'm holding out for the Gloria Steinem Barbie. I feel that's when we'll have reached peak irony.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:35 pm
Peachbox wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:11 am Mattel has released a Barbie doll honoring crusading journalist and suffragist Ida B. Wells.

I'm holding out for the Gloria Steinem Barbie. I feel that's when we'll have reached peak irony.
Well, she was famously a Playboy bunny.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:27 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:35 pm

Well, she was famously a Playboy bunny.
Sure, but that was to report on the exploitative angle.
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 pm David Ortiz, DH for the Boston Red Sox, is the only new entrant into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa* and Curt Schilling fail to make it in on their 10th and final time.
And guarantee all those writers swooned over Bonds and Clemens during the "PED" era when they had plausible deniability. Oh, they did. Because they also award the MVP (Bonds, a record 7) and Cy Young (Clemens, a record 7) awards.

Bob Costas was part of the HoF announcement special on MLB Network and he oozed an aura of "Shame!" *rings bell* "Shame!" *rings bell*
Zero chance he didn't call a Bonds and Clemens game at the time and fawned over them.

Hypocrites, 34% of them.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

First, Big Ben and now perhaps Tom Brady? Could Aaron Rodgers make it a third star QB to retire? That would leave Mahomes as the star QB of the league.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:58 pm First, Big Ben and now perhaps Tom Brady? Could Aaron Rodgers make it a third star QB to retire? That would leave Mahomes as the star QB of the league.
I'm waiting until I hear it from a source that isn't Adam Schefter....
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

earendel wrote:Peter Robbins, best known as the voice of Charlie Brown in the 1960s Peanuts specials. After he aged out of that role he had little success and eventually was institutionalized after being convicted of stalking and harassment. He committed suicide. Age 65.
Is the person who did the voice for the adults in the Charlie Brown specials still alive? :D
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:20 pm
earendel wrote:Peter Robbins, best known as the voice of Charlie Brown in the 1960s Peanuts specials. After he aged out of that role he had little success and eventually was institutionalized after being convicted of stalking and harassment. He committed suicide. Age 65.
Is the person who did the voice for the adults in the Charlie Brown specials still alive? :D
Sadly, the trombone was melted for scrap value...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:40 pm Just "sources say" at the moment, but it's likely true...

Tom Brady retires after 22 NFL seasons and 7 Super Bowl rings.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/331 ... ources-say
TB12 said today on a podcast that no decision has been made.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:42 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:40 pm Just "sources say" at the moment, but it's likely true...

Tom Brady retires after 22 NFL seasons and 7 Super Bowl rings.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/331 ... ources-say
TB12 said today on a podcast that no decision has been made.
I'm hoping TB12 sticks around another year if it means Schefter gets fired...
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The New York Times Buys Wordle.

From the Times:
Wordle was acquired from its creator, Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, for a price “in the low seven figures,” The Times said. The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/31/busi ... ordle.html

(Ironically, the announcement is behind paywall)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cosmos wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:55 pm The New York Times Buys Wordle.

From the Times:
Wordle was acquired from its creator, Josh Wardle, a software engineer in Brooklyn, for a price “in the low seven figures,” The Times said. The company said the game would initially remain free to new and existing players.

Where I bet Wordle ends up.
Volante

Post by Volante »

cosmos wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:55 pm The New York Times Buys Wordle.

From the Times:

*eye twitches involuntarily*
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:39 pm The NFL's Washington Football Team, formerly known as the Redskins, has officially changed its name to the Washington Commanders.
Bleccch.