Thursday, January 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:57 pm I said Pentateuch for Torah. Judges?

I bet Ken got a slight chuckle over the players getting his religion’s name wrong.
This issue was discussed here last year [2020 rather]. Pentateuch is a term used by both Christians and Jews, so it should be interchangeable with Torah in most (all?) J! circumstances.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5658&hilit=pentateuch&start=20
It was appalling/weird that nobody could get Ken's religion right. It's hardly obscure...
The year and "conquered" should have led in the right direction, but Caen kept me stuck in France. That's an interesting fact about the Tower that I feel like I should have known... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Weird FJ bet. It's like Amy was only playing against Geoff, not Terry too.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

thinking of that place, been there few years back.... didn't pull the name out in time.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:52 pm Weird FJ bet. It's like Amy was only playing against Geoff, not Terry too.
how so? a bid to cover double Terry's score but not less than Geoff's double, should it be incorrect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

CyrusChan wrote:
floridagator wrote: Weird FJ bet. It's like Amy was only playing against Geoff, not Terry too.
how so? a bid to cover double Terry's score but not less than Geoff's double, should it be incorrect.
True. She could have wagered up to 2199 without being caught by Geoff.
The day Amy wagers anything other than an even ()thousand will be a weird bet.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:10 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:52 pm Weird FJ bet. It's like Amy was only playing against Geoff, not Terry too.
Yeah, in fact I'm not sure Amy even considered Geoff in her wagering, since she usually overwagers a bit from non-lock leads. Her wager only kept Geoff locked out by virtue of a) it being a "second + third < first game" (in which the minimum cover wager keeps third locked out by default), and b) Amy's round-up to the next thousand not being enough to let Geoff back in. I think she still bets $2,000 even if Geoff has $11,800.

The usual suspect was late in flipping channels back from a Huell Howser rerun, and the one thing I saw and heard was Ken saying "Normandy" before I covered my ears and closed my eyes for the remainder of the show. Watching from my recording, I guessed Notre Dame Cathedral; I don't know whether I let myself be swept away by Ken's one word putting me in France, or if my having been to Caen would have been enough to distract me from the late 11th century "conquered" TOM. (I've been to the Tower of London too, but I'm not sure I knew enough about it, tour guides notwithstanding, to get it from that clue.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Another Westminster Abbey here.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

My 3 game FJ streak is done :(. I went with Notre Dame, figuring out that populaces are conquered all the time and I knew it was a 900+ year old building. I'm surprised to learn that there are so many structures older than that, as mentioned above with the thing in Pisa, the Tower, and Westminster Abbey. Europe is amazing. anecdote:
Spoiler
I visited a customer in France and saw the 900 year old Gothic cathedral he attended. I met him in St. Louis somewhat later and he was impressed with the Basilica of St. Louis, built in 1836 that is near the Gateway Arch. I just chuckled at him for admiring our NEW church and reminded him his was 900 years old :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Despite their ubiquity in the modern world, Tweet $600 seems to be the only mention of "F-bombs" in the J! archive, while the only recorded delivery of such a device was under the breath of a Teen Tourney contestant back in 2007.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

The challengers of late are playing well enough to come from behind and knock Amy off if she falters in FJ. But as Ken says, that's a rarity.

Got to the FJ solve early thanks to the year pin.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
yclept

Post by yclept »

Amy likely goes over $1M on Friday with a win, matching Matt’s march to a million. Meanwhile, Ken did it in 30 games. Amy’s style is closer to Ken’s. Both play the game in a mostly traditional matter, relying on their insane buzzer skills to accumulate massive totals even without hyper aggressive DD play.
If Geoff or Terry finds DD-3, this game would have been more intense in FJ. Good job by Terry pulling off the rather rare feat of getting within striking distance of Amy heading into FJ. Amy is so good in FJ that it is going to be tough to find that one nugget of knowledge that she doesn’t know that a challenger does know. It is all a guessing game on how she loses but my guess is that a player comes along that accumulates enough money to hit it big on DD-3 to knock her off the throne.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:31 pm My 3 game FJ streak is done :(. I went with Notre Dame, figuring out that populaces are conquered all the time and I knew it was a 900+ year old building. I'm surprised to learn that there are so many structures older than that, as mentioned above with the thing in Pisa, the Tower, and Westminster Abbey. Europe is amazing. anecdote:
Spoiler
I visited a customer in France and saw the 900 year old Gothic cathedral he attended. I met him in St. Louis somewhat later and he was impressed with the Basilica of St. Louis, built in 1836 that is near the Gateway Arch. I just chuckled at him for admiring our NEW church and reminded him his was 900 years old :lol:
Glad I wasn't the only one to be led into France by Caen and looking for a landmark made out of native stone. My medieval European history has its hazy spots; I wondered if Notre Dame may have been built during or at the conclusion of the Great Schism to "win hearts and minds." TIL the cathedral predates the Avignon papacy by a couple of hundred years.

And to reply to TFB's spoiler:
Spoiler
Took a bus tour of England a few years ago. One of the other couples in the tour group were from the Boston area and happened to mention their pride at living in a colonial-era home whose original construction dated back to 1690 or so. They had an amusing reaction at one of our stops (I think it was in Bath) when we were told our accommodations would be in "the new wing." It wasn't built until 1450.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick

Post by brick »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:57 pm I said Pentateuch for Torah. Judges?
Don't see why not. It was my answer, too.
Same. But I’m not sure it would be accepted.
brick

Post by brick »

Celibacy would have been accepted in place of Chastity, yeah? I was slightly surprised chastity was accepted.
earendel

Post by earendel »

brick wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:38 pm Celibacy would have been accepted in place of Chastity, yeah? I was slightly surprised chastity was accepted.
I think it would have to be, especially since technically chastity is incorrect. Chastity is a virtue, whereas celibacy is a vow. The former should be practiced by all Christians, while the latter is only a requirement for clergy.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
brick

Post by brick »

earendel wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:03 am
brick wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:38 pm Celibacy would have been accepted in place of Chastity, yeah? I was slightly surprised chastity was accepted.
I think it would have to be, especially since technically chastity is incorrect. Chastity is a virtue, whereas celibacy is a vow. The former should be practiced by all Christians, while the latter is only a requirement for clergy.
I would counter (or simply add) that chastity refers to past behavior whole celibacy is a commitment regarding future behavior. And only the latter is required of clergy. I think it was a sloppy ruling.