Friday, January 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Friday, January 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Miss Mr. or Mrs. In Song $800 and Bobbing for Actors $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:38 pm Instaget, even without my father-in-law being buried there. Surprised at the TS. Caps a perfect week for me.
I also managed to get a perfect week.

Props to Amy for eclipsing Holzhauer's streak. By the end of the next two-day taping session, she will have either been dethroned or made more history (or both, conceivably).
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:49 pm
The FJ! clue had me resigned to an 0/5 week as had no great idea which state to guess. The ones I considered were WA, CA, OR, AK, and HI.

It's the FJ! round and everyone picked a state. Let's hope the same happens on the board. Each person, everyone, picks a state.
I picked Montana. The world will end when the supervolcano under Yellowstone goes boom. At least for humans, our robot overlords will probably not notice.

My Box of Glory and MB's Box of Shame ended, just as Pele would want :).

Funny about yesterday's FJ clue and Sydney Carton showing up today.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

I'm not sure why I started with HI, then rejected it... Is it weird that I thought that cemetery sounded too big?...:oops: I considered CA because it's plenty big, but (maybe semi-consciously, and not very logically, thinking of Pearl Harbor), I ended up with Arizona...Hey, it has a lot of volcanic craters...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My great-uncle (one of Merrill's Marauders) is buried there. (My grandmother, who turned 89 last year, is his last surviving sibling.) I wasn't missing this one.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hugo Z wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm I got this FJ, but I can see how having "1949" and "this state" together might put people on the wrong track.
Definitely here. Ended up with Washington thinking "Well, volcano, state, St Helens, they've rewarded us for the wrong train of thought in the past..."
Actually first thought Alaska but ruled it out because 'not a state' (so that wouldn't help any Hawaii consideration)

And more disappointingly, I had no idea that existed, and I was within a stone's throw of Punchbowl on my visit back in '16
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

For fictional characters, first names are acceptable right? I could only muster "Sydney... something" for Charles Darnay's doppleganger in AToTC.

For FJ, Wyoming???

Unaware of the cemetery mentioned in the clue, I settled on HI as OR and AK didn't feel right.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Amy's relatively conservative J! round DD wagers may hurt her against the stronger competition she will face in the TOC. The other TOC contestants are likely to go all in on those DD wagers when facing her.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:51 pm For FJ, Wyoming???
As twelvefootboy mentioned Yellowstone is sitting on a supervolcano, hence all the geothermal activity, so I think Wyoming as a guess at least has some justification.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:58 am
Spoiler
*looks at profile pic*
Well we don't all have your viewing angle!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:20 am As twelvefootboy mentioned Yellowstone is sitting on a supervolcano, hence all the geothermal activity, so I think Wyoming as a guess at least has some justification.
It does have some, no argument there. But when you dive deeper there are two flaws. 1, Yellowstone is a caldera, not a crater. 2, it’s not extinct.

And unlike the current TV series, the caldera is located in Wyoming, not Montana.

The few super volcanic eruptions in the past are pretty amazing to read about.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:59 pm It seemed like they really sped through the abbreviated end credits today, and sped up Johnny's announcement of the online "Overheard" segment.

Sarah had another announcement of the show's Alaska trip sweepstakes starting Monday.
The Alaska trip is a cruise, the contest website goes live on Monday, to enter, go there and name the final Jeopardy category each day.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I sized up the competition and knew before the end of the single Jeopardy round that they wouldn't be retiring Amy.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:06 pm I sized up the competition and knew before the end of the single Jeopardy round that they wouldn't be retiring Amy.
I don't think I have that power, but I am able to check the calendar and see that if Amy is still going, accounting for a holiday break in taping, she would be somewhere between game 63 and game 73 about now, which could explain the show's heightening interest in stats.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:49 am
floridagator wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:06 pm I sized up the competition and knew before the end of the single Jeopardy round that they wouldn't be retiring Amy.
I don't think I have that power, but I am able to check the calendar and see that if Amy is still going, accounting for a holiday break in taping, she would be somewhere between game 63 and game 73 about now, which could explain the show's heightening interest in stats.
If her being between game 63 and 73 is the reason for the heightening interest in stats, then Ken wouldn't be talking about them so much while her streak is in the 30s; we would only see the stats, not hear about them during the show.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:09 am If her being between game 63 and 73 is the reason for the heightening interest in stats, then Ken wouldn't be talking about them so much while her streak is in the 30s; we would only see the stats, not hear about them during the show.
I already forget--did Ken talk about the box score on the show itself?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:21 am
triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:09 am If her being between game 63 and 73 is the reason for the heightening interest in stats, then Ken wouldn't be talking about them so much while her streak is in the 30s; we would only see the stats, not hear about them during the show.
I already forget--did Ken talk about the box score on the show itself?
I don’t think he specifically said box score, but he’s been talking a lot of stats in the opening, and there’s been some talk about stats at the start of double jeopardy and final jeopardy.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

How many of us, I wonder, ruled Hawaii out because of the way the FJ clue was worded?

60,000 are at rest in a National Memorial Cemetery opened in 1949 in the crater of an extinct volcano in this state

The clue tells us that the cemetery was opened in a state in 1949. Since Hawaii and Alaska weren't states in 1949, I guessed it had to be Oregon or Washington, two of the states with the largest number of volcanoes. But, as it turns out, the cemetery wasn't opened in a state... though it is in a state now. I suppose it might have been a better-pinned clue if it had been worded something like:

This state's National Memorial Cemetery was opened in 1949 in the crater of an extinct volcano

Congrats to the sharp folks who saw through the clue and got right to the obvious Hawaii answer. Unfortunately, you got there through common sense and/or prior knowledge, not through the wording of the clue. As for me, I incorrectly guessed Washington.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Xu Donym wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:54 am How many of us, I wonder, ruled Hawaii out because of the way the FJ clue was worded?

60,000 are at rest in a National Memorial Cemetery opened in 1949 in the crater of an extinct volcano in this state

The clue tells us that the cemetery was opened in a state in 1949. Since Hawaii and Alaska weren't states in 1949, I guessed it had to be Oregon or Washington, two of the states with the largest number of volcanoes. But, as it turns out, the cemetery wasn't opened in a state... though it is in a state now. I suppose it might have been a better-pinned clue if it had been worded something like:

This state's National Memorial Cemetery was opened in 1949 in the crater of an extinct volcano

Congrats to the sharp folks who saw through the clue and got right to the obvious Hawaii answer. Unfortunately, you got there through common sense and/or prior knowledge, not through the wording of the clue. As for me, I incorrectly guessed Washington.
The clue is polling at 83%, the easiest of the week.

Gold was discovered in this state at Sutter's Mill in 1848

It can't be California since it was not a state until 1850?