Monday, January 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Monday, January 17, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENTIFIC NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1905 paper that gave this its name also referred to it as "Dynamosaurus imperiosus"

Amy Schneider: 26800+10000=36800 (34x = $1,148,600)
Frances Garrison: 7800+5000=12800
Jorge Quiñones: 400+400=800

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tyrannosaurus rex (T-rex)

Daily Doubles
Amy: 1800-1800
Amy: 10400+4000
Jorge: 4400-4000

Coryats
Amy: 25800
Frances: 7800
Jorge: 400

Combined: 38,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 6400
Frances: 1000
Jorge: 1600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken opened with shilling duties for the Explore Alaska Sweepstakes which will go two weeks.

Ken was ready with a quip after the Thomas Watson clue.

The FJ! clue will have me all alone with a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I wrote theory of relativity and never once during think time realized how wrong I was even with the obvious staring at me. Better to do it at home than on stage.

As just about always happens on a triple solve, each player had different responses as it seems very rare for each contestant to write the exact same thing.

Whether Amy or the opponents it's not high level strategy to lay off the top box in clue selection, move along after a DD has been found in a category and have a little more Spidey sense where a DD might be. I was shaking my head each someone picked 6-LETTER WORDS while nodding yes for each choice in PALACES.

Jorge was very slow in getting to half right on DD3 and even if right it would have been nowhere near breaking the lock. Jorge finding DD3 made sure Frances could not win either, but did end up assuring her $2000 for 2nd.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game is parked here: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7243

If someone can please provide a tape date through post here, reddit post, correction suggestion, etc. then I'll get it added. Thanks.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Members of the Band $800 and Documentaries $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:22 pm The game is parked here: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7243

If someone can please provide a tape date through post here, reddit post, correction suggestion, etc. then I'll get it added. Thanks.
I hadn't noticed that the Archive now lists tape dates. Cool addition! How long have you been doing that?
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:46 pm I wrote theory of relativity
The special theory of relativity is arguably the most famous and influential scientific paper of 1905. And its (English) title is "On the electroDYNAMics of moving bodies", so this FJ! had me start down the same path. But then I paid attention to "dynamoSAURUS" and realized that this paper had to actually be about a dinosaur. After that it was WECIB.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:47 pm
The special theory of relativity is arguably the most famous and influential scientific paper of 1905. And its (English) title is "On the electroDYNAMics of moving bodies", so this FJ! had me start down the same path. But then I paid attention to "dynamoSAURUS" and realized that this paper had to actually be about a dinosaur. After that it was WECIB.
Ditto that
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:01 pm
Foretopman wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:47 pm
Ditto that
Tritto. I reread though in search of a nudge toward either general or special relativity (also because I had nothing particularly better to do).
I'm smart and I want respect.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I noted the time frame, saw the first few letters "dynam"... and thought "oh, that's about the right time frame for Alfred Nobel". Then I saw the "saurus".
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 19-32-25 Explore Alaska Sweepstakes.png
Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 19-32-25 Explore Alaska Sweepstakes.png (258.37 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
None of the listed Final Jeopardy on the contest page is the one they had tonight!
Hope someone fixes that.
I have a screen shot, but don't know how to attach it.
bob
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:46 pm The FJ! clue will have me all alone with a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
A misquotation of Alexander Pope that has proven vexatious for past contestants in three out of four cases:
spoilered to conserve space
#5030, aired 2006-06-23 JEPOETRY $200: Alexander Pope: "A little Jeopardy! is a dangerous thing"

TS after Chris gave the standard misquote. Didn't affect the outcome of the game which Chris won from second place.

#6242, aired 2011-11-08 OOO, SORRY $2000: Alexander Pope didn't write "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" but "a little" this "is a dang'rous thing"

TS. "Knowledge" was ruled out by the clue leaving the contestants with no guess. Didn't affect the outcome of the game. At least they knew to put this in the bottom row this time.

#7210, aired 2016-01-08 ALEXANDER POPE $400: Pope's line "A little" this "is a dangerous thing" is sometimes misquoted as "A little knowledge"

TS. "Knowledge" again ruled out, but the clue is back on the top row. The clue writers didn't learn their lesson after all.

#7755, aired 2018-05-04 THANKS FOR THE MEMOIRS $1600: This alliterative title of Evelyn Waugh's memoir is what Alexander Pope described as "a dangerous thing"

Finally! For the first time ever a contestant gets this right! "A Little Knowledge" is ruled out for not being alliterative. Did the contestant know the Waugh title or did he actually get it off the Pope hint? In any event he went on to win, but probably would have done so anyway.
For those who want to brush up on these kinds of quotations and be irritated at the same time, take my Sporcle Misquotable Quotes quiz:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/opusthepe ... ble-quotes

WARNING!!! Do NOT take this quiz without a good ad blocker such as uBlock Origin or Adblock Plus. The ridiculously intrusive ads on Sporcle are not what I was referring to when I said "irritated at the same time".

If you prefer to take the quiz without leaving the JBoard, you can do so here. But the answer entry box will scroll off the top of your screen for the lower clues and that can get irritating.
Misquotable Quotes Quiz
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:28 pm I hadn't noticed that the Archive now lists tape dates. Cool addition! How long have you been doing that?
Since around the time of this tweet

Leander

Post by Leander »

bkellysky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:39 pm Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 19-32-25 Explore Alaska Sweepstakes.pngNone of the listed Final Jeopardy on the contest page is the one they had tonight!
Hope someone fixes that.
bob
If I read the rules correctly, your answer doesn’t affect your chance of winning. Still, it would be nice it they could get it in synch.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Quick get for me. A little disappointed Frances didn’t hit DD3 to make FJ interesting but the triple solve made that irrelevant.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bkellysky wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:39 pm Screenshot 2022-01-17 at 19-32-25 Explore Alaska Sweepstakes.pngNone of the listed Final Jeopardy on the contest page is the one they had tonight!
Hope someone fixes that.
Only the third category, AWARDS AROUND THE WORLD, has not yet shown up:

#7569, aired 2017-07-06 SPORTS TRADITIONS: Since 1986, reaching the quarterfinals of this event has entitled you to free tickets & free tea for life
#7576, aired 2017-07-17 DEADLY CREATURES: The National Ocean Service says one lethal type of this bone-free creature is the most venomous marine animal
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Leander wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:58 pm
Hope someone fixes that.
bob
If I read the rules correctly, your answer doesn’t affect your chance of winning. Still, it would be nice it they could get it in synch.
"NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource." after clicking on 'submit'.
We'll keep trying.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:46 pm Ken opened with shilling duties for the Explore Alaska Sweepstakes which will go two weeks.

The FJ! clue will have me all alone with a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I wrote theory of relativity and never once during think time realized how wrong I was even with the obvious staring at me. Better to do it at home than on stage.
I for one will not be taking part in the Lindblad-J! Alaska sweepstakes. If I want to spend 8 days in that kind of weather I can take a walk around my neighborhood in suburban Cleveland. I know we didn't get walloped as hard as a lot of other places, but for sure it's close enough. And it's only mid-January. Only 5 more months of winter....

Mark, FWIW I started out down the same path as you. I presume you saw the date 1905 and (as I did) immediately thought of Einstein's "annus mirabilis." I thought for a good 10-15 seconds about how to squeeze the Latin name in the clue into something about relativity before I finally thought "maybe it's something else, like a dinosaur." T-rex came to mind in time. I would have been kicking myself too if I hadn't corrected in time.

I managed to get all three DDs right, even the one Amy negged. Once again, some little point of pride for the guy playing with pen and paper at home. I needed something to offset my predictable 0-for-5 in the band member category.

I also managed 4 TSs in the first round, including "A Scandal in Bohemia." That was actually a gimme because all my ancestors on my mom's side came from Bohemia, and, well, most of them were pretty scandalous.

I begin to wonder if Amy will ever lose. I don't think she has had the strongest competition overall, but you don't play 30+ games without running into another contestant or two or three who could win several games himself or herself if not for diving face-first into a buzz-saw as the last 68 opponents have done. How long can this go on?