Tuesday, January 18, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:50 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 pm 58 R (Stayed CLAM on Bert baseball players and didn't know the Blake Shelton albums.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Bert Campaneris? Those of the right age would have immediately thought of this:

His other claim to fame was playing all 9 positions in the same game. No DH back then.
Interesting. I have seen a number of baseball brawl videos, but not that one. Not gonna lie, I would have done the same thing.
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 pm I'm clearly not as well read as many really great J! champs (such as Amy, obviously) so it tickled me when I saw the clue about the character predicting an eclipse and I recalled reading that in "A Connecticut Yankee...."
And I may not have seen as many plays as some J! champs...

...but I did see my friends' son in a high school production of Molière's "The Imaginary Invalid" in 2019.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:50 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:27 pm 58 R (Stayed CLAM on Bert baseball players and didn't know the Blake Shelton albums.)
DD: 3/3
Bert Campaneris? Those of the right age would have immediately thought of this:
Spoiler
His other claim to fame was playing all 9 positions in the same game. No DH back then.
Interesting. I have seen a number of baseball brawl videos, but not that one. Not gonna lie, I would have done the same thing.
Umpires need throwback uniforms too. And they definitely should've had em during the Field of Dreams game. (This is 1918, but close enough). It's a large image so just linking:
https://baseballhall.org/sites/default/ ... 096u_0.jpg
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Lach Trash: Phil Murphy, Daft Punk

davey

Post by davey »

bkellysky wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:15 pm Tonight's sweepstakes' page is the same as last night, with the tonight's final jeopardy category as the answer. But it won't let me enter, since it says I entered already. I'll try again in the morning.
When I entered the contest yesterday, the right category was in the list. The rules say each day's contest goes from 12 midnight to 11:59 PM Pacific time, so it should change about 3 hours from now.
davey

Post by davey »

I was surprised by Amy's guess in FJ. Voltaire lived mostly in the 18th C. Moliere is a Pavlov for early revered French playwright. I worried it could be Racine, but only because the French are pretty serious about these things. Corneille I figured was way too obscure... :geek:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bluejaylink wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:36 pm Amy - 48 buzzer attempts, $35,400 going into FJ

Taryn - 42 buzzer attempts, $400 going into FJ

These buzzing stats are insane.
It's not the money; it's that she's getting in 81% of the time vs. 24% and 26%. It's like playing a baseball game where the other team starts with a runner on 3rd base every inning. I know we've never seen these statistics before, but I doubt anyone has done anything like that before.

Speaking of baseball ... I don't remember what led up to that incident, but he appeared to be throwing at his feet. I don't think that warranted throwing the bat. If he was aiming at his head, that's a different story entirely. It figures that Billy Martin was in the middle of it.
floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 pm Those two Challengers clearly did not belong on stage. Something has gone screwy with contestant screening during the pandemic.
1) I think you're forgetting what 'typical' contestants are like. There was nothing wrong with either of them. Plus it's easy to look terrible when you're getting steamrollered.
2) I will remind you that we do not resort to insults on here. While I hate to do so, I do reserve the right to edit out or delete any comments that aren't civil. E.g., "These two challengers were clearly overmatched" would have been fine. But not what you wrote. That's just plain mean.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I don't want to run afoul of any of the rules of the group. I have a strong personality and tend to say what I feel.

Saying someone isn't worthy of being a Jeopardy contestant is hardly rude or uncivil. It's been noted about hundreds of contestants over the years. My argument is that something has gone wrong with the contestant screening and they're not able to recruit the worthy contestants or they're not able to keep out the unworthy ones. If Amy has to keep winning, at least let us see her fight for it. It's no fun watching these games where it's clear before the first commercial break in the Jeopardy round that these competitors will not be retiring Amy. It's too similar to a bullfight.

Amy has a lousy record in Final Jeopardy and she would have been gone by now if she had more worthy challengers.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:26 am I was surprised by Amy's guess in FJ. Voltaire lived mostly in the 18th C. Moliere is a Pavlov for early revered French playwright. I worried it could be Racine, but only because the French are pretty serious about these things. Corneille I figured was way too obscure... :geek:
I initially thought of Voltaire just because he's Pavlov for famous French literary guy from before the 19th century somewhere. But I quickly thought, nah, it's gotta be that other guy and came up with Molière pretty quickly. I then thought of Racine but my J!-sense told me he was too obscure for a non-TOC FJ. Didn't think of Corneille but would have ruled him out for the same reason, as you did.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:56 pm ...but I did see my friends' son in a high school production of Molière's "The Imaginary Invalid" in 2019.
I've always thought that play should be called The Invalid Invalid. I think the pun works in French too--Le Invalide Invalide?--though I don't know if the words are pronounced differently as in English.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:16 pm
davey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:26 am I was surprised by Amy's guess in FJ. Voltaire lived mostly in the 18th C. Moliere is a Pavlov for early revered French playwright. I worried it could be Racine, but only because the French are pretty serious about these things. Corneille I figured was way too obscure... :geek:
I initially thought of Voltaire just because he's Pavlov for famous French literary guy from before the 19th century somewhere. But I quickly thought, nah, it's gotta be that other guy and came up with Molière pretty quickly. I then thought of Racine but my J!-sense told me he was too obscure for a non-TOC FJ. Didn't think of Corneille but would have ruled him out for the same reason, as you did.
Another reason to be skeptical of Voltaire: I don't know if Voltaire's theater work is still well-known or produced in France, but I don't think I've ever heard that a play of his was performed in the US. Candide the musical, of course, was not written by Voltaire...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:18 pm Another reason to be skeptical of Voltaire: I don't know if Voltaire's theater work is still well-known or produced in France, but I don't think I've ever heard that a play of his was performed in the US. Candide the musical, of course, was not written by Voltaire...
Yeah, that was the main reason I kept looking after thinking of Voltaire. I think of Voltaire as an essayist, philsopher, and gadfly but not so much a playwright. Looks like he wrote a play called Mahomet that would probably get the Charlie Hebdo treatment if they tried to produce it in France today.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:04 am
bluejaylink wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:36 pm Amy - 48 buzzer attempts, $35,400 going into FJ

Taryn - 42 buzzer attempts, $400 going into FJ

These buzzing stats are insane.
It's not the money; it's that she's getting in 81% of the time vs. 24% and 26%. It's like playing a baseball game where the other team starts with a runner on 3rd base every inning. I know we've never seen these statistics before, but I doubt anyone has done anything like that before.

Yeah I was trying to highlight the huge importance of the buzzer skill. One player thought they knew 48 answers, another thought they knew just 6 fewer at 42 answers. Yet a $35,000 difference in money.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This game featured Amy's longest longest streak, of 14 clues. (The number in this case is the same whether you define "streak" as keeping control of the board, or number of correct responses in a row.)