Idle Question

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Idle Question

Post by John Boy »

Why do you suppose TPTB seem to put so much emphasis on how many GAMES a contestant has won, rather than how much MONEY?

Both are of course important in rating how good a run a player has. But if you gave me a choice between winning 6 games and $120,000 vs. winning "only" 4 or 5 but raking in $150,000, I'd take the latter every time.

I know 6 games would guarantee a ToC slot and "only" 4 might not. But Amy is way beyond that. AS KJ said, she may move into 2nd place all-time in games won this week, but she is still in a distant 4th in money earned.

And please don't take this to suggest any minimizing of Amy's performance. I just think she rightly is in 4th place as ranked by regular-season winnings, a way more telling measure than "3rd-and-soon-possibly-2nd" in "games won.

Thoughts?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Idle Question

Post by triviawayne »

I like games won. Money amounts have changed, and could always change again, it’s a great comparison. Money is also sometimes a product of how your opponents did against you.

The only downside of games is the old rules of five and done.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:44 pm Money is also sometimes a product of how your opponents did against you.
Yeah, someone who consistently earns narrow locks and gets FJs right will generally be outscored by someone who consistently enters FJs with narrow leads and gets them right. The former might enter FJ with higher scores, but will not add much by necessity, whereas the latter can be expected to nearly double their scores with correct responses.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

A contestant who goes all in from second place when trailing by a few hundred dollars and wins has certainly won more money than s/he would have given an optimal bet, but that doesn't make it a good wager. This is why I am fine with wins above all else. I don't like anything that might incentivize suicide wagers.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Because sports leagues also use wins/losses.

If ranking were based on run differential, the Bills and the Cowboys would've had a bye week instead of the Titans and Packers
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:09 pm If ranking were based on run differential, the Bills and the Cowboys would've had a bye week instead of the Titans and Packers
How is that? Didn't the Bills and Cowboys both have a zero run differential?
Volante

Post by Volante »

mahatma wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 am
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:09 pm If ranking were based on run differential, the Bills and the Cowboys would've had a bye week instead of the Titans and Packers
I guess it's actually point diff...and Google corrected my MLB brain without even hinting at it either.

Or if this was a query for a cite, this is what I used: https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-p ... fl-in-2021
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
yclept

Post by yclept »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:24 pm Why do you suppose TPTB seem to put so much emphasis on how many GAMES a contestant has won, rather than how much MONEY?

Both are of course important in rating how good a run a player has. But if you gave me a choice between winning 6 games and $120,000 vs. winning "only" 4 or 5 but raking in $150,000, I'd take the latter every time.

I know 6 games would guarantee a ToC slot and "only" 4 might not. But Amy is way beyond that. AS KJ said, she may move into 2nd place all-time in games won this week, but she is still in a distant 4th in money earned.

And please don't take this to suggest any minimizing of Amy's performance. I just think she rightly is in 4th place as ranked by regular-season winnings, a way more telling measure than "3rd-and-soon-possibly-2nd" in "games won.

Thoughts?
I think both work and the only reason why dollars isn’t being brought up is because she is not yet in range to take down Matt’s total. If she keeps winning and gets to $1.4M, I think her rise towards #3 on the money list will begin to be noted.
I still think wins should be the ultimate decider of who gets to tournaments, though. As they say, you play to win the game. And, as others have noted, sometimes your opponents determine your final score more than anything else. Leading $30K-$14K going into FJ leaves much less chance to inflate your score as $30K-$5K does.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mahatma wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:56 am
#1 There's always one.... :roll:

#2 You HAD to drag my beloved Cowboys into this, didn't you!? :evil:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:22 pm #2 You HAD to drag my beloved Cowboys into this, didn't you!? :evil:
I didn't realize anyone was actually a Cowboys fan. I figured everyone hated them because of how popular they are. :D
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 pm
John Boy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:22 pm #2 You HAD to drag my beloved Cowboys into this, didn't you!? :evil:
I didn't realize anyone was actually a Cowboys fan. I figured everyone hated them because of how popular they are. :D
Yogi Berra definitely said that.
Volante

Post by Volante »

mahatma wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:38 pm
I'm still confused...did this still all originate from me mixing up 'run' for 'point'?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:14 pm
I'm still confused...did this still all originate from me mixing up 'run' for 'point'?
We're way past that now and on to making fun of John Boy's Cowboys fandom by doing a variation of an old Yogi Berra-ism.
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:18 pm
We're way past that now and on to making fun of John Boy's Cowboys fandom by doing a variation of an old Yogi Berra-ism.
Isn't being a Cowboy fan punishment enough? It's over cause the ref said it was over.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:18 pm

Isn't being a Cowboy fan punishment enough? It's over cause the ref said it was over.
Now you're caught up! I didn't even have to give you directions.
Spoiler
When you come to a dork in the road, take it.