Wednesday, January 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DysonSphere »

I thought FJ was very easy, but then I'm in the legal field where The Paper Chase is a common culture point. I suppose it was damn near impossible if you didn't know The Paper Chase was a law school movie.

42 correct is a so-so- score for me, but I was surprised at the whiffs on both Olmecs and Chichen Itza. I thought those were both widely common knowledge in the U.S.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:48 pm I thought FJ was very easy, but then I'm in the legal field where The Paper Chase is a common culture point. I suppose it was damn near impossible if you didn't know The Paper Chase was a law school movie.
I don't know about impossible. Definitely more of a challenge. But Clueless=Ditzy Blonde + 2001 movie would get you there.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

In college, they played The Paper Chase right before finals each semester. Instaget.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Wasn't Amy something like 17 for 18 at one point? Anyone have the splits offhand?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:16 pm Wasn't Amy something like 17 for 18 at one point? Anyone have the splits offhand?
It looks like she was 14/15 at one point. I was tracking up to game 31 because somehow I got 6 of her first 8 misses.

eta: Amy missed 10 of 21 since game 15; for a 25 of 36 record. I wonder if someone is going to do the money math.

Here's the partial report. I'll edit it up to date if someone doesn't beat me to it :).

Contains FJ spoilers
Spoiler
Game 5: Ottawa (tfb miss)
Game 16: Steeplechase
Game 18: Mt. Everest
Game 23: Lennon/McCarthy (tfb miss)
Game 25: Circus
Game 29: Van Gogh
Game 30: Annie
Game 31: Douglass
eta:
misses on games 33,35,36
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Playing from the daily thread, not my day. I have seen the movie in the clue, and loved Reese Witherspoon. I've heard of The Paper Chase and Clueless, but the second one describes me. End of my perfecto this week.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:43 pm The writers struck out with the Mamoa clue being untimely ...
The J! curse strikes in mysterious ways...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I've seen the 3 movies (and The Paper Chase resides on my DVR from last time it was on TCM, to watch again). but for some reason that title only triggered "school" for me and not "law school"... :oops: Ken got me to it immediately, and it was so obvious!
On the other hand, i've felt competitive with Amy this week, for the first time in a while...
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I knew The Paper Chase was set in law school (loved the movie in college), have never seen Clueless or Legally Blonde, but of course knew enough about them to get the answer.
I went "Nooooo!" when Dimitri only wagered $200 on his Daily Double-not that it mattered, but still....
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

No one has mentioned that the paper chase also became a TV series that ran for several seasons. I didn't even bother with the think music. I pushed the skip button on my remote before Ken was finished reading the clue.

Amy underperforms at Final Jeopardy. I don't think she's going to last long in the Tournament of Champions.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I had never heard of The Paper Chase

I thought my Catch Me If You Can guess was a pretty good one. Clueless = young person over their head and I thought The Paper Chase sounded like a money scheme or something. Catch Me If You Can was 2002 apparently.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:31 am the paper chase also became a TV series that ran for several seasons
Kind of an interesting run history, too, not that it'll ever come up as J! material. CBS canceled the show after one season in the late '70s. PBS picked it up for reruns. Then, four years later, the pay-cable channel Showtime brought it back into production for another three seasons with the two lead stars, the inimitable John Houseman as Prof. Charles W. Kingsfield Jr., reprising his role from the feature film, and James Stephens as the law student James T. Hart, replacing the film's Timothy Bottoms. If you want the DVDs they go for $100-$200(!)
yclept

Post by yclept »

Put this one in the “it doesn’t matter how you get there as long as you do” category for me. I simply knew what Clueless was about and linked that to a movie that was probably released in the 2001 timeframe. The Paper Chase wasn’t even a part of my thinking because I didn’t know a thing about that movie.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

I suspected the PEI clue triple stumper would not go over well in Canada...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... -1.6321346
davey

Post by davey »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:28 pm I suspected the PEI clue triple stumper would not go over well in Canada...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... -1.6321346
The 3-stump was such a puzzler since "island" and 'province" were in the clue...The potatoes were immaterial, and how often can you say that about potatoes? That was the time for a losing challenger to...take a guess! The 2d Daily Double was still uncovered (and Amy happened to pick it next)...

For the recent FJ about cemeteries I looked up Pere Lachaise (yes, during the commercial break...) Otherwise I'm not sure I would have got that one last night...
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Archivists wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:10 am Image
How are you able to tell whether a contestant had attempted to buzz-in?
Also, has Amy been buzzing for the first clue of the game?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:49 pm How are you able to tell whether a contestant had attempted to buzz-in?
How is Jeopardy! able to tell? Their lockout system receives the signal when the contestant presses the signaling device button, even if it does not result in a successful buzz?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:11 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:49 pm How are you able to tell whether a contestant had attempted to buzz-in?
How is Jeopardy! able to tell? Their lockout system receives the signal when the contestant presses the signaling device button, even if it does not result in a successful buzz?
I'm really curious about what her buzz-in statistics looked like at the beginning of her run.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:11 pm
this is available to the public as a stat? I was not aware of this.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

CyrusChan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:37 pm this is available to the public as a stat? I was not aware of this.
As of last Wednesday 1/12. It was the big news of last week.