Thursday, January 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Lach Trash: President Warren G. Harding

FJ: :( (Sooner)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:32 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS IN AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1890 Census reported that "the unsettled area has been so broken into… that there can hardly be said to be a" this

Amy Schneider: 46400+25000=71400 (37x = $1,253,200)
Patrick Lackey: 3000+2000=5000
Brittany Love: minus 2800
To compare, Ken had $1,246,660 after 37 games. He won $75,000 the next game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For a comparison of the Big 4 I'm curious if anyone has it handy for number of opponents who did not play the Final Jeopardy! round?

For old school everyone played FJ! against Spangenberg while Leszek KOed three in his five games.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm If the powers want Amy's streak to go longer it's easy enough to increase the odds through casting choices. If the powers want Amy's streak to end before she threatens Ken then it should not be difficult to bring in players who will be attempting to ring in on more clues than has been showing to happen since the box scores began.

With ratings up the suits may be quite happy with how things are going.
How would the suits know when to wrench up the works in the past without knowledge of the ratings of today?... Did Biff go back in time and give them a copy of Gray's Nielsen Almanac 2021-2022?

Took until after the last clue in the Anti- category for me to catch on to the theme. :roll:

I hope I would've had the reaction to deliver 'What is Shazam.' as deadpan as I did at home

Unintentional BWA... BP as a Texas company. That's an ooooh moment.

Curious how Chevron fared; Chevron bought Texaco back in 2001 and dropped the Tex name in 2005. I'm familiar with it thanks to the Donziger case; I can't imagine it otherwise being common recent knowledge.

RIght idea on FJ, but landed on 'wilderness'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

What happened in the LIGHTS! CAMERA! category? After giving the correct response for the $200 clue, we heard Brittany ask for the $600 clue (although the camera cut away from her mouth before she got to saying "600"). The $600 clue then immediately came up full screen, even though the directing is usually such that when contestants don't progress sequentially down the category, the show takes a wide shot of the board. Then, after the clue was played (with $400 awarded), another $600 clue was called for and played.

Also unusual: Amy ran A FARCE TO BE RECKONED WITH, in order, without jumping to any other categories in between, but Ken simply acknowledged the feat without any applause.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:38 pm
RIght idea on FJ, but landed on 'wilderness'
That's the only other word I can think of that might be defined as "the unsettled area." But there's wilderness all over the world. "Frontier" has a particular American meaning, which makes sense of the category. That's why I started with the first word but moved on to the second one fast...But I said yesterday I've been feeling competitive with Amy. Not today... :oops:
I'm less disturbed by Amy's blind spots with presidents than when the other players can't take advantage...even a guess!... :roll:
davey

Post by davey »

MSTieScott wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 pm What happened in the LIGHTS! CAMERA! category? After giving the correct response for the $200 clue, we heard Brittany ask for the $600 clue (although the camera cut away from her mouth before she got to saying "600"). The $600 clue then immediately came up full screen, even though the directing is usually such that when contestants don't progress sequentially down the category, the show takes a wide shot of the board. Then, after the clue was played (with $400 awarded), another $600 clue was called for and played.
Yes, that was weird, especially since they showed a $600 "card" twice.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:06 pm The first clue in ALSO KNOWN AS made me think it would be fun to have a whole category called DON'T SAY IT! where the host explains "These are things you're not supposed to say, but if you want to get the clue right you'll have to say them."

$200 In the Harry Potter universe, the prudent and skittish refer to this individual as he-who-must-not-be-named

$400 Theater performers prefer to say "break a leg" instead of this unlucky phrase

$600 In Ancient Greece, you should refer to the kindly ones, not to these

$800 Some ancient Romans wrote the number 4 as IIII so they wouldn't start spelling this god's name without finishing the job

$1000 An episode of the X-Files had some girls saying this name repeatedly into mirror with unfortunate results
Spoiler
$200 Voldemort

$400 Good luck

$600 the Furies

$800 Jupiter (IVPITER)

$1000 What is Bloody Mary? [host: I'm sorry?] Bloody Mary?... [host: Better stop right there! These surfaces are awful shiny. Correct. Pick the next clue.]
Good category. We had Candyman the other day. But I'll say I find the tittering over the use of the word Macbeth tiresome..,especially since the superstition says you shouldn't use it in a theater. At least Amy didn't say The Scottish Play... :roll:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:24 pm Good category. We had Candyman the other day. But I'll say I find the tittering over the use of the word Macbeth tiresome..,especially since the superstition says you shouldn't use it in a theater. At least Amy didn't say The Scottish Play... :roll:
Given that the clue already contained that phrase, that would've been even more awkward than the time Arthur Chu tried to use that circumlocution. (Fun fact: Chu then lost his very next game.)
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:35 pm
davey wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:24 pm Good category. We had Candyman the other day. But I'll say I find the tittering over the use of the word Macbeth tiresome..,especially since the superstition says you shouldn't use it in a theater. At least Amy didn't say The Scottish Play... :roll:
Given that the clue already contained that phrase, that would've been even more awkward than the time Arthur Chu tried to use that circumlocution. (Fun fact: Chu then lost his very next game.)
Thanks, I forgot that!...The other day Stephen Colbert had on the actor Corey Hawkins, who's in the Denzel Washington Macbeth. I was encouraged when he said he didn't care about the superstition. I know people who won't even write the title... :roll:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Playing from the daily thread:
I teetered and tottered between "frontier", and "wild frontier", and went with the Davy Crockett song thinking it must have been a meme in the 19th century, albeit way before 1890.
Good enough for Learned League, but I assume a negative on FJ :cry: .

I've found the buzzkill of these beatdowns just too much to watch as appointment TV. The recent advent of the buzzer stats just confirms my bias that this is not a fair contest of mental acumen. Nothing to do with Amy, just like Matt and James, she is very modest and deferential (aka "class"). I bailed on the others during their runs as well. I'll catch eps when I'm already inside and multi-tasking, but I'm quite happy following the game highlights here. Mark made a pitch perfect post about how to watch this new Omicron variant of Jeopardy, but rooting for 3 players to make it to Final J! is a pretty tough sell.

I have pondered alternate game formats since we can't really figure out a way to level the playing field against a player with thousands of buzzer pushes against rookies. One that strikes me would be just alternate turns with the shooter deciding which clue to call. Missed answers remain available for the next player. You could even lose a turn for a miss, as well as the dollar damage. Dare a player risk their turn calling a 2000 dollar clue in a weak category? Just pondering :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Xu Donym wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm If the powers want Amy's streak to go longer it's easy enough to increase the odds through casting choices. If the powers want Amy's streak to end before she threatens Ken then it should not be difficult to bring in players who will be attempting to ring in on more clues than has been showing to happen since the box scores began.
And if such a tipping of the scales were ever found to have been attempted in any conscious manner, the FCC could very easily sic an army of lawyers on Jeopardy! and its producers, with the resulting legal costs and bad publicity surely costing the show a lot more than whatever it costs to simply let Jeopardamy's streak run its natural course.
Game shows are allowed to consciously "tip the scales" by using specific criteria for choosing contestants -- and possibly changing them from time to time -- without running afoul of quiz show rigging laws. (The rigging laws would come into play if they gave information to other contestants that they didn't give to Amy.)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Not familiar with the quote in FJ, but frontier was the only thing I could think of.
There was a marked drop in buzzer attempts in Double Jeopardy for Patrick and Brittany - I find it hard to believe that this was all a knowledge deficit.
Were they not able to even attempt to buzz in?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

FINALLY broke my FJ losing streak... It went almost a month.
yclept

Post by yclept »

When Amy is in this kind of zone, there isn’t much the challengers can do. As I like to say, we have no idea how good some of these players would be under normal circumstances. Put these challengers up against a typical 1-day, $18K champion and how do they fare? It is an unanswerable question. It has to be frustrating to finally reach your dream only to see a buzzsaw waiting for you.

She had a shot tonight to reach the magical $80K mark with an even bigger FJ wager. She had to settle for a magical $70K instead. I remember when Ken hit $70,000+ and how unbeatable of a record it seemed to be.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RetiredDoc wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 am
There was a marked drop in buzzer attempts in Double Jeopardy for Patrick and Brittany - I find it hard to believe that this was all a knowledge deficit.
I think there's a disheartened factor. They get to a point of why bother trying. The times they tried was dramatically lower in DJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Awesome performance by Amy as always. Screw the haters.

Any idea on how to get this FJ! right?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 am
RetiredDoc wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 am There was a marked drop in buzzer attempts in Double Jeopardy for Patrick and Brittany - I find it hard to believe that this was all a knowledge deficit.
I think there's a disheartened factor. They get to a point of why bother trying. The times they tried was dramatically lower in DJ.
Seeing those stats makes me feel just as disheartened. Amy's great, but single-digit attempts are an indication that something's not working. I blame the CC's.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Maybe I’m overlooking something here, but the box score indicates to me that Amy buzzes in on 20/30 clues per round and is successful 80% of the time. That means that virtually half the clues are up for grabs. It seems to me that a strong player could be competitive even if no more successful than these folks at ringing in against her.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Patrick was at a point he was guaranteed second as long as he didn’t miss anything. So why risk it?