Thursday, January 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Thursday, January 20, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:55 am Maybe I’m overlooking something here, but the box score indicates to me that Amy buzzes in on 20/30 clues per round and is successful 80% of the time. That means that virtually half the clues are up for grabs. It seems to me that a strong player could be competitive even if no more successful than these folks at ringing in against her.
with two players going for that cleanup, that person would still need a strong buzzer.

you don't have to be able to outrun the bear, you only have to be faster than the slowest person who is also trying to outrun the bear...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RetiredDoc
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RetiredDoc »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 am
RetiredDoc wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:01 am
There was a marked drop in buzzer attempts in Double Jeopardy for Patrick and Brittany - I find it hard to believe that this was all a knowledge deficit.
Were they not able to even attempt to buzz in?
I think there's a disheartened factor. They get to a point of why bother trying. The times they tried was dramatically lower in DJ.
Yeah, it seems with that low a number of buzzer attempts, they just give up even trying. It has to be so discouraging to not even feel somewhat competitive.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

theFJguy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:57 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:45 pm
theFJguy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:32 pm Amy Schneider: 46400+25000=71400 (37x = $1,253,200)
Patrick Lackey: 3000+2000=50000
Brittany Love: minus 2800
The scary thing is that even with the added zero, Patrick still lost. :shock:
Thanks for notifying me about the typo using your brand of humor. Fixed.
I did a Ctrl+F for "typo" here seeking mention of the misspelling of "minister" in the South Asia $1200 DD, which I see Mark has recorded in the archive. So rare to see one on the show that I took a picture.

LT: Harding; phrases, Halliburton

Random fact: my son was probably one of the first people vaccinated against HPV with Gardasil back in 2008.
In and out of the pool four times
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Xu Donym wrote:
Golf wrote: With Holzhauer wagering, this game probably breaks the single day winnings mark.... winning over 141k in one game would have been pretty cool.
Maybe if Amy surpasses Matt Amodio's winning streak next week, she will feel more inclined to start swinging for the bleachers and risking a loss in exchange for showing up in the "Single-Game Winnings" column at the Jeopardy.com Hall of Fame. Certainly, if she lasts for another seven weeks after that and passes Ken Jennings, I think there'll be a lot of disappointment if by then she hasn't at least once played a game that puts her in better than 11th place for single-game winnings. She's capable of it, as today's game demonstrates; she just doesn't seem to like the risk-reward balance involved in the attempt. Then again, James H. is a professional gambler; Amy is an engineering manager. It could be dangerous to be an engineering manager with a gambler's appetite for risk. So maybe her somewhat cautious approach is pretty well baked-in.
Another detail that Amy could have picked up on, if she had the 'Holzhauer mindset' in this game;
She had solved only two of the previous eight FJs. It might be optimistic to think she would be due for a 'softball' type clue. The odds were in her favor.
I would not be surprised if she never gets another opportunity to wager for $80 Grand without risk of losing the game.

Unlike Matt and James, she continues to be gun shy on early DDs. 4400 plus 2000 for her is just as pathetic as her challengers' frequent hapless wagers.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:42 am Unlike Matt and James, she continues to be gun shy on early DDs. 4400 plus 2000 for her is just as pathetic as her challengers' frequent hapless wagers.
Pathetic? ::Rolls eyes:: Yeah, she's been very unsuccessful with her strategy.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My main takeaway from these buzzer stats is wondering what could have been with Andrew He.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:38 pm I hope I would've had the reaction to deliver 'What is Shazam.' as deadpan as I did at home
I couldn't have replied as Billy Batson. But I could have as Gomer Pyle.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by da Doctah »

Ken was pretty glib about Amy tying for second place in number of games won, but he completely glossed over how the same day had her at exactly half of his own first-place record in the same category.