Friday, January 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, January 21, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:33 pm If there's room on the poll, I'm curious how many knew the nickname of Mozart's 41st symphony. I picked that trash up from podium 4.
Whoever gets that definitely has The Right Stuff.

Instafinal. Sometimes you get the I piece exactly when you want it
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I liked this FJ, even though I got it wrong. I assumed the discovery of wood involved trees, so I was thinking paleontology rather than archaeology, and I could only guess a random mountain.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Let’s see. You’re playing a super champ, and one by reputation (if not actual observation) is fast on the signaling device. You’re hanging with her and hit the first DD and bet…. $1K??? Tell me again that these folks are playing to win. Easy FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:04 pm I liked this FJ, even though I got it wrong. I assumed the discovery of wood involved trees, so I was thinking paleontology rather than trees, and I could only guess a random mountain.
Trees was my thought, too. I wagged Mont Blanc.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:07 pm Let’s see. You’re playing a super champ, and one by reputation (if not actual observation) is fast on the signaling device. You’re hanging with her and hit the first DD and bet…. $1K??? Tell me again that these folks are playing to win. Easy FJ.
And unlike Amy's common practice, he was seeking the DD, witness his decision to skip over the $600 clue.... :o
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I did not make the connection for FJ so had no clue - thus ends my 9-day streak.
Frustrating to see another player not go all in on their Daily Double - it's nerve-wracking for sure, but playing against a superchamp, you just have to gird your loins and go for it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:16 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:04 pm I liked this FJ, even though I got it wrong. I assumed the discovery of wood involved trees, so I was thinking paleontology rather than trees, and I could only guess a random mountain.
Trees was my thought, too. I wagged Mont Blanc.
I meant to say "I was thinking paleontology rather than archaeology" but got distracted. I'm editing now.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 pm Wood on a mountain?? I could understand someone not remembering the right Biblical mountain, but I was surprised the challengers were on the wrong continents...
WIth such a generic category ("Mountains"), I totally understand why the contestants may have looked at the clue as more geology-based or dendrology -based instead of theology-based.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:47 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:33 pm If there's room on the poll, I'm curious how many knew the nickname of Mozart's 41st symphony. I picked that trash up from podium 4.
I knew it because we used to have a CD with Mozart's 40th and 41st symphonies. The 40th is one of my favorite classical pieces.
In and out of the pool four times
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

reddpen wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:24 am
I knew it because we used to have a CD with Mozart's 40th and 41st symphonies. The 40th is one of my favorite classical pieces.

You can get a 170 CD set with the complete works of Mozart
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

17,000 feet... I could think of a number of 20k+ mountains, and a bunch around 14k-ish. Had zero idea how tall Ararat is.

I should have caught the hint of "supposedly" the wood was found, possibly leading me toward the Biblical fairy tale, but did not.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

To me, this was a slam dunk FJ. I was dumbfounded at the two challengers' incorrect responses.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Woof wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:07 pm Let’s see. You’re playing a super champ, and one by reputation (if not actual observation) is fast on the signaling device. You’re hanging with her and hit the first DD and bet…. $1K??? Tell me again that these folks are playing to win. Easy FJ.
Ditto.
The game started with glimmer of hope. Amy didn't have to put it out. Surprised at FJ responses. I guess if you average Kilimanjaro and Matterhorn you will end around 17k.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Heck, I think I didn't even get off of North America.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

For anyone with even a passing knowledge of classical music, the "Jupiter" is an old friend. The Ives, on the other hand, was a total mystery.

For those who are as leery of classical as I am of hip-hop, perhaps the lesson is to bone up on the pieces with catchy nicknames. They asked about the "Jupiter," not Mozart's 40th symphony which is just as wonderful but has no nickname.

Somebody help me: What would be the equivalent way to bone up on hip-hop?
yclept

Post by yclept »

Ken (paraphrasing): “You see how well Amy has been playing…”
Contestant: “I’ll bet $1,000”
———
Amy wins this game regardless, but at that moment it was a freaking certainty.

Amy had a vulnerable FJ stretch for a while there, but nobody did enough to unseat her. Every game is essentially Amy vs. the house. And all I can think about is how crazy it would be if she is still at that podium for the next federal holiday. Because if she is, the excitement over potentially taking down Ken would be at a fever pitch.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DavidRosen wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:32 am
For anyone with even a passing knowledge of classical music, the "Jupiter" is an old friend. The Ives, on the other hand, was a total mystery.

For those who are as leery of classical as I am of hip-hop, perhaps the lesson is to bone up on the pieces with catchy nicknames. They asked about the "Jupiter," not Mozart's 40th symphony which is just as wonderful but has no nickname.

Somebody help me: What would be the equivalent way to bone up on hip-hop?
My first thought was, "You've been on J!, so why?"

I would start at the Archive for prior clues: https://www.j-archive.com/search.php?se ... mit=Search

YouTube can help with listening to songs or whatever source you have for various station formats. For me it's Amazon music or Comcast music channels.

If you come across a bestselling list of songs in a newspaper or magazine take a little time to look it over.

On TV sometimes I pick up hip-hop knowledge from having Extra & TMZ Live on as background noise.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:37 pm On the other hand, I don't know the Ives at all, but since "What a" was in quotes, I realized what hymn was being hinted at.
Yeah, that's definitely the easy (and, I assume, expected) way in. This is one of those rare occasions where I got distracted by having too much information at my disposal. Given the word "hymn" and spotted "what a", finishing the phrase with "friend we have in Jesus" should've been no problem.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What's the connection? IMDB says The Right Stuff has the Jupiter movement from Holst's Planets, but no Mozart.

I keep meaning to see The Right Stuff, but it's over 3 hours long and the internet has destroyed my attention squirrel.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:51 pm
What's the connection? IMDB says The Right Stuff has the Jupiter movement from Holst's Planets, but no Mozart.

I keep meaning to see The Right Stuff, but it's over 3 hours long and the internet has destroyed my attention squirrel.
Welp, I've clearly mixed that up then...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)